1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Can alchemy really be done?

Discussion in 'Fullmetal Alchemist' started by darkkakashi14, Mar 2, 2005.

1. darkkakashi14

Im not sure if this sounds dumb to anyone but who thinks alchemy can be done? How many of you think that? :confused

Tags:
  2. Blue Supporting Staff Retired Staff

In that you mean Alchemy as a equilivant to magic, of course not.

But go ahead and call it chemestry or science, and the answer is yes.

3. Kuchiyose[NO]Jutsu

well I was reading something from I think it was Animerica and they listed the ingredients including Milk, sulfur and more (I can't remember) and you'll be set for equivalent trade. :laugh :wink

4. Rurouni

Part of me says yes (as in the alchemy done in FMA) and part of me says no (in which I turn to chemistry and etc.). I'll believe anything from anime :smile-big

5. eternalblade

In the real world Alchemy was one of the earlier forms of chemistry, and while it was largely influenced by superstition and unnatainable dreams like element reconstruction (at least, it was a few thousand years too early, or more, as that involves some serious sub-atomic manipulation), it still made some good progress in the causes of science, including the invention of gunpowder.

As far as the alchemy excercised in full metal alchemist, the simple answer is that it is not possible. While it does carefully follow rules of matter (there is a constant amount of matter in the universe [assuming the universe is not expanding], and matter cannot be created or destroyed, only changed - thus 2 pounds of something can absolutely never become 3 pounds without adding matter), it does not follow the rules of energy. Energy has the same limits as matter, by energy I mean all motion, heat and and similar things "the power to do work." There is a limited, set amount of energy in the universe (barring nuclear fission effects), energy cannot be created or destroyed, same as matter, only changed. For example, we take energy from food and use it to apply kinetic energy (force) to our surroundings to move. The kinetic energy passes into the ground, doors, whatever we touch, and so on and so forth. I'm not talking magic or auras, just the physical force behind even the lightest touch. So how does this apply to alchemy in full metal alchemist? Alchemy (if it were possible in that style) would require immense energy. Often the alchemical processes that are used in that series shift items at a sub-atomic level, something that or best scientists have extremely limited ability to mimic. There is no source of energy accounted for in FMA, or any meantion of balance in energy.

In my personal oppinion, I think science might eventually be able to mimic some of the things done in FMA, like turning coal into gold. However, I think that it will always take place in a lab with expensive technical equipment, it will always take immense energy and a great deal of time. People will never control it with mere knowledge and no equipment, and a circle drawn on the ground will never make a difference one way or another.

6. crabman

I think the highest natural number of electrons is like eight, and scientists somehow got it all the way up to like 10 or 11. Technically that is alchemy since you are changing matter. So ya, i guess alchemy is kinda possible.

7. HinataFanBoy

well it used to be considered a science didnt it?

8. eternalblade

ouch, not exactly. There can be a lot more than eight electrons, they just run in limited numbers in rings. I believe the number increases as you get to further orbits, but is low closer to the nucleus. However, the artificial elements do indeed exist, and are created in a somewhat similar manner to FMA the series making them "alchemy" by FMA standards.

But don't be mislead, real alchemy is dead. There are no more advances in alchemy because we now use chemistry.

9. darkkakashi14

:smile-big

11. Masaki

Alchemy's main focus was to turn ordinary metals into gold. Sometime in the late 1900s, I believe, some college students used some energy, I forget which, and actually turned a small portion of the mercury they had into gold. It's possible, but the amount it took to get the materials was far higher than the worth of gold itself. Thus, no equivalent exhange.

12. Takeru!

The principle of Alchemy may eventually be possible, since essentially it's trying to change one form of material into another. The simplest idea is being able to create a controlled form of radiation, as well as a reverse form of it. But just cause it's possible to think about how to do it, its not something that can just be done.

13. Hakuzo

can alchemy be done? i'm not sure, but when i sit down and learn from the net i'll be the first to try. (but i'm so slow, so i might not get around to it :)::

14. Lucero del Alba

'BillyWitchDoctor.com have One convenient locations...in Africa'

'That crazy hat for chicken...'

'Arise chicken...chiken, arise'

'Yes....Ultra Mega Chicken...no, shhhh...he is legend'

[BillyWitchDoctor.com (Aqua Teen Hunger Force)]
    ---
    So you you see, alchemy is possible. Through this very alchemy *cough* African voodoo *cough*, Ultra Mega Chicken was returned to life, where he immediately smashed Carl under his Ultra Mega...foot.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  15. Hagane no Renkinjutsushi

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  16. Hakuzo

u sure u tried w/ all ur might? i think that sometimes u have to be gifted w/ the talent to preform Alchemy. would that be wrong?

17. TenshiOni

Of course ALchemy from FMA is real......if u have the Philosopher's Stone like me.... :shifty

18. konohasno1

Alchemy can't be done, though I wish it was so. Alchemy is a cartoon, it can't be done.

19. Muramasa007

of course not its fiction...but the equivalent exchange thing is true.

20. the original fusan

my minds tellin no, but my body, my body tellin me yeah nah but it would be nice but i dont think so

21. KUREIGU

well in medievil england you could study it as a degree

22. Arcanite

I practice alchemy all the time. On my way to work, I make a stop at McDonalds and turn my $5 into a burger, fries, and soda. Oh ok, I wasn't practicing the alchemy, it was McDonald alchemists inside.

23. Ridley

I doubt that a person can perform alchemy just by capping hands :p ...

24. triggerc

Of course not. even though in theory alchemy is just the conversion of base metal into gold (read all about it as wikipedia.com), the human body is not a medium in which the entropy of the universe can be converted into energy of sub-atomic transformation. :smile-big

25. Oujisama

The real alchemy is just a bunch of crazys doing experiments in their basement. Its sorta twisted actually.

26. Gaia

It would be cool if I could do alchemy(evil thinking)

27. moonslash1718

i think alchemy could happen if u knew how to do it

28. Meijin

29. moonslash1718

actually im going to have to disagree with Devilish_Angel and Zeh because even though in the manga they make all magical and stuff thats bs but u could do it if u really trird hard and it wouldn't be of equal value it would be way harder.

30. faults

Actually, making crystal meth (or some kind of drug) is a form of alchemy. I read it somewhere before at school, but I can't remember from what :/.

It would be so awesome to do alchemy though, I'd be making a lot of swords and shit and just transmuting random stuff.