1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Books Vs Movies

Discussion in 'Outskirts Battledome Archive' started by Raistlin-sama, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Raistlin-sama Have you been naughty or nice?

In my opinion, books can do a lot of things that movies cannot. However movies can also do things that can't be made in a book.

I think both movies and books, can be good expressions of artistic creativity. In movies the creator can work, with the visual aspects (angels, camera etc), which is of course not possible in books. This can make for much artistic movies, if used rightly by the directors. You can also operate with sounds, and a good soundtrack most definitely amplifies a good movie.

However, books can show you the thoughts of people. The author also have a lot more freedom to make the story exactly as he wants. And the complexity of the plot can be far greater then movies, simply because you can have much more content in a book, then a 2-hours audio-visual creation. The way the language is used, and how you make the sentences is also an amplifier for books, as sound is for movies.

Personally I prefer books, because I like nice long stories, and like to see inside the mind of the characters. Of course it all comes down to personal preference.

However, I love a good movie as well. Of course that should be obvious, since I am a die-hard animefan and anime is basically the same medium as movies. In fact I think that if I take my favorite animes into the equation, it becomes a stalemate.

P.S. A movie based on a book, is obviously always inferior to it's book-counterpart...

Tags:
  2. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

Movies are so much better. They produce everything for you so you can sit back, enjoy it, and be a lazy bastard. However, If it's a movie based on a book then they're usually crap.

3. Jef88 88

i like movies more big fan of every type of movie and i dont read alot so
    but i guess with books you can use youre own imagination more
    Tie i say

4. Gunshin Chocoball Mukai!!111

I used to prefer books, but when you graduate, get a job, and etc.. you'll find that you have less time for them. So i'll go with movies because it's an experience you can share with friends and families (in real time).

I will agree that books generally have more quality than movies.

5. kapsi Banned

I threw out and burned Forrest Gump book after reading 3 pages and the movie was great. And LOTR movies are better than books too. There were other examples but I forgot.

6. TDM Toast

Yeah, I'll vote for movies, you just can't get the same level of comedy. I was a bit pissed that they left out the whole Saruman takes over the Shire in the movies, but I realized that was ridiculously mispalced inthe books.

7. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

They are both evened out really for me at least. I tend to read books alongs side a cd that fits it's overall mood, so basically they are both tied in terms of soundtracks. Movies can be visually challenging and appealing, and te cinematography can be dazzling; but I have a rather overactive imagination, so books tend to gush out similiar results in my head. And I really enjoy delving into the minds of the characters.

I cant choose.

8. Hazu ♥PUCCA LOVE♥

a hundred pages in a book can be over whithin 15 minutes in a movie, while movies can't give the same feeling of living in the world the characters are living in...

can't choose really :darn

9. OniTasku [Weeabro for life]

Though both can be equally great, and some equally horrid, there are subtle and evident differences.

Movies will fill your appetite for the auditory and visual crowds, though leaving out many who strive for a deeper sense of need and leave you craving for more. A book leaves not a detail too little and envelopes you in an immense plot, describing characters, surroundings and the scenes like none other.

In this, I'm going to go with books.

10. DevilB0i Banned

11. Fayt Supersonic

I prefer the book because it makes you a part of the world in opposed to just sitting in a dark room. Also you have your own interpretation of it rather then the directors.

12. Deadpool Crimson King

Books over movies. I wished they had ending in the book for the LorR. THe lost World book was much better than the movie.

13. uncle jafuncle sustenance proxy

Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, and Stanley Kubrick films make me realize movies were once good.

If we're talking modern: Books.

If we're talking in general: Movies.

14. kimikiba The BoneBeast

I like movies more(im to lazy to read books)

15. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I haven't read a book since college, and even then I didn't read a complete book.

Let's face it, reading is boring. Movies are exciting.

:thumbs

16. Raistlin-sama Have you been naughty or nice?

Wait a minute... Did you just say that the LOTR movies are better than the books?
    Oh well, everything is subjective... But still, what the hell?

I will admit that the LOTR books are a bit overrated, but they still are classics, and great pieces of literature. And you saying that the movies overshadow them, makes me want to cry...

17. kapsi Banned

18. Darth Judicar A#1 Roller Rager

I always prefer the books. Much more story-wise and just has stuff the movies don't.

19. Spidey Does whatever a spider can

I can't realllllly make a choice here, since my main goal is to become a film maker, and possibily a screenwriter. But if it really comes down to it, I say films. For me, there is just so much more you can do and express through pictures alone. I love silent films because the really great actors, can portray their emotions without the use of words, only using facial expressions and body language. It is a visual medium, and I've always found those personally more stimulating. So, while both obviously have their strong points, in the, I say movies :)

20. Powerman Well-Known Member

I have always enjoyed books more than movies, because I get to put faces the characters and I think Books are more detailed.

I prefer Books over Movies.

21. Code Zoamelgustar

I prefer books a whole lot more. I have more patience to read a book than to watch a movie... along with books having certain advantages in say being more detailed with greater length and so on.

22. ~ Masamune ~ Old Man Masa

Books of course=you have your own image how the people look,.....and i understand when people are not satisfied when they see the movie of it.

Anywayz books

23. Gene ? ロ?

24. Hitomi_No_Ryu Lost in UkeNaru fantasies~!

Books are so much better since disappointments in movies tend to leave a bigger dent on your psyche then what books can do...

25. G. Hawke The one who left

I adore reading even more more so than gaming.
    Which is suprising considering how much a gamer i am.

26. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

But the book's always better than the movie. A cliche was made out of the whole ordeal.