1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

C12 Convo Thread II: The Speakeasy

Discussion in 'Akihabara TV Channel' started by halfhearted, Jun 16, 2009.

1. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

[divshare]myId=7671775-bc5[/divshare]

More than trying to generate activity in old, outdated conversation, it looked like we might be needing something of a new beginning. Kill off the old, and corrupt the new, I say. So, sit back, relax, enjoy your various sorts of illegal contraband.

Tags:
  2. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Supporting Staff Anime Enthusiast

Okay, where's my new Black Lagoon, Kekkasihi, Kenichi, Shakugan no Shana seasons I've been clamoring for? :pek

3. Felix ̣

4. stardust Active Member

I wouldn't mind being in the audience of that Isaac and Miria show. :lmao

5. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

It's like the opposite of the way Hollywood manufactures movies. Rather than using and abusing a specific concept or story commercially until every last cent of possibility has been squeezed out of it, the Japanese anime industry apparently prefers a more sadistic approach on occasion: waiting until the series accumulates a large fanbase and then stalling on it permanently.

Kind of amusing and yet painful.

To be honest, I just wish that a lot of my favorite manga turned anime weren't given horrible filler endings along with filler content to make the faux-ending make sense. So that I could consider the joy of a canon second season.

EDIT/Sidenote: Oh, and coincidentally, I just started downloading the Kenichi anime yesterday :3

Me neither! I can't think of any character(s) who cause me to be instantly amused on the same level as those two. I imagine much hilarity, especially considering their costumes as a part of some odd, maraca-based floor show XD

Although, speaking of second seasons earlier and the image posted, I'd do horrible things for news of a Baccano! sequel. Especially if it were to include all of the Gandor family goodness that the first season was forced to cut.

6. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

halfhearted the music for the thread is epic :awesome
    My frustration for conversation
    When's my new season of Black Lagoon :yell
    Bones stop trolling FMA:B canon :notrust
    New season of Ouran High School Host Club anyone? :arg
    Soul Eater ending WTF??? :cry
    K-On!'s ending without an epic concert, I want my Fandom back :sun
    Tetsuwan Birdy Decode was epic, really wouldn't mind another season :beardthing
    Bone's come on you could have done better with Xam'd :notrust

7. stardust Active Member

I think their charm comes from how they're both just so happy all the time. It's totally infectious, and I just couldn't help smiling in such a silly way when they showed up. They're so good natured, too~ even when they're attempting to rob someone's mansion. :lmao

Same here, even though I've only read what's up on BakaTsuki. I've heard that Japan didn't respond positively to it though? Of course, that's just hearsay, but I often see someone stating that whenever the topic comes up... I assumed it did well. One of those rare gems, and all that.

Also, did anyone see this on ANN? The director of both Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Sailor Moon, Kunihiko Ikuhara has created a storyboard for an opening of an upcoming anime which will air in two weeks. People are speculating that it may be Aoi Hana, and that wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, insert serious fangasm here. :ohpek

8. Heero Summer

Beck S2, Hyakko S2, FMP!3 and Genshiken 3 fucking where?

9. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

I wholehearted agree with the BeckS2. That would be so epic! :yell

10. Kizaru ̣

Plan to pick up Baccano right after I finish Kemonozume which is great btw everyone should watch it. :yell

I've been hearing nothing but good things about Baccanno, hope I don't get disappointed.

11. ~Shin~ Spectacular Insanity

Wouldn't mind some more Baccano! and Mononoke either.

12. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Supporting Staff Anime Enthusiast

I'd wait for certain series like SnS and Black Lagoon if it means no filler material, because I know it's popular where legions of fans will wait for it no matter what.

I bet Hunter x Hunter is in the same category and most likely could have had their latest arc animated if the mangaka ever got around to finishing it.

It's why I wish at times series would just take an extended break and wait until the series is completely over.

For example, I wouldn't mind waiting until Kekkaishi, Kenichi are completed before seeing another new season. Although by the time that happens there might not be a market out there for it so it may be a gamble.

I also hate to see how fillers have diluted certain series like Shugo Chara because they want to strike while the iron's hot, so pumping the second season with nearly 40 filler episodes in a 52 episode season is crazy.

I wouldn't mind seeing OVA type arcs for D.Grayman once the mangaka comes back to her regular schedule >_>

Genshiken: What's left to animate (unless the manga series is starting a new series, lol)

Hyakko: *agrees* :pek

13. stardust Active Member

I really dislike it when that happens. Although in my case, I end up reading the manga after I've finished the anime adaptation with the filler ending. I then proceed to rage like, nonstop over it. So much wasted potential. I can name two particular anime ending's which make me rage, and both from the same anime studio. Although, with one anime, well, the manga has been on hiatus for quite a few years. And with the other, they couldn't really put in the manga's end to a certain character without delving more into the storyline. Forgivable, I suppose. But still so, so annoying. I'd prefer if, they left the anime end at a certain point where the canon climax of a various arc hits, and that way they can leave it open ended for a second season.

