1. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Breakfast!
    Deadline for entries: February 10th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Art Lounge Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We consider ideas for a brand name. You can probably come up with a good one. Click. Within cells, interlinked.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Come enter in Flash Fiction -- Photo!
    Deadline for entries: January 29th by 11:59pm EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Can you imagine what it would be like if...

Discussion in 'Featured Anime of November 07' started by BakaOnna, Nov 14, 2007.

1. BakaOnna

Higurashi aired on American TV, like Adult Swim or something? Sure, it'll never happen, but I'd love to see the reaction. :laugh

Tags:
  2. Amatsu

I don't see why it couldn't especially since they want to air stuff like Death Note and Paranoia Agent.

3. MarthX7

Adult Swim's demographic only likes action anime. They don't have the attention span necessary to enjoy Higurashi.

4. Clouds-Are-Nice

I wonder what the commercials would be like. The voiceover guy sounded like Optimus Prime last I heard. :amuse

5. Monna

True.

I'm wondering how many "casual viewers" will give a shit about Death Note. Ofcourse, it'll be a hit with all the wanna-be emo and goth kids in various High Schools. That would probably be the same demograph that Higurashi would appeal to.

Death Note = an angtsy teens dream. Have a note book that can kill off anyone you like.

Higurashi = Gore and murder. An angtsy high schooler would love the fact that Keiichi or Rena used murder to solve thier problems by killing off adults that bother them.

These types wouldn't give a shit about plot but would most likely be the show's only viewers.

6. Amatsu

Indeed. They probably even have their own death notes.

7. QBnoYouko

It's true. The majority cares only for shounen titles (more specifically, the ones in WSJ) and the airing of Higurashi would only create controversial issues... maybe. I agree with Marth, the demographic has a very low attention span for this kind of thing.

Geneon would be doing the wrong thing.

8. dspr8_rugged

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Casey and Friends here. I guess the discussion's rather serious.

I think it's unlikely. Considering how many times this anime has been labeled a disturbing, gory and violent anime, I can't see this going to US TV.

Heck, this won't probably air on our local TV networks. Just like the US anime audience, the anime audience in my country also favor shounen titles (heck, every known shounen anime to date has been replayed on local TV for n times for crying out loud). Having one of the local TV networks show Higurashi is going to create a lot of waves, and for all I know, the showing of this series could probably be the end of anime airing on local TV.

Just imagine, a documentory was shown in local TV a year ago about anime being "unsafe for kids" (see how much emphasis I placed there?). Guess what, they were showing hentai (in blur, of course) clips to prove their point. Of course, the anime enthusiasts here have reacted otherwise. I can't deny I participated in that. :p

Anyway, I'm not comparing my country to the US. My point is, it's not really a good idea.

9. BakaOnna

Or if some bizarre murder takes place... let's say... a 16-year-old girl murders her father using an axe because of family problems, some idiot will realize the similarity between the murder and this series and place the blame on the series. Then the media finds out and it gets reported on the news. Oh wait... why does this sound so familiar, I wonder, I wonder... :notrust

Either way, when I started this topic it was more as a humorous 'what if' question. Still, if this series were to air on American tv, I'm sure the results would be exactly like you guys described.

10. mfair4d

I imagine it would be about like all other anime released in english: something i either don't watch, or watch about 40 seconds of, and think its terrible.

11. Rocket Bear

The fact that this will never air here really gives me the urge to move to Japan.

I really want to see how TV is over there. They probably have at least 10 networks dedicated to anime huh? And they aren't afraid to air a show like this (late night of course? but meh)

That sounds like a paradise to me.

I enjoy my dub every once in a while but all the incredible anime we miss out on here is really depressing. I know we can download it but I'd sure enjoy just sitting on my couch with a blanket, turning on the TV, and watching an episode of this xD

12. MarthX7

Geneon can't even finish the series because they're pretty much dead. Episodes 15-26 are in limbo. 1-14 can be bought on DVD.

13. Rocket Bear

Wow I didn't realized they'd been released cus I was looking under Higurashi no naku koro ni instead of When they cry:facepalm Anyone have them to see if the dubbing's anything but terrible?

Looks like the 4th volume's coming out in December.

14. MarthX7

[cLT]​_When​_They​_Cry​_DVD1[01-05][DVDRip​_Dual​_Audio]

[cLT]​_When​_They​_Cry​_DVD2[06-10][DVDRip​_Dual​_Audio]

[cLT]​_When​_They​_Cry​_DVD3[10-14][DVDRip​_Dual​_Audio]

Volume 4 won't come out because Geneon has no way to distribute it.

15. Rocket Bear

Thanks for the torrents. Do you know what Geneon's problem is? Was there some article you can link to?

16. MarthX7

So basically they are going down the drain and we are screwed for who knows how long...?

I'm not sure how this all works but is it basically that they stop distribution to retailers on September 28, and from that point forward the retailers sell until they run out? I wonder, because I bought a dvd that was released October 1st but that was after they supposedly stopped distribution...

And is there any way some other company can license Higurashi now?

18. MarthX7

There's a strong rumor that Funimation is interested in buying some of Geneon's titles. When They Cry might be picked up.

19. Monna

No! Not Funimation. ADV would be best. Anything but Funimation or Viz.

I wonder how long I'll be waiting for my Higurashi season one boxset.

20. QBnoYouko

Hmm, what do you not see in Funi? I think they would know how to handle distribution of their titles. Viz is definitely a no since they have more priority on their Jump.

21. Amatsu

Honestly if Higurashi played on adult swim it would just make the emos and goths hang out at hot topic more and plan out ways to kill people they don't like.

22. Kira Yamato Retired Staff

I doubt we'd ever see this title on a network like Adult Swim. Although I will say that Death Note seems to be doing fairly well in it's time slot, and I managed to convert a few fans by forcing them to watch an episode or two so they'd get exposure xDD

I think for fans of this series to get hooked, they'd need 4 episodes to even have a chance at conversion and with AS airing one episode per week, I have a feeling they'd lose potential fans by having the first chapter stretched out over a month time :apathy

PS: I was so rooting for Kira >_<

and no, I'm the farthest thing from emo, I just like his brand of justice xD

23. Vegitto-kun

24. Amatsu

and then those people celebrate through wrist cutting sessions.

25. Vegitto-kun

I mean he is the voice of the people

26. Amatsu

Because those people who love Kira are the kind of people who wish they could do what Kira's doing to the people they hate.

27. Vegitto-kun

which I would

and then I woudl clean out the world

28. Monna

Wrist cutting and self-mutilation is actualy a serious thing that can happen to people who are extremely depressed.

Emo's however, most of them use it as means to be "hardcore" cause they think its cool because most of them haven't gone through near ebought pain to seriously damage themselfs like true manic depressives.

Goths also tend to be angry at the world for no good reason and are attracted to anime because they believe its a hardcore adult cartoon (most of what they watch is shonen though lol). Honestly, I dress kind of goth (the black trip shorts) but thats just because I like the way it looks. I'm not much of a social hazard though.

29. Minorin

People who watch anime on American (ew) channels are mostly non-otaku. We watch anime because (I hope) we appreciate the culture and the different medium of media (ew, wordy). Of course no one's going to like anime like Death Note. They'll probably be sued by some lawyer over content anyway.

30. Amatsu

I doubt I'm emo or goth. Heck I wouldn't even know how to classify myself. I don't really fit into any of the mediums in todays social hierarchy.