1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Voting is open in the KCC Haiku Contest!
    Entries can be found here.
    The poll closes on August 24th at 2:59pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice
  5. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest 6!
    Deadline for entries: September 08th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Online Games

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by ZarakiLee, Oct 7, 2006.

1. ZarakiLee

Can someone tell me the best online games for the pc and what their about. and could you tell me if a lot of people play it.

Tags:
  2. BlaZeR

WoW, i played it for a while but the monthly fees are too much so i stopped.

Guildwars is also good,pay one and it's free.Graphics are somewhat similiar to WoW.

And yes alot of people play them both.

3. Aecen

Not to many, WoW is the most popular, which 7 million play around the world, compared to the second which is EQ around 400,000.

Guildwars doesnt have a fee, but its not really a mmorpg.

Theres EQ2 which I have never played.

The next contenders are Vanguard Saga Of Heroes and Warhammer Online, both in beta.

4. essenceofdarkness

maplestory theres about 7 mil and it is world wide if u want a screenshot its my avy . very fun:) i am lvl 90

5. Duy Nguyen

If you're willing to spend some extra money for loads of fun...play WoW.

6. Taffer

Battlefield 2 is a good online game. Although there is a single player mode...the majority of the game is multiplayer. Its not a MMORPG...so if your not into them then theres this.

I agree that wow is the most popular...if you don't ever want to be alone in an online game..go for that.

7. ydraliskos

EvE Online is the biggest mmorpg there is. No shards, just 1 single server, and everyone goes there. When something happens, it affects everyone.

They recently broke 30k concurrent users online too, and their server is the strongest computer cluster in the gaming industry XD

8. Chamcham Trigger

Yeah I suck, but my favorite online game is actually checkers. It would be Chess, but it takes a bit long playing that online.

I figure you don't need a description of checkers or Chess right?

9. martryn

I'm the only apparent supporter of DnD online. It offers different things than WoW:

-WoW has a lot of PvP, DnD Online has PvP only in certain PvP areas.
    -WoW is all about level grinding at low level with very repetitive monsters and quests, DnD Online has NO level grinding.
    -All characters of the same level and class sorta look the same on WoW, while in DnD Online two characters of the same class and level look very different and have different sets of abilities and specializations. There are no "correct" builds in the game for classes.
    -The normal player in WoW is a teenage high school kid. Average age of players of DnD Online is about 28. DnD Online has a much more realistic and mature setting, while WoW comes off as cartoonish and childish.

Alot of DnD Online players were WoW players who got bored of the game and were looking for something new. I haven't heard alot of good things about WoW from these players.

There are some drawbacks to DnD Online. It's not a normal MMORPG. It relies on parties, and there is almost no solo content. They have a really good system for getting into a party, though, and it isn't an issue to find one, but if you're looking for solo content, DnD Online is not for you.

You also don't get exp for killing things. The only exp you get is for completing quests, so if you invest three hours into a quest and then everyone dies, you wasted three hours for nothing (except loot you find on the way).

There isn't a lot of content out for the game. You could probably play for a few months a couple of hours a day before you get through it all, but if you play 8+ hours a day, you can finish everything in a week or two. New content is added every month, though, and a lot of the quests are fun to repeat on different difficulty levels. I play 8-10 hours a week currently and I'm not tired of it, though since I've had it since last spring I have finished everything.

It is a lot of fun, though to create different characters and redo the quests, filling different roles in the party. And because no two characters are alike, you can create a character of the same class and race as another, and still, by choosing different feats and skills and weapon choice, create another character very distinctly different. I currently have six characters;
    1. A 10th level human rogue who specializes in traps and lock picking and general dare-devilry (both of which are beautifully implemented in the game; yes, there is a MMORPG where the party actually wants and NEEDS a rogue).
    2. A 6th level human fighter/rogue who fights with two weapons and likes to trip his opponents and use sneak attacks to maximum effect. He's really sneaky too.
    3. A 5th level drow elf (dark elf) wizard who specializes in fire spells.
    4. A 4th level dwarven cleric who buffs himself up with spells before wading into the thick of combat, pausing only to heal his fellow party members if they're stupid enough to join him. Other clerics stand in the back and exclusively heal (pansies...)
    5. A 4th level human fighter whom I claim is a weapon expert. He knows how to use a lot of weapons, both ranged and melee. He'll swing away with his weapon of choice, a bastard sword and shield combo, though he'll switch to a maul to smash stuff or use both a heavy crossbow or longbow depending on the situation. He also carries lots of throwing daggers and axes because it looks cool to kill kobolds with that stuff.
    6. A 3rd level elven ranger. I take him scouting, sneaking ahead of the party to find foes. He'll pick off the smaller groups before the party gets there using his bow, striking before the enemy has a chance to gather their wits and prepare a defense.

If you want a more mature, adult experience and don't want to worry about PvP or building the perfect character, DnD Online is for you. If you're just looking to goof off and have a good time and don't mind cartoony characters and don't want to think and just want to smash and kill things, WoW is a better choice.

10. Mew♥

Neopets or Maple Story are some of the best online games...in my opinion anyway......:oh

11. Aruarian

EVE Online.

And maybe PlanetSide if you like FPS.

12. Taffer

Arg, forgot about EVE...yeah its is the biggest. I tired the trial but it just wasn't for me....a good alternative if you don't like all the fantasy stuff.

13. Corruption

I like playing battlefield 2, it's not a mmorpg, but the whole game is focused around the online gameplay. Also, City of Heroes/Villains I play alot it's really fun.

14. Taffer

Yup me too......although i prefer COV...i like being the bad guy :p

15. D?j? Vu

Another MMORPG is Dark Ages of Camelot. The graphics aren't as good as WoW or EQ2 but a lot of people play it still and it's pretty good. If your computer isn't all fancy smancy (like mine isn't) then this would probably be the best choice. It has PvP and all the other good stuff.

16. Taffer

I played it for awhile.....i agree its not as popular as the others...but its got a damm good variety of different classes.

17. Corruption

Yea, I play COV, another mmorpg I can think of is FFXl.

18. Carth304

Continuum (A online 2D shooter) very addicting very little have heard of it but it ROCKS! To download go to it was first called Sup Space but now called ContinuumAbout 2000 play it but it has a awsome community where a lot of people no everyone.

They also have a zone called Mystic Kindom it's a MMORPG.

19. AFreak2005

Battlefield 2. You'll waste hours of your life on that game.

20. Jotun

Crap put out from Blizzard, I have more hours on SC/WC than anything else.

If your looking for something that will drain your bank account, your social life, and your sanity then try FFXI. It is like a Blackhole+Crack hybrid thing that keeps on suckin XD

What really makes a game truly fun is the community though, you could play a really shitty game and still love it because of the people.