1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian music

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Catatonik, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

An explosion of talent and skill from the Great White North.

I figured, it's about time to do a thread highlighting Canadian music. Not just metal (though, that's what I know best) but everything I know of. See, of late, Canada has been the home of many truly astounding bands and projects, and I thought, why not share them with all of you?

Also, if you know any Canadian bands worth noting, by all means, give us a write up in here :)

Corb Lund: God knows I wrote a huge enough rant about Lund (as did moe) but it's needs to be re-stated, former bass player and primary co-songwriter for Canadian legends The Smalls, Corbs solo career is four albums in, and after his latest release (Hair in My Eyes Like a Highland Steer) is well on his way to becoming another name like Johnny Cash or Bob Dylan (who is an ardent admirer of Corb). From his first demo/abum Modern Pain (now re-issued with 6 bonus tracks, including a live cover of the Hockey song, and a cover of the Smalls Waste and Tragedy), through Unforgiving Mistress (his most 'country' album) Five Dollar Bill (a brilliant and rocking release) to the most recent, Corbs sales and publicity have been growing steadily. For anyone with an open mind, this is country done right.

Devin Townsend: Chances are, if you are reading this, you are already aware of my fan-boyism. From his earliest days singing vocals for guitar legend Steve Vai, through five solo albums crossing the spectrum of metal. Sex and Religion was one of Vais less powerful album, but did an amazing job of highlighting Devins astounding vocal range, which was followed up by Ocean Machines, a pseudo-concept album about the music of the Oceans, powerful and melodic. After that came Infinity, a spastic trip down the road of a nervous breakdown. The follow up to Infinity was Physicist, often described as SYL-lite, but still a truly powerful album if taken as is. Then came Terria, a powerful, melancholy and amazing Pink Floyd inspired prog-metal album that is an emotional whirlwind. Accelerated Evolution was number five, and is veiwed as Devys most accessible, with tracks that could have gotten radio play without losing any of his edges or intricate musicianship. Also of note, was Devins gag band, Punky Brewster, a single concept album about how the (fictional) Death Metal band, Cryptic Coroner became the pop-punk phenomenon, Punky Brewster. Warped, funny, twisted, and extremely well-crafted pop-punk.

Loreena McKennitt: One of Canadas musical treasures, McKennitt is neo-classical Celtic composer with an astounding voice and amazing compositional abilities. Mixing elements like choiral choruses, neo-classical music, gothic highlights and traditional folk songs, Loreena has crafted many a powerful and beautiful (if dark at times) album that should be in the hands of anyone who likes follk musics. With eight albums (one of which is live, and another which is a holiday album) Loreena has a heavy backlog to get to know, but it is well worth the effort. Her first album Elemental was recorded in one week in '85, and shows it, each subsequent album (To Drive the Cold Winter Away, Paralell Dreams, The Visit, The Mask and the Mirror, Winter Gardens, The Book of Secrets) displayed a growing and burdgeoning grasp of production, and composition. By the time her Live in Paris album had been released, Loreena was being watched fro around the world and her up-coming album (as yet untitled) will certainly be of interest to anyone with a taste for folk, classical or just female vocals. I also highly recommend her DVD No Journeys End...

Ashley MacIsaac: Some of (many of you I suspect) have atleast heard the name. Ashley MacIsaac is a fiddle genius, he really is. Sure, he's a drug abusing, borderline alchoholic egocentric bastard with a sharp tongue and atemper, but musically the man hits the fiddle like a falling space station. From his earliest work Close to the Floor a tribute to traditional fiddle and east coast musics Ashley got his start for his hyper fast, and amazing talent. The next album, Hi How Are You Today? raised many eyebrows as he mixed in elements of punk, garage rock, country and traditional musics to craft a chaotic and neurotic album, that many people found hard to digest, this was exacerbated by the single (Sleepy Maggie) which gave one entirely the wrong impression about the direction the album had taken. Following it up with Fin Thank You Very Much, he eased back on the wierdness, but kept a strong sense of the expiremental, and it had a more cohesive feel than the previous album. After that came Fiddle Music 101, where he returned to his traditional roots and strove to incorporate outisde influences without losing the sense of history that the fiddle bears. Recently has come Pride, a powerful and eccentric blend of styles, even incorporating elements of metal that expresses the attitudes of said musician. As always, he pushes the boundaries of what people think can be done with a fiddle. I can say this, if a canadian metal band ever wanted to blend in the traditional sounds of a fiddle, they couldn't do much better than listening to this album multiple times.

