1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Beijing Olympics 10th anniversary

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by mr_shadow, Aug 8, 2018.

1. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden

Share your memories.

For me the most lasting impact was not so much the games themselves, but rather all the surrounding hype about China's rise to world power, which played a big role in my choosing Chinese as my major at Uppsala University, where I enrolled about one month after the games finished. And here I am 10 years later doing a Ph.D. in the same subject...

But sports-wise it was also the first Olympics that I actually watched with any kind of active interest. Before 2008 I had been largely indifferent to sport, but here I got kind of suckered in because of my budding interest in Asia, and I've faithfully watched all games ever since. Even attending Pyeongchang 2018 in person.

I've re-watched the opening ceremony like two or three times through the years (another viewing planned for tonight), and it's kind of surreal that you can see Zhou Yongkang and Bo Xilai on the podium. Back then they were still respected members of the Politburo, but they've since been purged and are both in jail. You can also see Xi Jinping lurking about, who at the time was Hu Jintao's vice president. Nobody back then had any idea he would go on to become the most powerful leader since Mao.

Tags:
  2. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    My best memory was that me and my sisters were laughing at the overly patriotic NBC coverage.

On one instance they had a hologram of Michael Phelps and were analyzing his body proportion to explain why he was so good at swimming,

Utter nonesense.

3. Mider T VM Rapist

Meh. Good opening ceremony. Michael Phelps did work. That's about it. Nothing compared to the fun of the Sydney or Atlanta Olympics.

4. BaneBustingEllesHatchery Spawn More Overlords

10 years ago got to remember everything that happened :eek:
    will have to give it a tossup, the US Womens 4x100m relay getting disqualified in a semi when they were the gold medal favorites and that disappointment vs Usain Bolts dominance on the track, I remember the videos of him smiling not even in a full sprint across the finish line and still setting a World Record. Fastest Man in history for a reason.