1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Boruto be considered a black hole stu?

Discussion in 'New Leaf' started by Kannon, Dec 8, 2018.

Can Boruto be considered a black hole stu?

1. Yes, and his character is not worth it

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Yes, but his character is worth it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

25 vote(s)
    59.5%
  1. Kannon Member

I think Boruto can be considered a black hole stu because his existence is like a black hole who sucks in other characters' relevance or at least indirectly influences them negatively.

An example is Sarada. Her character was warped in the recent anime arc for the sake of Boruto's character development.

Another example is Konohamaru. He was worfed in the Ao arc because the writers wanted to establish Boruto as a capable and credible MC.

Naruto is also an example. His character is warped to establish a flaw for Boruto to develop Boruto's character. Why did Naruto suddenly turn into a so-called bad father and a workaholic who has no time to care for his family when he has shadow clones and knows the pain of not having a family?

I think Boruto with Jogan managing to dodge or hit Momoshiki can possibly be an example too tbh.

There seem to be too many instances where this is happening for it to be a coincidence imo. Is Boruto's character really worth the warping of other characters' personality and loss of relevance?

Edit: Being a black hole sue or stu is different from being a Mary Sue or a Gary Stu. Don't get it mixed up with a character who has no flaws or accomplishes everything too easily. From what I have seen, he seems to fit the black hole sue definition very well, or at least the characteristic of other characters not acting naturally around him but instead being plot enablers for him.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Tags:
    • Agree x 4
    • Optimistic x 4
    • Dislike x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Altiora Night Necromancer Lord (Ω)

To Kawaki at least, he’s an ASShole Stu. That, I can say for sure.

3. indrasarrow Blood Circulator

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi Yaaaaay

5. Ruthless Tsuchikage Active Member

But as Boruto established Naruto sending shadow clones rather than going himself is extremely disrespectful. And not having a family might be part of why Naruto isn't good at it since he doesn't recall any family time himself.

But while he's not good at it I wouldn't call Naruto a bad father. He really does try.

But the question is a definitive no because Boruto isn't a ''Stu'' to begin with. Mary Sue's and their male counterparts don't get movies detailing how flawed they are.

6. Kannon Member

It's a variant of black hole sue, which exists on tvtropes at least lol. From what I have seen, Boruto seems to fit the definition pretty well.

Boruto isn't a Mary Sue or a Gary Stu though. Well, not yet anyway. Being a Mary Sue or a Gary Stu is different from being a black hole sue or a black hole stu though. I think people tend to get confused about that and mix them up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi Yaaaaay

Anyway I do see that most of Naruto's character has pretty centered around him being strict with Boruto but in all honesty he is an adult now so it makes sense for him to have changed as a parent

8. Zensuki Sasuke > your fav

Yes and its ruined the Boruto series as a result.

Every Naruto fan saw it coming, except there's no saving this series unlike the graph above.

• Funny x 5
    • Winner x 4
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Karyu Endan Smilies = Not serious

Not exactly. There is a documented trope called the "black hole sue" as described here:

TL;DR a Black Hole Sue or Stu is what happens when the protagonist attracts an unreasonable amount of attention from the rest of the cast, to the point of acting like the centre of a black hole. It's more noticeable in fanfiction where the cast has pre-established personality traits and motives that can get contradicted for the sake of an OC story, but original fiction cases do exist. Bella Swan from Twilight is a notorious example, where just about everyone is focused on her one way or another for next to no reason, even though she's just an ordinary high school student with a literature hobby that doesn't factor into the story in any meaningful way.

Of course, just because a character attracts boatloads of attention doesn't mean the work is necessarily bad. Any story, after all, is going to put most of its focus on its main character. It also doesn't mean that the character in particular will qualify for any other "Sue" label. It's entirely possible to write a character with both virtues and flaws, who isn't overpowered nor succeeds too easily, and who doesn't make any character instantly fall in love with them and become their romantic partner... but is nonetheless the centre of the universe for every character they come across. Any story about a celebrity will have this, since they wouldn't be a celebrity if they didn't receive disproportionate amounts of attention and interest.

