1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

Cafe Convo #142 - Two years in the shadow of oppression

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by mr_shadow, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Eros オカマ

Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Iceland, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Belgium, Brazil, Argentina, Japan, Australia, Mexico
    Catdank Faction:
    What a lovely interpretation of The Bible. Kappa

2. Mider T VM Rapist

3. Eros オカマ

Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Iceland, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Belgium, Brazil, Argentina, Japan, Australia, Mexico
    Catdank Faction:
    Also rather ironic. :hestonpls

4. Samus Aran Derp

Just saw the movie called Hunting Ground on Netflix.

Made me not want a daughter and jeez if I have a son like that i'd chop off his dick.

5. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    Well, Jesus didn’t mind that one of his disciples carry a sword in the Mount of Olives. :edu

6. Eros オカマ

Catdank Faction:
    Matthew 26:52-54 English Standard Version (ESV)
    52 Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword. 53 Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?”

7. makeoutparadise I will have my revenge

@mr_shadow got me all nostalgic for my university days
    now I'm reading The book of odes making me want to do calligraphy
    日居月諸、照臨下土。
    乃如之人兮、逝不古處。
    胡能有定、寧不我顧。

8. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    I think he was preaching the right to bear arms, not to use them. This is something the gun nuts don’t understand. The right to bear arms and the right to use them are two different rights. The constitution says nothing about the right to use arms. I does mentioned a regulated militia but as gun nuts like to point out militia and citizens are two different things. :edu

9. Benedict Cumberzatch

Flag:
    Sweden
    lol

10. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    *sarcasm incoming*

Republican American English Standard Version (RAESV)
    52 Then Jesus said to him, “the right to bear swords, being necessary for the safety of the state shall not be infringed. But I remind you to put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword. 53 Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be.

There you go! :zaru
    @baconbits is this right? Jesus really quoted the second amendment 16 centuries before its inception right?

11. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    China isn’t the only thing, the video forgets about the wars and military bases. You tell em’ Ronnie boy:

12. Gunners .

I wasn't joking by the way. The only thing that would stop me is lacking the means to do it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden

14. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Isn't this from like 2010? :hm

You see Iron Man 2 yet? :maybe

Though I'm perplexed at who the Chinese actors in this clip are. The pronunciation is authentic enough, so assuming at least the teacher is a native speaker. But why would you wanna be in something that ridicules your homeland?

They might be from Taiwan, I guess.

15. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    Or traitors who got a big paycheque.

16. wibisana still newbie

Poland
  17. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Isn't Ramadan tomorrow? Wiki says "start date May 17". :hm

18. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    Islamic days starts at dusk (moon rise)

That is why people do tarawih salah this night bfore 17th.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Guess it's time for my annual attempt to read Sahih Bukhari, lol.

Been trying to do that every Ramadan since like 2010, but I always end up forgetting.

I'll go grab it from the university library and see if reading a paper version gets me more motivated than the digital version I had before.

20. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    Why would anyone want to read that (without want to implement it)

Your time better be used to read 1001 or abu nawas story
    That shit is lit

21. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    Also youll get suspicion being ISIS

:blobgift:madsun

22. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Ok, got the book.

Wiki says that the Arabic Bukhari contains 7275 ahadith, but my count of the nine volumes of the English translation (which for some reason have separate numbering schemes) only got it to 7066 - so presumably the translation omits some, but not all, of the supposed 2230 repeated hadith; which have identical text but are sourced from different people.

Be that as it may, let's say that any edition of Bukhari has "around 7000" hadith. And I'm gonna try and read it in one month, which is around 30 days. That works out to 7000/30=233 hadith a day. And then you round upwards to wherever that particular chapter ends to catch the change you need for the final 275 hadith.

By this method the first day's reading assignment would be chapters I-IV, which is 155 pages of bilingual Arabic and English text. Since I don't read Arabic it will functionally be 75 pages of English text. Maybe in reality more like 50 since the paragraph breaks are quite large too.

(Edit: Another reading scheme would be to read a certain number of chapters per day. Bukhari has 93 chapters, so that would make ca. 3 chapters per day. But I think a certain number of hadith per day gives a smoother ride since the chapters are topically arranged and therefore not of uniform length.)

@wibisana

To answer your question, it's funny how I always get this reaction from people when I tell them I'm reading a scriptural text, whether it be the Qur'an or Marx's Capital - first of all they assume that if you're reading the text you must be interested in becoming one of the [religion], and second of all they assume that you must be "studying" the text and not just reading it, because they're always sure to remind you that UNDERSTANDING the scripture takes decades even for professionals.

Which in my opinion is a strange attitude. First of all any intellectual should have a drive to know as much about the world as possible, especially the world outside their own culture. And second of all, how can you become a member of [religion] if you haven't read their book first? It seems a backwards logic that you need to already be a Muslim before you're allowed to touch their scriptures. And similarly any "study" of a book must reasonably suppose that you have read it from beginning to end at least once before you get into the boring analysis of what each comma and space means. Any normal person tries to grasp the whole before going into the details, and if you're not already a member of the religion it's unlikely that you could be interested enough to go into hardcore philology before you even know if you think the book is any good or not.

Anyway, the value of Bukhari to non-Muslims of obviously that you get a better understanding of Sharia, which makes you better equipped to understand why Muslims behave the way they do, and to communicate with them without coming off as a tone-deaf asshole. It's also a great way to win the respect and trust of people in other cultures if you can tell them you've read some text that is fundamental to their civilization (like how Americans are sure to be impressed if a North Korean tells them they've seen Avengers: Infinity War).

23. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    Quran still make sense it is full of story
    Such Yusuf (Joseph?) Yunus (Jones) etc.

While shahih bukhori just compilation you do this dont do that

Just like why would i wanna read US constitution and Laws

24. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    I wish I could read as fast as you. Reading a 155 pages a day was something I had a hard time doing in my grad days.

Because, « A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. » that’s important and all you need to know about the constitution. Sadly, liberal schools keep teaching kids about the non important amendments such as sufferage and post-Civil War. Kids these days do not know the 2nd amendment « full constitution »

25. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    I don't read that fast, lol. My leisurely reading pace is about 50 pages/day. Under duress I can push it to 100 pages/day.

26. afgpride Moderator Moderator potato chip eater

I'm reading The History of Al-Tabari which essentially gives a chronological account of Muhammad's lineage and then documented actions/sayings from around 25 to his death, as well as proceeding dramas centuries later. It's written by a Muslim historian and is the furthest back compilation of the Islamic canon that uses multiple sources and cross references in-page. Reading Ahadith vanilla is essentially like reading random anecdotes, which is fine, but if you're ever interested in a consolidated take in the whole timeline I highly recommend the History of Al-Tabari, starting at volume 6, which I have the PDF for if you ever need it.

• List
  27. Eros オカマ

Catdank Faction:
    Ramadan is starting already? It seems like it was in July or August last year. :psyduck

28. Alwaysmind Lunesdi al vespre.

Switzerland
    Lunar calendars differ year to year.

• List
  29. baconbits Super Moderator

Please vote. The decision is binding, meaning we WILL implement whatever the vote decides.

30. Eros オカマ

Catdank Faction:
    Well, if you ever wondered which Georgia is worse, the state or the country, here's your answer. :maybe