1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by mow, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Caitlyn Jenner Nightcrawler

What are some really good crime/mystery/thriller type novels?

2. StarlyMermaid Flower that grew from concrete

The only mystery novels I've read so far are the Sherlock Holmes ones. They're nice V: Nicely written if you like that British style of writing. I had to look up some of the terms because derpAmerican. Anyway, enjoyable and I recommend those if you're interested.

On Topic:
    C: Recently I delved intoooo urban fantasy, contemporary, type of novel and it's super horrible but I guess if you're really into fantasy, it's gloriously fantasy-tic. :hurr It's called Kate Daniels, not the poet but the series. Check it ouuut, man.

3. TTGL Infinity Big Bang Stormer

Any good alien invasion stories? I've read and enjoyed War of the Worlds, The Kraken Wakes and Childhood's End.

4. BigPoppaPump Well-Known Member

Anyone know any good popular books I should read? When I say popular I mean stuff with the popularity as To Catch A Mockingbird or Catcher In The Rye. I need to brush up on more classics but some don't live up to the hype for me and I stop reading.

5. Jirou ★☆

Have you tried reading any of Murakami Haruki's books? They're all great classics which really does live up to the hype like Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, 1Q84, & Kafka on the Shore. I highly recommend those books, especially if you want to read more classics.

6. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

I am planning to read the Dune series soon, since I have never read it, incredibly, and know that it is a very famous series.

However, there are many books in that series, by both the original author and by other authors, as well, so I wish to know how many books a casual reader with no prior experience to the franchise should read, and in what order. I was planning to read the original novel and the five sequels written by Frank Herbert, in order of their date of publication, but would it be a good idea to read any other novels, as well?

7. 7777777 Banned

With Dune, almost all OS sequels are better than the original. Especially Messiah and God Emperor.
    Children of Dune, not so much :defeat

While related to the original, most books are somewhat stand-alone experiences. So while chronological order is always the best way to go as there are necessary transitions, you can do it in number of orders as long as you read Dune first.

As for other authors, I'd stay away.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  8. Hebe Member

People should read Baricco. Everyone should read Baricco. Anything, starting with Novecento and Mr.Gwyn.

Read Baricco, peeps.

9. Sanity Check banned

The 1980's movie Dune directed by David Lynch is a classic even if it does take certain creative liberties with the technology and script. Added replay value, the actor who plays Skye's father in Agents of Shield is cast as Paul Atreides.

Some don't like it much, but it could be up there with Blade Runner and other scifi classics of that era.

10. Hebe Member

Have you tried Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front? Or maybe Joseph Heller's Catch-22 and Closing Time, or Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita (dear, how I loved this one), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

Try around different writing styles, maybe that's why some didn't "live up to the hype".

11. leaf29319319 New Member

The premise of a child-baron just up and deciding to live in the trees, because he can't stand his family any longer seems a bit fanatstic in nature, but this story has a lot more to offer and ist most importantly tremendousy well written. Go read!

12. Melk Warrior

13. Tyrael I prefer the term Dream Weaver

The Howling Miller by Arto Paasilina is really worth checking out. It has a strange fable-ish quality to it, written simply (albeit the English is a twice removed translation). It's kinda quirky and funny, whilst having a bit of a dark and oppressive tone too.

Also Vurt by Jeff Noon because holy fuck. 0_0

14. Dings1977 New Member

15. Rinoa Comfy Crew ❦ Administrator

Portugal
    Book: " Iron Curtain "
    Authour's name: Anne Applebaum
    Genre: Suspense and Espionage
    Target audience: 15+
    Synopsis: At the end of World War II, the Soviet Union to its surprise and delight found itself in control of a huge swath of territory in Eastern Europe. Stalin and his secret police set out to convert a dozen radically different countries to Communism, a completely new political and moral system. In Iron Curtain, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Anne Applebaum describes how the Communist regimes of Eastern Europe were created and what daily life was like once they were complete. She draws on newly opened East European archives, interviews, and personal accounts translated for the first time to portray in devastating detail the dilemmas faced by millions of individuals trying to adjust to a way of life that challenged their every belief and took away everything they had accumulated. Today the Soviet Bloc is a lost civilization, one whose cruelty, paranoia, bizarre morality, and strange aesthetics Applebaum captures in the electrifying pages of Iron Curtain.
    Why You Recommend It: For those who like history and appreciate the theme this book describes and gives us to know immense historical facts of that period in a well described and profound way. I liked it a lot.
    Rating: 8.5/10
    Where to get: I believe that you can find it in any bookstore near you and also in the sales sites.