Does Boruto qualify though? I'm split on it, both in the manga and the anime. On the one hand, I think that Naruto's issues as a parent are understandable and stem from a character flaw he's always had. On the other hand... there shouldn't be a single villain out there that present Boruto can defeat on his own that Konohamaru can't, and Ao happened. On the one hand, Mitsuki recognizes his own feelings for Boruto might be artificial and left Konoha to figure out how genuine they are, which shows that the gravitation has a purpose behind it beyond riding Boruto's dick. On the other hand... Ryuchi Cave's trials were absurdly easy, ridiculed Orochimaru's and Kabuto's struggles there in retrospect, and seemed designed for the sole purpose of handing Boruto a snake summon. You could make a case on way or the other, and I don't which side to conclude on myself.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  10. Indra I can't stop eating

The only black mary hole sue here is your account.

While I agree with what you are saying more or less, there are some key points I think are important here.

Boruto didn't defeat just defeat Ao. He was weakened from the chakra saber absorbing his power, so he wasn't at full strength Besides that, Ao mentioned to Katasuke before he targeted Team 7. That he wasn't at peak condition when it came to Taijutsu, due to the fact that he lost his body during the War.

I think necessarily we have to contribute a large fact of the win, due to it being mostly in favor to sacrifice. Because considering Konohamaru sacrificed himself multiple times, to the point where if he did not, Boruto would of been knocked out (or worse). The fight could of went in any direction.

The last bit ... is that well Ao never used ninjutsu until Kashin Koji appeared. We know his reason for not using it was because he felt evolved from what a shinobi is, but it was literally just a nerf so that he would not mop the floor with them :lmao

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Sassky Tsukuyoming your life

Couldn't be more accurate and explanatory of what milking is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Wrecked Baloney Ho ho ho!

The people calling Boruto a Black Hole Stu are, shocker, those who don't pay attention to the anime or manga.
    :raiden

• List
  13. Hyuga Prodigy Well-Known Member

Meeting the White Snake Sage was relatively easy but I dont think this was the trial that both Orochimaru and Kabuto were struggling in. It would make no sense in that context as to why Orochimaru failed to attain Dragon Sage Mode.
    I think the SERIOUS trials in Naruto that they have to undergo through is to be trained under the White Snake sage.

We literally saw how difficult for Naruto to acquire sage mode when he gets beaten around by the Bush so this same apply to the Ryuchi Cave except it's probably alot more dire and stricter with less assistance which explains why Orochimaru couldn't perform it.

14. Sassky Tsukuyoming your life

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Wrecked Baloney Ho ho ho!

No they don't. Or else they would see that Boruto didn't take down Shojojojoj and Ao on his own, Boruto losing to Shikadai twice, and that everyone he cares about scolds him at some point for being a brat, and narrative agrees. Hell, future!Boruto agreed he was bratty.

@Karyu Endan Future!Boruto is telling his story, so he is getting a lot of attention to himself. Come on man, I thought you were better than this.

• List
  16. Kannon Member

Boruto's warping of other characters has become a lot more noticeable recently though. Konohamaru seems to have become a plot enabler for Boruto, which fits the black hole sue or stu definition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. Raniero 『 』

More like, "Boruto is a black hole sue because he's taking focus away from my favorite character(s) (Even though he's the main character). By the way, don't I look extremely entitled right now?"

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  18. Rai Santa Rai

19. Sassky Tsukuyoming your life

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Coolest Guy! Coolest Guy! x 1
    • List
  20. root eltiT resU motsuC

Poll needs an option for "eh, who cares".

Boruto is pretty much the centre of the universe in the series names after him yeah. More so than Naruto was. Sometimes that comes at the cost of the other characters, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't like putting things in boxes and labelling every trope used though, it limits your perception/expectations of where a story can go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. root eltiT resU motsuC

and tends to only be used to point out things people don't like.

