1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Best Final Fantasy game for Playstation

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by ZabuzaKakashi, Sep 23, 2005.

1. ZabuzaKakashi Ginbuza Izurukashi

Hi, all.

It was my birthday recently and I've come into a bit of money (not enough for a ps2 mind you, but enough) So I was wondering, which Final Fantasy game will give me a little more bang for my buck? I've only played one before (#2 or 4. However you slice it it's the one with Cecil) (On an old super nintendo that restarted every time it moved :p) but, I'd really like to play the other ones. I'm just wondering what your favorite one from the playstation console was so that I could take a tally and buy the best one.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. stormbreak ......

I loved VII, VIII and X, i haven't played IX much so i really can't say. But FFVII had the best music (IMO) and best characters. FFVIII had a unique battle system and gave you freedom (the world if huge) plus it has a realistic feel with a bit of fantasy. X had the most involving story, as well as good characters, and i loved to replay it.
    I would say get X. then VII and then maybe VIII, in order of what i like to replay :p

3. NecroAngel Member

FF7 or FF8. I, personally, like FF8 more... but most people say FF7 is the best FF game.

4. Birdhouse_05 Rising Ninja Star

Yea it isnt but i think u should save for PS2 then. I thought FFX was the Best final Fantasy ever. Plus i get so annoyed with those crude graphic in ff7 and ff8

5. Mongoloid Gnome Endless

Final Fantasy Tactics hands down. Aside the crappy translation it's my favourite, followed by FFVIII (I'm strange, but oh well...) and FFVII.

6. EndlessRain KB24

Get all of it..hands down. =p
    I havent played Tactics, but if i had time i would.
    FFIX > [i dunno i luved taht game.] Heck all them combined can equal to one brand new ps2 game so get em =p

7. Id The Demon of Elru

I had alot of fun with FF Tactics and FF 7 was good to. But FF 8 for the challange (they had the Omega and Ulitma Weapons which are some fucking hard bosses.)

8. Shariyakugan Shadow Warrior :P

heck, theyre all good.
    Though something in FF9 really attracted me.
    Probably it was more in my age setting.
    And probably the easiest one.

9. Seany Banned

7 for me.....

10. TEK Akatsuki

Even though it was technically for SNES, I vote for FF6 since they did make it on Final Fantasy Anthology which was for PS. But if we're talking about FF's that were originally made for PS, then I'd have to go with FF7.

11. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

Final Fantasy 7 If u lose u allways can hit the REstart BUTTON! ( if anyone rembered that line from the comercial when the game got released. because i did!)

12. BakaKage baka-deshi

get FF7 then 8, I didn't get to play 9 so I can't really recommend. Since they are pretty cheap if you can find them, get them all. you won't regret.

13. Kawaii-Chin professional gamer

if you played the old final fantasy games for super nintendo you should go with with they mixed the old with the new but i still found myself playing 7 more than 9 maybe thats because of advent children

14. Shikamaruks ahh... to troublesome...

Go for Final Fantasy Origins:)
    Its 2 fantasy's for the price of one.. what a steal huh..
    But if you care about graphics then go for 8 or 9.. they are just as good as 7 but better graphics..

15. SeruraRenge Reaching infinite

I recommend getting FF Chronicles, because once you start playing Chrono Trigger, you will forget that it even came with FFIV!

16. CrazyMoronX Old Man

FFVIII is a great game, but it isn't for everyone, and takes a bit of getting in to. At first you may hate it, but second or third time picking it up you'll learn to love it.

FFVII is the best on PSX in my opinion, it's almost a sure thing, unlike FFVIII. I'd go with that.

17. Oskar von Reuental ?ロ?

I'd say VII or the Anthology which includes V and VI, but you can go with any of them, really.

18. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

Final Fantasy Tactics all the way.

19. Angelush Legen... dary!

Final Fantasy 7..My first rpg game~! memories~!

20. Hatsune Miku Ievan Polkka

21. theoneandonly is back to his origin

one of these three:
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VII

22. Pazuzu Translavetor

9 > 7 > 8

9 is by far my favorite. I loved the whole atmosphere of it, it could go from cheery to gloomy in seconds, but each extreme felt right, not forced. The medieval setting was great, really added to the RPG feel. And the main character is cheerful and outgoing, and you really grow to care about him and like him, because his enthusiasm keeps you interested.

7 is hugely overhyped, I believe. Sure, it has depth, an engaging story and is really long, but it also has a personality-less main character who it's difficult to care about (and all of whose character development is through flashbacks, not the game itself), and a love interest who's somewhat cardboard too.

8 is...eh. It's a romance story. Main character, love interest, evil enemy, direct antagonist. It has all the makings of a great novel, and it would be if the gameplay system wasn't absolutely dire, and the main character had more of a personality than "...".

23. Miss CCV Alis Volat Propriis.

I remember watching (I sucked at video games back in 1997-98) my cousin play FFVII from hours on end. It was such a beautiful game! Some movie parts almost made me cry! :crying

Ahhh now I want to watch Advent Children!

24. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 9. Those are my favorite rpgs. Its just something about 9 that makes it good. It has everything a game needs. 7 is a classic and it is a great story. I played it 2 years after FF9 and I still loved it even though it was older.

Get those games, I promise you wont be disappointed.

