1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Bowling King

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by JesusFreakDK, May 1, 2005.

1. JesusFreakDK Member

Hmm, I noticed this excellent manga didn't have its own thread, so here 'tis.

I'm not sure how popular or well-known it is, but there are 70+ chapters out so it's been going for awhile. It's translated by Null so you can find it in their IRC or get it (and countless other mangas) at StopTazmo.

The story's main character is a scrawny short kid who's nothing but a troublemaker at school and whose only interests are girls and videogames (I can relate :laugh ). Other than his slightly ecchi eye for cute gals, he also has a ridiculously strong left arm, an exaggerated sense of humor, and even his own posse (consisting of only one person, a kid even smaller than he is). The manga is full of typical manga cliches, such as the pretty damsel in distress who despises the main character, the usual perverted humor, and the pretty boy rival who is always better looking, better qualified, etc. However, it's also full of great humorous cameos, like Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, or even Batman, with the hilarious main character acting out each of these characters. And, of course, we can't forgot the obvious bowling content, with skills, strategies, etc, anything anyone would want to know about bowling!

It seems to be your typical underdog story with a kid who seems to be a nobody, but has a secret talent, and storyline-wise there's nothing confusing or even surprising, but it's still funny and entertaining nonetheless. You can find yourself making parallels with similar "sports" series such as Eyeshield 21, Hajime no Ippo, or Prince of Tennis, but to me the main character just stands out in my mind. I haven't read all that much, so who knows what's in store. But it looks to be turning out to be an interesting read, and worth one time through at least. Check it out! (Perhaps there might be an anime, if there isn't one already.)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2017
    Tags:
  2. bmac1632 Shaq-Fuing All Idiots

i read it and its pretty good...its a pure comedy manga to me at least...sure there is bowling in it but majority of its predictable and you really can only do so much with bowling after all...i too enjoy the main character and find him to be funny..people should give it a try..if you dont like the humor in it than its not worth reading..im surprised how the manga uses american culture for many of its jokes

3. Code Zoamelgustar

I read it a while ago and was hooked though I didn't like the main character's attitude... I didn't get very far as I had to reformat my computer shortly. Probably on a few chapters in with him beating that one chick(or during the battle itself though I think i remember reading some after it).

4. oracle New Member

yeah.. I've read this manga up to vol 17 now. it's an awesome and a fuckin' funny one. It's a rare great piece by a non-Japanese author, you know.
    I think everyone should check it out. It's worth it.

5. boro boro

........this manga..is sooo funny...i laughed so hard reading it, just like yaiba... its worth a read tho...don't be scared of the funny looking pictures tho..

6. JesusFreakDK Member

LOL, indeed, which is the very reason I have trouble pronouncing the main character's name...since I don't know how. *Sweatdrop* Who knew so much technique and turmoil went into bowling? I thought we just slung a ball down a straight lane and tried to knock down some pins. But then again, I barely average past 100, so who am I to say anything.

Definitely agree with you guys though, and some of the references to other "big" animes or American culture is hilarious. They even make fun of Britney Spears, among other things...

Code, I kinda agree with you--I think the main character screws around a little too much, and you want to give him a little credit at times for good deeds but he just screws it up with his obsession over his crush. Plus he seems to have no friends, other than his sidekick (who is awesome)...but still, he has humor value, which is enough, I guess. Hopefully there will be more character development instead of just game after game. I like how the author weaves the storylines of other characters into the main story, though (like Yen Ni).

We should list all the funny references in BK, especially since I don't know them all. Among the funnier ones was Astro Boy, and I think they even had Superman once. And the songs are all American ones too, I think...

BTW, Chapter 77 was recently released...so go get it!

7. sofiane New Member

I'd like to know if there is an anime in preparation

8. OtacontheOtaku ~Sex Guru~

Since the manga is Taiwanese, there's no anime in production, and it's most likely that there never will be T_T.

Overall, this has quickly become my favorite sports/comedy manga. Everything about it ended up being so much fun to read that I couldn't stop XD.

Um... I believe Shautieh's name is pronounced "Shau-teh-Lei" and Tz'zun's name is pronounced "Zoon".

9. metal_uzumaki Yay, I'm a Elite Teacher

Yeah i've read a couple of volumes of this manga a while back. To tell you the truth it got a bit boring for me and i just decided to stop reading it but maybe i should read it again...

10. bangli Konoha no Akuma

i like it very much.. it's very..very..very funny.... few days ago, i just can't help keeping my voice down when i was reading vol.19 at the book store..

Then i just decided to buy it and read it at home where i can laugh as hard as i can...

very recomended...!!!

11. DKFize RaijinKen

I remember this series..it was great, but sometimes kinda redundant and the scanning was slow. It still is my one of my favorites though, I always remember Shautieh's Ultraman pose with the middle finger.

12. JesusFreakDK Member

Wow, I'm surprised to see this thread getting dug up. I think Null is still scanning BK and is around 128 or so. It still remains an excellent series, although I'm not really sure of its direction plotwise. I'm sure we've got more laughs and twists in store--I really would like to see more manga like this.