Another one of my pet hates is trying to cram a manga with quite a few volumes into say a, 24/26 episode series. The average amount of volumes that takes up would be around eight, right? It totally boggles my mind when they try and compress something that's over eleven, twelve volumes or so into that amount of episodes. They're bound to lose something, even whole arcs.

@ Kira; With regards to Shugo Chara~ seriously? Almost 4/5s of the season? That is crazy.

14. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

I just started watching Junjou Romantica. Gay lol's :zaru

15. stardust Active Member

I never got what the fuss about Junjou Romantica was, really. Although I watched the anime, and currently read the manga. There are certainly far better shounen-ai/yaoi out there, although most of them aren't animated. Plus, the art in it really, really annoys me. They take angular lines to a whole other level. I would usually be lazy and say it's the old Deen quality kicking in, but the mangas' like that, too. In fact, the anime almost looks better than the manga.

16. Heero Summer

lol well i guess an OVA would do with Genshiken

Spoiler: Manga Spoilers
    its really just the whole Oguie x Sasahara thing, Madarame confession to Kasukabe, the whole bath trip and the ending with everyone graduating

i guess thats it

17. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Supporting Staff Anime Enthusiast

The number of canon episodes doesn't get into the double digits. That's for sure. And I can understand given that they were dangerously close to the manga material which comes out about once a month xDD

So, they introduce a new antagonist in the second season and sprinkle in and episode or two of canon material to keep the audience attention every so often, but it's really not fair what they're doing.

18. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Whats the best shounen-ai/yaoi anime then. Junjou Romantica isn't half bad though i just started, only 2 episodes in. There jaw lines can cut stone XD. I'm going to have to question my sexuality after enjoying this :beardthing

19. stardust Active Member

@ Kira; So, so silly. They really should have let the manga develop before delving into something like that. You're right, it's really not fair at all. I suppose the anime watchers may be content with that set-up, but I can imagine how much it must annoy the people who read the manga alongside it.

@ Ralphy; That's the thing; I don't think that there are any which are that good, being honest. I think Junjou is probably the best out of a, rather bad bunch. Gravitation would usually be mentioned as 'the best shounen-ai', but really, it's just bad. :/ I really liked Loveless, there was more of an overall plot there.

Yaoi wise, it's a horrible cliché, but the Boku no Pico series is decent enough. I only like the first OVA, though. I liked Papa to Kiss in the Dark too, although I wish it was longer. If you can tolerate younger boy/older man, and i*c*st, then give both of them a shot. I'd advise you steer clear of Okane ga Nai, and Enzai. Each are just painfully embarrassing, although if you're giddy enough, Enzai can be hilarious. :awesome

20. ~Shin~ Spectacular Insanity

Is there a difference between "shounen-ai" and "yaoi"?

I was always under the impression that they were interchangeable terms....

21. stardust Active Member

Shounen-ai is more like, 'fluffy' boy's love, without anything too graphic.

Yaoi is full on sexual content.

22. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Supporting Staff Anime Enthusiast

Basically the same difference as Yuri (i.e. Gokujou Drops) and Shoujo-ai (i.e. Kashimashi, Sasameki Koto).

I've read many manga series where they have the Shoujo-ai and Yuri label so you know they have slightly different definitions, but yeah, there often used interchangeably and I'm often guilty of that as well.

23. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

It's called "In the Speakeasy". Seemed appropriate considering the theme <3

I agree. And, the fact that they are so innocent, but not in an irritatingly moral or self-righteous way. They have such good hearts, making them a perfect change of pace for the series to keep it balanced in tone.

I haven't really heard much concerning the anime, to be honest. Or, looked for any information. But, considering that a manga was commissioned afterward and the novels are still being financed makes it seem like the franchise is doing fine. On the other hand, I suppose, the fact that they didn't bother to broadcast the last few episodes but released them with the DVDs doesn't speak very well for its popularity.

Kemonozume <3

I'm not always a fan of the shows which try their damndest to break all of the traditional storytelling "rules", because they seem to be doing it for the sake of doing it rather than having a real intent behind their actions or the fact that there is an absence of intent is their motivation. Kemonozume is probably the exact opposite of that, where so many of its more outrageous aspects seemed deeply purposeful. In particular, I liked how the strange artwork really did a fabulous job of underlining the themes and telling the story as best as it could be told. My only tiny issue was with the seiyuu and the soundtrack; they weren't necessarily bad so much as not up to the standard of the rest of the series' quality.
    Well, the novels > anime > manga (seriously, don't even bother to look at the manga). But, the anime is definitely high quality, and you'd be missing out if you never gave it a try. The narrative techniques, voice acting, soundtrack and interesting art style are all excellent.

I do, as well. But, when I think of the idea, I start to get that same feeling which I always get whenever a new chapter for a series I love gets released. That is to say, I get anxious concerning whether it will be able to maintain the excellence I have come to love and expect. That and it almost feels as though the GitS boat has sailed. As in, it had a window of time where it could've been made as good as it was, and we were lucky enough to have it take that opportunity. But, it's no longer in existence.

If it was anything like the first season, then I think I would metaphorically explode with joy.