25. Lucero del Alba <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Mah vote stands for VIII, I've not the motivivation to 'splain exactly why at the moment, but it is the best in my mind. 9 had a great atmosphere, but the game itself was juvenilely simplistic. 7 was a great game but it lacked the depth of experience that square had going into making 8 since 7 was the first rpg of its kind and so had a lot fewer mistakes and overall clumsiness you see in 7. [doesn't stop sephy from being the greatest villian ever though, imo]

Tactics is better than all of them when it comes to gameplay and the like, but I still prefer 8 because I am a whore and I need major story-line motivation.

Anthology and Origins....great, but they were great before too. If you would get Origins, pick up Dawn of Souls for GBA instead. It is far superior considering all of the massive content additions like extra dungeons and bosses galore.

Also consider Legend Of the Dragoon, a personal favourite. [absolutely adored the battle system ^^]

26. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

For playstation it's definitly FFVII. The others don't even come close to it in storyline, characters and main character. Cloud Strife is the most badass hero Square has ever created. He's got to looks, the outfits and the moves. The story was very interesting as you really didn't know what was going on between Cloud and Sephiroth, about Sephiroth intentions and about Cloud's past, not to mention having some great tragic moments.

If you add in the SNES, then its somewhat a tie between FF3 & FF7 with FF3 winning by a slight margine. FF3 had the geatest villan, Kefka, he could make you hate him just by his laugh. It also had a very complicated battle system where each character had their own speciality and had to be approched by diffrent manner. Most of the characters were pretty well developped too(storywise) while FF7 had one blind character which made it lost it's edge against FF3, Caith Shit anyone (only character that I never went to 99 with and never will HE LITERARLY SUX, atleast Setzer had a story...).

27. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

I'm gonna go with the Chronicles. It had my favorite FF game (FF4 which had a really good challenge and my 2nd favorite FF last boss song after the FF6 last boss song).

Not only that but they also included my favorite game of all time: Chrono Trigger. It may have been botched a little in the emulation, but at least they tried to make up for it by adding galleries, cinemas, a sound test mode etc, and 3 new songs for the aforementioned gallery part.

28. Lucero del Alba <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Wanna shoot me?

I don't believe that 7 was that great of a game. *shock* It was a revolution, it had great characters and a beautiful story-line, but as is the case with a lot of revolutions, the prototype was shoddily made because they had no way of being experienced in what they were doing, no previous mistakes and things done right to draw from and build on, and you can definitely tell. It should be hailed and praised as the progenitor of the modern rpg, but not as the best, that is naught but foolish sentimentality. There are more things wrong with it than I care to list and just because it holds a special place in our hearts and minds for re-defining a genre doesn't mean that it is fair to bias our opinions, especially when recommending the best to someone who hasn't played it. I love it, and it is a special game to me, but objectively speaking, it is not even close to the best of them.

He never asked which one we liked most, he asked which one was best, and there is a big difference there.

29. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

The thing about FF 7 is that it was a great game but not really a revolution past graphics and music obviously. If you take out the fancy graphics and middi the music up then you have a game with great music (it's still good because Chrono Trigger's sound track didn't have CD quality sound and it was still my favorite sound track), and an awsome story with a good battle system. As for characters and the like, the other FF's had characters just as memorable as the ps and beyond. I'm not saying that to take credit away from FF7 or later because I love those games a lot, I'm just saying that due to the presentation of the game, people tend to add on innovations to the game that could have been done on the previous systems, just in a dumbed down way. Bahamut and the gang could have been done on the snes...it just would have looked uglier and the cinemas could have been the Character models moving around.
    Just wanted to throw that out on the table. I still love the games though and I didn't want to demerrit or offend any fans of the ps and beyond games.

As a side note:
    Did you know that FF tactics story was actually done by the ogre tacts writer? The battle system also had a lot of help from that team as well, so it wasn't purely square. Just how Chrono Trigger Definately wasn't a purely square game.

30. Lucero del Alba <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

^ Precisely. FF7 Did exactly what they all do, is exactly what they all are, but it is given more credit towards its actual worth as a game than is its due because it was the first to be presented like it was. That's a huge thing but it doesn't make the game any better now.

If you go under the aestheic properties of it, its not any better than the rest of the ff games, and if you look at its aethetic quality, that has no standing towards its goodness now, as it was actually not a very pretty game [relatively to what we see now]. Because square didn't know what they were dong yet, seeing as how they had never done it before.

As far as the battle system...it was a battle system. There wasn't anything particularly spectacular about it. I prefer 8's actually, just as I liked the depth of junctioning a lot more than I have the rest of the systems like it. The summons, general like usual ff, bring 'em out they attack, leave, blah blah blah.

The only thing that that gains it so much praise is that it is a first of its kind as far as presentation. It had other great aspects, but nothing out of the normal. And now, looking back, you can't deny that the presentation isn't that great. You have to merit it on sth other than that and it doesn't have any other outstanding [from the rest of ff] qualities.

I'm not saying that I don't have favoritism towards certain things due to sentimentality, I'm saying in a situation where an objective view should be taken, you can't let that factor into your recommendations.

Really, I prefer classic gameplay, even if the games are not the best games that exist [still speaking objectively], I still enjoy them more. CT, Secret of Mana, FF1 [Dawn of Souls remake] are all tied for the spot of my favorite rpg [tied with 8, but that's cause I think that's been their best so far, which could be debated if you don't lke the story or characters. But I did.]. But if someone who didn't share the same bias I did asked me for a recommendation, I wouldn't give them what I enjoy most, I'd give them what is techically best in using the best and most honest judgement [free from my own proofless opinions] that I could.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005