1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Better At Aikido

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by TheChoji, Nov 12, 2005.

1. TheChoji

I've been taking Aikido for about 6 weeks now, and I have to say my first impression of it was that they would go slow and easy on me since I'm a novice. Wrong! Everyone there was either 4th of 5th cue (blue and yellow belts) besides my friend and I (He will be a yellow belt around January and I have no rank). So obviously they went a little slow at first, but started picking up speed like one of those gay sports cars without a roof. It was challenging and I prevailed slower than most, and somehow I pulled through.

So far the most difficult part of class is stretching because there are so many of them. Especially the backwards rolls (I still a little edgey on names). Can you belive it took me 6 weeks to execute them all by memory!

Here's what I can do now. Four wrist stretches, 3 ab stretches, a forward roll (left and right side) correctly, a backward roll (left side correctly), 2 combos techniques, and how to fall without busting your head open. Not to mention how to put a gee on (the belt was a little tricky at first, but now I know you have to do 2 knots, not just one). I'm really excited because next week I get to start going to adult classes, which will be even harder, but I'm determined to prevail onward. By now you notice I have no talent at all.

So does anyone have any tricks to make my rolls easier? Maybe something that helped you?

Tags:
  2. xeno

Wish I could be of help, but I was always more of a Taekwondo person.

3. Near

4. Quoll

Took Karate for 3 years and I still can't tie the damn belt.

5. Chamcham Trigger

lol practice is the only thing that can help you. Nothing much else.

6. Luckey

So is Aikido just rolling around the place... I was actually interested in taking it, but not anymore.

7. TheChoji

It's all about redirecting force. We don't actually want to hurt the person attacking, just stop them from attacking. For example, we do a lot of grappling and nerve damage. In the advance classes where I'm at some people insert flips into their techniques, which is something I'll never be able to do, to stun the attacker.

8. Kaki

Don't give up! Try for the sweet flips........also I thought the counter style was of a different name....

9. The Fireball Kid

I'm a purple belt in Aikido. I also take Karate.

10. Haruka

I do Shinkage Ryu kenjutsu privately with my sensei where I take Taido.
    And he never starts by streching. We always do breathing exercises before we train. He says when you have a stable mind, your muscles relax. And they actually do.
    Sorry, i can't really help you with streching.

11. meekozy

I used to take Aikido because my dad made me, after doing it for about half an hour, I found out how freaking useless it is, I quitted and went home to play video games. I mean, why would you only do that for self-defence? If someone had a gun, then what are you going to do? Are you going to flip them over with your totally amazing flipping aikido skills? Or are you going to flip them off with your middle finger? What if you want revenge at someone? How are you going to hurt them if Aikido can only be done when someone want to hurt you? Tell them to punch you and flip them over?

Oh well, that was just my opinion, but proffesionals doing Aikido is cool, TheChouji, Keep doing it and you'll be a proffesional someday and you can flip eveyone off!

12. TheChoji

Were I go they don't have a purple belt.......:oh

My sensei is a third degree black belt in Aikido and Go Ju, and he labels the belts like this.

White Belt-No Rank
    White Belt with Stripe-7th Cue
    Yellow Belt-6th Cue
    Yellow Belt with Stripe-5th Cue
    Blue Belt-4th Cue
    Blue Belt with Stripe-3rd Cue
    Brown Belt-2nd Cue
    Brown Belt with Stripe-1st Cue

It takes about 11 years to become a Black Belt if you have great attendence, which means you miss about twice a year.

13. TheChoji

You were in the kid's or begginer's class maybe, and that's gay. It's one of those things where you go on with the gay stuff until it gets really awesome in a couple of weeks.

14. meekozy

^Actually, on the first class, the teacher explained to us how the spiritual power comes within for the whole hour. I had to endure his sucky English which make me go Bleh.

When I heard that Aikido cannot be used to inflict damage on someone before they hurt you I was like. 0_0 not my kind. Because I know right away that it'll be something that cannot be used when your life is in real danger, for example, when a gun is pointed to your head, you can't really do anything with Aikido.

But actually, if dealing with a person that wants to do hand to hand combat, then Aikido might come in very handy, I currently don't know any martial arts but I know how to do a spinning kick

15. TheChoji

They have gun and sword defense in the advance classes. If you really want to have some gun defense take Ju Jit Su.

16. Haruka

Jujutsu is definitely the most effective selfdefense technique in my book.
    I took japanese Jujutsu for 2 years, and went on to blackbelt. There, I stayed for another 6 months and got my 1st degree. It was a pain in the ass to get, because gun and knife grappling tried on you hurts like hell.
    Blackbelt only classes are definitely harder than the advanced level classes.
    My sensei expected alot out of us in order to achieve the next rank.
    It was basicly a war with us pupils to achieve more recognition than others.

17. starphoenix

Aikido is a completely self-defense martial art, so in order to do any moves your opponent has to attack you first. Although I would prefer taking Hapkido because in Aikido when you use your skills the mugger gets back up, but in Hapkido when you use your skills the mugger stays down. Hapkido is also a self-defense martial arts but it is more effective at self-defense.

18. TheChoji

They would have to be one tough, steroid induced, football player to get back up. Nerve damage hurts like hell man!

19. Luckey

Can you flip over a 500lb, 7-foot tall, body-building mugger, with a 12-gauge shotgun?

20. rimpelcut

when you do a movement find the easyest way of you muscles, arms, body to move, so when you do a backward roll and your legs are feeling heavy not moving with the roll, then you need to let your roll go in the roll direction too. Never be afraid to go in a direction. First time you will fall on your hip, next time you will roll on your back more and fly over the ground.
    This is the biggest secret of talanted sporters: they keep there thought on the direction they want to go and then they adjust there body so they can accomplish that. You should feel NO resistance when doing a move, that is your aim. :thumbs DANOONTJE POOOWERRRRR!

21. Efraim Longstocking

I've never done any kind of fighting and though I pretty much suck at all sports I am pretty good at gymnastics. I can do splits and alot of different jumps and I am king at rolls..