I can't wait for that day. Not only out of a desire to see it animated due to a love of the HxH anime over the manga (excluding the Greed Island OVAs with their awkward appearance and inconsistent acting quality) but because (while I do like it) the Chimera Ant arc has me anxious for the series to "get back" to the "main story". In other words, I miss Hisoka, Leorio, Kurapika and characters like the Genei Ryodan.

Erg, like Soul Eater. Man, it started out as such a strong adaptation and took such a dramatic nosedive. At least, the music remained exceptional, I suppose.

Best recent example of a story pacing itself well and leaving an option for a second season that I've seen was probably Skip Beat!

Oh man, I feel you.

One of my greatest annoyances is how really unique manga stories and characters are adapted into generic anime with overly familiar endings/character types. Or, how characters/relations are forced into fanservice archetypes out of keeping with the original manga, messing with the original intent of the story. I don't mind changes, but at least try to retain the same feeling to the content.

Most recent and greatest annoyances in this category: Kuroshitsuji and Nabari no Ou

Kuroshitsuji went from eccentrically dark and extremely temporal urban fantasy dramedy to borderline shotacon melodramatic gothic drama. Nabari no Ou had similar issues including psychological/biological gender problems swept aside for faux BL fanservice and the addition of an incredible drag to the story in its subtraction of both its comedy and complexity.

I get even more irritated when they take such a long, ongoing manga and turn it into a 13 episode series with a closed, filler ending. See Amatsuki.

I've read some decent to great BL manga, but I have yet to see a truly quality yaoi/shounen-ai anime. Since I'm not necessarily in love with the unrealistic homosexual fanservice interactions (male or female), I tend to prefer the few manga which exist with down-to-earth gay relationships. Even better is when the relationships are a sidenote rather than the main point to the story.

This isn't necessarily to say that I never like purely fanservice, unrealistic manga but I could've never rate them very highly if I was trying to take an objective standpoint. Although, the cultural implications of such a series as regards the female psyche as raised in the social environment of Japan are interesting.

Prince of Tennis

That's why I've occasionally found it's easier to just refer to all gay male romance as BL.

24. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Supporting Staff Anime Enthusiast

Cluster's Edge has it beat hands down :awesome

And in terms of series with Shounen-ai material that I find interesting is Mousou Shoujo Otaku-kei and that's just because the main character is a female otaku who enjoys Yaoi, and it isn't the main theme of the series.

The series is easily one of my recent favorites.

25. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

I have to admit that I'm just biased. I can't explain it, but my love of PoT never seems/seemed to die no matter how terrible it became/becomes. And, a part of that innate badness I love so well is its horrible BL(?) fanservice (??) which doesn't suit its genre. Especially the anime, as its filler episodes were so horribly over-the-top in that area, at times.

I'm not surprised that you're fond of the series XD I saw that you were starting to read Morinaga Ai manga, and Mousou Shoujo Otaku-kei comedy always struck me as similar in its comedy. Speaking of which, shounen-ai implications of My Barbarian Girlfriend :lmao

Although, if we are talking Morinaga, Maniattemasu > everything else.

26. ~Shin~ Spectacular Insanity

Actually, Bacccano's DVD sales weren't too bad. Each volume sold about 3000~4000 units. Not great by any means but not a failure.

Here is the source.

You'd be surprised to see how much of the really good anime are considered as failures in terms of DVD sales (Kaiba, Real Drive, Bokurano, Ghost Hound, Kemonozume etc).

As long as Kenji Kamiyama is behind it, I'm not concerned one bit tbh. A lot of people seem to dislike him but IMO he's been one of the most consistently amazing directors I have seen.

Either way, more Section 9 is always good. <3

True.

But given I.G.'s recent DVD sales, I wouldn't be surprised if they resorted to milking their most successful franchise (hard to believe that GiTS sold on the same level as animes like Lucky Star etc.)

You're not the only one.

Another anime I wish would have a sequel. Way too much potential to not have a sequel.

I have nothing against the shounen-ai/yaoi genre but some of the synopsis's I read for these yaoi animes really amaze me. Especially, The Papa to Kiss in the Dark anime.

Though, I guess it's not just yaoi. Hentai, itself has some utterly sick shit.

27. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Supporting Staff Anime Enthusiast

Yeah, the fillers were out there and the movies were even more outrageous. I mean when you're tennis play is responsible for the extinction of dinosaurs you know you stepped into something a bit "out of there" :lmao

Akira x Senbongi works on so many levels. And after reading the specials concerning Senbongi's past and his friendship with Akira, the pairing makes even more sense. Although I honestly feel much more comfortable with the romance between the two when Akira's in Momoi's body :hurr

I've been meaning to start reading that title >_<

28. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

I need an external hardrive. I only have 1 gig of space left on my laptop :arg. Filled it to the brim with, well you guessed it anime, and about 150+ gigs worth :zaru
    I'm still lacking :sun

29. Heero Summer

500GB are damn cheap now a days, hell even 1TB's are getting down there

30. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

What would you say the price ranges are on a 500gb and a 1tb?