16. Amon Lancelot The Absolute

Author's Name:- Yoo Heonhwa

Previous Titles By Author:- I don't know any

Genre:- fiction, Isekai, mature, adventure

Target audience :Young Adult

Official Synopses:-
    Do you know how this world ends?

Become the hero and defeat the 72 Demon Lords. The game that was boasted as the absolute hardest strategy game, 『Dungeon Attack』.

I used to be the ‘hero’ that had accomplished everything in this game, but after answering a suspicious survey, I found myself in the game as the weakest Demon Lord, 「Dantalian」.

With only my eloquent tongue and my memories of conquest as a hero—.

In order to survive as Dantalian. I shall tear this world apart.

Spoiler: Why I recommend it

I have read a LOT OF novels — to the extent that I consider myself a Jaded connoisseur — and Dungeon Defense is by far the best Light Novel I've ever read. I feel unabashed when I declare that Dungeon Defense is the Ne Plus Ultra of Light Novels — it is one of the few novels which met my refined palate after all.

Here's the official synopsis:

Here's why you should read this:
    The MC is a Living God.

Nope, he's not OP — in fact, his combat prowess is non-existent — but Dantalian is the ultimate wet dream.

"A drop of genius, a pinch of insanity, a tea spoon of narcissism, and a dose of laziness" what is that you ask? Only the formula for the greatest badass that ever liveth.

MC is smart — I define smart as "impressive applications of common sense". He's smart in the way that he can hang out with guys like Toua Tokuichi, Akiyama Shinichi, Nokoya Yorihiko, Light Yagami, Lawliet, Lelouch VI Brittania — that kind of smart.

He's also a bit insane — or so the plebs say.

This quote has been aptly used to describe Dantalian.

He's a flawless actor and an expert manipulator. He excels at people skills and political machinations. He's a new spin on the whole "Lazy Genius" trope.

Dantalian is an archetype of the brains over brawn stereotype — he has zero combat ability and triumphs through his wit, guile and acting skills. He is praised as "Actor among actors" and "Demon Lord of many faces".

I'll place quotes from Dantalian here to convince you of how awesome he is:

Spoilers ahead:
    Spoiler:

I'll add more pictures in the future.
    Spoiler: Images of Dungeon Defense

Why Dont' you Reccommend It:- Mature content, MC is immoral, and slightly insane.

Rating:- 10/10 it's my favourite novel ever — and I've read A Sing of Ice and Fire and all of Dan Brown's books bar Origin.

Where to get:- Dungeon Defense

17. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Flag:
    Portugal
    any reccs for books that have philosophical themes in the vein of the stranger by albert camus (existentialism and absurdism but im not excluding other schools of thought)?

18. Lucaniel non serviam

plays and collections by samuel beckett
    journey to the end of night by louis ferdinand-celine
    books and plays by sartre like nausea and no exit
    dostoevsky, notes from the underground and to a lesser extent crime and punishment
    that's like the existentialism 101 primer i guess?

also slaughterhouse-five which someone may call me a pleb for including but it's a great book

19. Yasha Procreate

Japan
    The Tale for the Time Being, Ruth Ozeki

20. Onomatopoeia In a word: Brilliant

I've always wanted to try the Dresden Files, but never quite got around to it. Anyone who's a fan know what book I should start with?