Edit function on mobile pls :catcry

22. Corvida Anda de dia la noche es mia

Spain
    And that's the problem.
    More so and worse-much sooner- than Naruto was.
    (And war arc Naruto´s universal wank was unbearable).
    The desperate and too unsubtle "it´s my stoooory , MY story, MINE, forget the silly old man I must fagocitate and replacel" from chapter one tells all.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • List
  23. Sassky Tsukuyoming your life

Its his story but then they need the old gen to have a plot and catter to the followers of the prequel. Boruto is bad, just that.. Kawaki should be the MC and Boruto the villain at this point.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  24. Action Hero Biribiri

Trinidad and Tobago
    Almost 2019 and ninjas still pressed Boruto is the main character in a series where its stated that his story in chapter 1. First few panels too boot.

The same people with the same tired arguments in an endless loop. The same people who barely follow the anime/manga or if they even follow it all. Dont why yall waste your time :catnoworries

• Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  25. Hussain Well-Known Member

Even tho Kawaki is the center of focus as of right now. They ain't satisfied unless it's Salad or her parents.
    Any other character does not count. :mjlol

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Kage Kage x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  26. Corvida Anda de dia la noche es mia

Spain
    and don't forget-stated and repeated by himself, just in case we didn't notice

On the contrary

Biggest thing right now would be Salad and her parents. specially her father, never coming close to Broccoli again

Never,
    ever
    again
    Saving one from typical mentor fate and the daughter from dog breeding, even if that implicated no more panel time for either of them

A blessing, considering the spin off

Kawaki and his simply blasting all, the sooner the better

amen

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  27. Sage light Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  28. Indra I can't stop eating

It just makes the posts seem quite silly when you put it that way honestly.

I would go as far as to say be in denial too. Like the narrative of Boruto, is about Boruto. It's him telling the story or remembering it as a flash back? I can't tell which one.

But I don't think the narrative suggests anyone needs him for anything at the current moment. Kara's main goal right now is Kawaki...

Though honestly I feel a sense of hypocrisy sometimes considering how far Sasuke changed the momentum countless times.

If anyone actually read Naruto, Sasuke too, gathered a large amount of respect and the plot shifted to his narrative too many times.

EX - Sasuke having many females attracted to his 'face', Sasuke having many people interested in him, Sasuke having all the main characters trying to save him, etc.

These don't necessarily mean Sasuke a black hole stu, lmfao. However people are somehow acting as if Naruto's universe shifting the focus on select few characters is somehow a new perspective, when the series piggybacked on it countless times.

There are so many neglected characters in the main universe. Now that's not to bite Kishimoto and say he's a terrible author because there are some neglected characters, but I'm just saying that a big reason for that is his focus on Naruto and Sasuke entirely.

Not to mention his intense love for the Uchiha Clan, which took up a lot of story in the sequel.

Till this day you can ask any Sasuke or Uchiha fan (day say any reader) and ask them if you take away 'Sasuke' or the Uchiha Clan. What is this story left with?

9 times outta 10 they'll tell Naruto is nothing without it.

And then the same people sit here and complain when the plot doesn't focus on what they want.

Irony or hypocrisy? I dunno.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • List
  29. Raniero 『 』

Boruto isn't the first series where the grand majority of the story only takes place from the main character's point of view and how he reacts to the world and how it to him. The problem is that certain people expected a similar narrative to how Naruto's story was written, particularly equal focus between Boruto and the Uchiha family Sarada like with Naruto and Sasuke (even though the latter outright hijacked the main character's story from him at times, to the point where Naruto's main goal established at the start of the series was ultimately secondary/background to any goal related to Sasuke). That's not a problem with Boruto's character though. That's their problem for assuming things would go the way they wanted to, when nothing was ever promised to them :kanyeshrug

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Kage Kage x 1
    • List
  30. Corvida Anda de dia la noche es mia

Spain
    And don't you realize placing ALL the focus on Naruto and Sasuke only was damaging to ...everything and everyone else, starting to the very Sasuke you complain so much, converted in La Parrala to accommodate him to Messiah last TNJ? and that the spin off manga is making the exact mistake-if not worse, it all depends in the development of Kawaki as antagonist is big enough and the manga is allowed to leave Boletus´s hole?

It is
    Having a badly patched MC and said MC being the only centre of the universe is not the same as having created expectatives-if there was any, abomigaiden took good care to destroy them- even before Bostillo was made the Child of Destiny redux and his movie retold twice