1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Best Horror Movies from each year of the Decade so far? (2010-2018)

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by Bluebeard, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Bluebeard Classy Gent

2011 - You're Next
    2012 - Sinister
    2013 - Evil Dead
    2014 - It Follows
    2015 - Nothing (I found The Witch to be overrated and I either haven't watched some of the other popular horror movies from this year or they were subpar)
    2016 - The Autopsy of Jane Doe
    2017 - It Comes at Night
    2018 - Hereditary

Tags:
  2. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Is "Black Swan" really a horror film though?

I might do my own list later, but commenting on yours, I agree with "It Follows", "Hereditary" and "The Autopsy of Jane Doe", although I'm not sure I'd call the last of those the 'best'. I'd need to see what else came out. It caught me off guard with how good it was though and "It Follows" and "Hereditary" are among the rare horror flicks that actually freaked me out.

I disliked "You're Next", was indifferent to "Evil Dead" and thought "It Came at Night" was overrated. "Sinister" was pretty good, but I felt like the ending kept it from being great.

3. Bluebeard Classy Gent

Black Swan is psychological horror. I know somewhat of a stretch, but that’s what it’s labeled as.

4. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

That's another one I'd call overrated, but like "It Comes At Night", it's still a good movie. I liked "The VVitch", but once again, I didn't have a strong reaction to it.

Alright, so this is a rough list. I might be forgetting something, or might change my mind. I just skimmed through the lists on wikipedia.

2010- Shutter Island
    2011- The Skin I Live In (not sure if this counts; it creeped me out)
    2012- Cabin in the Woods
    2013- Grown Ups 2
    2014- It Follows
    2015- The Final Girls
    2016- The Girl with All the Gifts
    2017- It
    2018- Hereditary

You're right that 2015 wasn't a great year. I really liked "The Final Girls", but I don't know if I would say it's THAT good.

5. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

This should be fun. Will come back to this later.

6. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

2010 - Les nuits rouges du bourreau de jade
    2011 - You're Next
    2012 - Yellow
    2013 - A Field in England
    2014 - Housebound
    2015 - Bone Tomahawk
    2016 - The Void
    2017 - The Ritual
    2018 - Summer of 84

There were some close calls, though. On another day 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2017 could easily have looked different. Had some other films I've rated the same, but this just felt right today.

I just used IMDB and used their release date, and as the genres can sometimes be a bit off there I might have missed a few films. But this looks fairly accurate as far as I remember.

And 2015 had some really impressive films IMO. I've actually rated Bone Tomahawk, Baskin, Tale of Tales, Krampus, Green Room, The VVitch: A New-England Folktale, We Are Still Here, Turbo Kid and Rare Exports the same, but to be quite honest I kinda feel like Bone Tomahawk are a notch above these. One of the coolest western films I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few.

7. Bluebeard Classy Gent

8. Stringer ∟ v a l i a n t

Canada
    I don’t watch as many horror movies as I once did, so I will choose the best from the small pool I saw

Under the Skin — 2013
    Babadook — 2014
    Green room — 2015
    Don’t Breath — 2016 (train to Busan was also pretty nice)
    Get out — 2017

9. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

"Bone Tomahawk" was good, just once again, I don't know if I'd call it great. But yeah, all those 2015 movies you listed were good too.

10. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish Moderator

Peru
    I can't recall that far because I didn't watch many so I'll just name these ones specifically.

2015: Pay the Ghost
    2016: 10 Cloverfield Lane
    2017: Life

And lol @MartialHorror Grown Ups 2? :laugh

11. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

lol, that movie terrified me. Worst comedy of the decade, but the scariest movie of all time.

Spoiler:
    Was wondering if someone could catch that

12. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Yeah, you should. Most people I know didn't like it all too well, but I thought it was close to perfection as far as newer movies goes. It takes the best part from character-driven spaghetti westerns and a certain style of horror from the 70's and early 80's, and blend them into a really unique film. Seems like a lot of people had problems with the really slow-burning and character-driven story. But I really liked it. Atmosphere was top notch, and the film never really goes into exploitation territory, even though it's clearly inspired by exploitation film. Thought it was an interesting choice.

It's also Kurt Russell's best performance, alongside Tarantino's The Hateful Eight, since Tombstone. Also never been impressed by Matthew Fox, but he was fantastic throughout this film.