1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Brain/Human potential

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Near, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Near Seeker of Truth

What exactly do you think the brain has the potential to posess? or maybe even our being as a whole? Is there a definite limitation? If so where do you believe that limitation lies?

I have read that our estimated brain usage from the early 1950 to present has been changed from 50% to 1%, with every decade changing the potential to a larger percentage. could you imagine the possibilities that actually exist when using figuritively 10%+ added to our estimated 1% usuage?

So what are your thoughts. or has this been done? That search thing doesnt work too well.

Tags:
  2. furious styles ☆☆☆☆☆

You better watch out joe, ItO and I might tear this debate up. He doesn't really post outside the fanclubs section anymore, sadly.

Anyhow I would say that it is indeed possible to tap that portion, and that it has been done. That's what geniuses are. People that do simply amazing feats of mind and body. Have you heard of the monks in northeast asia that can hover a couple feet off the ground?

Our brain has the potential to do very much, it's unlocking that potential that's the difficult part.

3. earthshine Banned

basically, extreme telekenisis, mind reading, and god knows what else. if we ever used our potential as a species, we would all become basically gods, so trhank god we dont, or we would have destroyed the world by now(even without psychic powers, whos existence is debatable, our minds would reach a level that our techological level will rise to almost infinite standards, to where we could like make black holes and other scary shit)

4. CrazyMoronX Old Man

We don't use 1% or 10% of our brain, we use 100% of it.

Thinking that using our brain to control objects, or defy the laws of gravity are a bit farfetched, I think... not everyone uses their full potential, and sharpen their minds, but that doesn't mean you're not using your entire brain, you're just not maximizing your potential.

5. rimpelcut You know it, I know it.

Well since as kids we don't give shit to developing our brain and after 18 our brain grows almost not, there are probable only a few people that have developed there brain cappasity good. Ow and only a few people know how to develop your brain efficiently. Did you read that einstein had a piece of brain that was bigger than normal?

6. Near Seeker of Truth

Ebaums world is a scam

I am just saying that what I heard.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  7. Deathinstinct Member

This is mostly based on the 'we only use 10% of our brains' idea. Which is't well explained. A most correct phrasing would be 'We only use 10% of our brain at any one time'. The reason for this is because there is no task that requires the full capabilities. Example something that requires math, geography, and cooking simultaneously. Somewhat bad example, but you get the point.

8. sadated_peon King of the potato people.

it is not a constant 10%, depending on what you are doing depends on which centers of your brain are in use.
    It is never a constant 10%, it is all over the place. In fact we use more and less than 10% depending on what we are doing.
    Things that take higher brain functions, high state of emotion, high states of excitement take a large part of your brain, because so much is dealt with. (defusing a bomb about to kill people)

while things like watching TV take very little brain function.

and where on there did it say you use 1% or 10%?

9. Deathinstinct Member

Yes, Yes, I know. I've heard 1%, 2%, 5%, 10%, and even 20%. Mostly just numbers obtained from varying degrees of averaging and embellishing. Just because 1 site doesn't quantify it doesn't mean it can't be, because EVERYTHING can be quantified (even human life and emotions).

10. sadated_peon King of the potato people.

Where have you heard these?
    What site are you refering to that does give a amount?

11. kire BaTShIT CrAzY

Oh man who knows what the brain can do..The human body is amazing! I m very curious as to where human evolution is going to end up..It would be cool if people had like x-men powers, i want some! But the big question is what people will actually do with the brain power they aquire...Theres always some damn pshyco that screws it up for everyone...

12. hesd Anomic.

We cannot actually localize a certain function in, say, parietal lobe. All neurons are interconnected.They basically communicate to execute a certain command. But this not to say that our logical skill is not the function of our frontal lobe.. it is. it's the "most responsible part" actually. But it takes also other parts of the occipital lobe and parietal lobe to deduce/infer and to conclude. The hypothalamus plays a significant part in thinking as it is the seat of our emotions. Also, there is the left and right hemisphere. Point is, we utilize 100% of our coconut.

studies are ongoing regarding savants (people who, in a matter of seconds, can tell you the 10078th digit in the constant pi, freakish memory, etc.) and geniuses, like me (joke!but jokes are half-meant.lol!) I've read studies about savants and their findings usually are the "differently wired" brain which occurs during conception. Some savants know how to operate ultra large numbers but don't even know how to read..yeah, cases like that. As for the genyouhses, studies are torn between nature and nurture. Most geniuses come from middle-class to wealthy families.

13. kuromoku chasing my destiny.....

brains is something that scientist have began research cince the beginning of science
    and it is the hardest part to ever been understand because human brains is different from each other in this world.
    maybe someone has a higher IQ but they also lack something else that other people has.

14. hesd Anomic.

Yes. I agree with you Kuromoku. Individuals possess multiple intelligence. BTW, there is a book entitled Multiple Intelligence by Howard Gardner. An interesting read.

15. kuromoku chasing my destiny.....

hm.... thanks for the agreeing for my opinion . humans in this world poses different level of thinking , maturity , IQ , and usage of the brains itself .