21. selfconcile Member

Book Title: The Secret Life of Pronouns: What Our Words Say About Us
    Author's Name: James W. Pennebaker
    Previous Titles By Author:- They mostly have to do with how writing can help deal with traumas and emotions.
    Genre: non-fiction
    Target audience: G?
    Brief Synopsis: All about how the words you use reveal things about you... from what social group you belong to, to how engaged/distracted you are, to whether you're being honest. The words in question are short function words that aren't as noticeable in daily speech, like "the". (The patterns become apparently after, for example, counting the frequency of each word in a piece of speech/text and comparing it to a frequency count in a different speech/text.)
    Why You Recommend It: It's really interesting, and will get you thinking about the words you use and what they say about you, and perhaps how you can use it to identify something you haven't noticed about yourself. (e.g. being more distant than expected with someone)
    Why Don't you Recommend It: It's non-fiction, which means a lot of information is presented without a story to help it flow. It's very interesting, but after a few chapters some information seems to be redundant. I'm all for repeating useful information, but when it isn't embedded that well it makes things more confusing through blurring distinctions and information overload.
    Rating: 8/10

22. Reppuzan New Member

Author's Name: Norton Juster
    Previous Titles By Author: Mostly children's books
    Genre: Fantasy, Adventure (think Alice in Wonderland)
    Target audience: E
    Brief Synopsis: A boy named Milo is utterly miserable. School is a bore, there's nothing to do at home, and nothing for him to find or look for. One day, a mysterious package shows up at his door, which he unpacks and assembles to form a fully functional tollbooth. With the rain doing away with any hope of going outside, Milo decides to drive into it in his functional toy car, only to discover the Kingdom of Wisdom, a world beyond anything he'd ever dreamed of.

Why You Recommend It: I have childish tastes, yes, but this was the book I read as a kid growing up that probably inspired my love of reading in the first place. There's a ton of wonderful imagery and clever wordplay that always keeps me coming back for more as I notice a new thing every time I read. Yes, it's a kid's novel, but between its Word Markets, Subtraction Soups, Symphonies of Colors, and many other memorable locales, it's simply pure delight.

Rating: 9/10 - An amazing, whimsical, yet thoughtful novel that will appeal to both children and adults with active imaginations and an interest in learning.

Where to get: It's relatively cheap to find online ($5 or less) but it's also available at most public libraries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  23. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

@Reppuzan, I read The Phantom Tollbooth when I was younger, and it was a great story; perhaps I may read it again, some day.

I am very fond of medieval fantasy stories, so I am seeking more to read. For reference, some of the more prominent fantasy stories that I have read The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, the Chronicles of Prydain, The Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, virtually everything by Terry Brooks and R.A. Salvatore, and numerous other stories from the Forgotten Realms setting owned by Wizards of the Coast, all of which I enjoyed very much (although I will admit that WoT was unnecessarily long and could be boring at times), so I would be seeking something similar to those.

I seek a medieval fantasy story that will keep the reader engaged and enthralled, and, while I understand that many fantasy series can be repetitive and similar, there is no reason that they cannot have well-developed worlds and characters and a plot that holds the reader in suspense.

In particular, I have heard that the Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock is an excellent example of medieval fiction, but I have never read it, so what does everyone say about that? What recommendations can you make for me regarding medieval fantasy?

24. TheWillOfEvil New Member

By the way, anyone got some incredible fantasy/sci-fi books reccomendations? I want something akin to Warhammer 40.000, Game of Thrones or even Keys to the Kingdom?

25. Aruka Miss Demeanor™

Published: 2004
    Author's Name: Emma Donoghue
    Previous Titles By Author: Kissing the Witch ; Slammerkin
    Genre: Historical Fiction
    Target Audience: Adult

Brief Synposis:

Why You Recommend It: It was a wonderful read. In terms of reading, I don't rely on reviews, nor read them. I liked, even loved this book, to the point I finished it in one sitting. It may not be for everyone, but to me, this title certainly deserves a place in my heart.

Why Dont' you Reccommend It: It's lengthy-ish, but if you enjoy Historical Fiction, then you might enjoy it.

Rating: 10/10.

Where to get:

26. Lord Valgaav My fries

Its an action novel. A lot like a comic or manga series really. Really awesome, I'd reccomend to anyone around here.