Voivod: It's hard to describe Voivods music. They are legends in the Thrash world....no, they are legends in the metal world. Back in '84, an unknown Quebec Thrash band released an album that would garner instant attention, War and Pain was Voivods first release, and it was thrash, traditional and almost straight forward Metallica-esque thrash that was no nonesense headbanging power. Followed up by Rrroooaaarrr, a Slayer-esque thrash fest that is considered by some to be a step back after their debut, but is also very heavy. Their third album, Killing Technology displays elements of what they would eventually become, a mix of thrash and strange (if scattered) outside influences that earned them many an interested listen. Dimension Hatross is where the band steps forth and earns the name expiremental. Lyrical content becomes deeper and more thought provoking, guitarist Piggy displays an unexpected talent for intricate and powerful work, and Snake opens up with his highly unique and intense clean singing, leaving the shrieking behind with the more sophomoric lyrics of previous albums. The band really steps up and defies conventions here, and this is where it really begins. Nothingface, considered the finest of the Snake era albums really is the ONE. Jazz and prog are layered thickly throughout over thrash and Snakes unique and emotional vocals, the band breaks all preconcieved notions and even garnered much recognition for their psychotically trippy cover of Pink Floyds Astronomy Domine. The follow up Angel Rat is paradoxically both their most accessible, and most mature album, with so much going on under the surface, that repeated listens continuously reveal something new...even now, over a decade later it still continues to impress. Next up was the Outter Limits, an album of intensely proggy and psychedelic metal/rock that is truly and startlingly abstract yet pointed. Negatron was where Eric Forrest took over for Snake on vocals, and it was a major step backwards, almost straight forward traditional metal with death-esque growls. WHile not a bad release, Negatron is a major disappointment from a band that helped redefine metal and music for so many years. Phobos continues in the same vein of the previous album Negatron, and continues to fail to be anything more than decent (except in the European release which includes a Newsted track and a King Diamond cover, both of which stick out like gold amongst lead). In 2003 Snake returned to the fold, and long time Metallica bassist Jason Newsted (now calling himself Jasonic) joined the band. Such a dramatic change in direction they felt could only be represented by a self-titled relase, and Voivod is a powerful, intense, neurotic mix of thrash, prog, psychedelia and even some industrial that easily (and contemptuously) blows Metalicas pathetic Saint Anger out of the water without even trying. Recently, Piggy died, an event that sent shockwaves through the industry, but not before he finished recording his parts of the new album. The band has since continued to finish the album as in Snakes words: "Piggy lived for this, if we quit now, it would be betraying everything he stood for." It promises to be something powerful...

Days of the New: From the initial release, the Yellow album, Days of the New were regarded as yet another Alice in Chains style wanna be band. Yet, closer inspection of the album reveals a more down home, country style album that sings with emotions and talent. Yet, it wasn't until their second album, the Green album that they displayed a truly personalized sound, with a mix of Alice in Chains, metal, country and a spattering of prog rock that had a multitude of depths worth plumbing. Travis Meeks voice is eerily like Layne Staley at times, yet mostly has a unique and emotion thick sound of it's own, which is excellently accompanied by a mix of acoustic and electric guitars and bass. The third album, the Red album, is perhaps the band most diverse, ranging across the spectrum of influences on previous albums, but highlighting each influence in it's own way and pushing Travis' voice to new reaches (and sadly a few new lows). It's been 4 years since the Red album, and the long awaited follow up, the Purple album is still hanging in the air with little to no word wether or not the bands difficulties with their label are going to be resolved...

The Smalls: Yeah, we all know how much I love these guys. Disbanded or not. From their full length debut, To Each a Zone the Smalls stepped up and broke many genres in their attempts tp create an identity in the muddled and chaotic morass called the Alberta music scene. Swiftly re-releasing their demo with four new tracks (including a cover of the Pretenders - Middle of the Road) The Smalls went on tour, and continued to stay one of Canadas hardest touring bands for over a decade. In '95, they released the brilliant and expiremental Waste and tragedy (this is where Corb began to dominate the song-writing) and followed it up four years later with teir final album, the Faith No More influenced, My Dear Little Angle. Four albums, all of which challenge the very idea of genres, and showcase four of Canadas most uniquely talented musicians.

Strapping Young Lad: Back in '95, Devin Townsend released his first Strapping Young Lad album, the rather amusingly titled Heavy as a really Heavy Thing. It's heavy industrial infused death/thrash with a vicious sense of humour and a severe inability to take itself seriously, as evinced by the 'bonus' track, Satans Icecream truck, a demented circus music sounding metal joke that's hard to ignore. Two years later he releases City. City is one of those albums that EVERY single metal fan should own. It's nigh on perfect, all the elements that made HaaRT good are better on this album, it's heavy as all shit, and alternatively mellow and creepy, the vocals are insane in their range and versatility, the guitars are perfect, the bass is godlike and the drums are courtesy of metals drumming legend, Gene 'the Machine' Hoglan. Not only that, the albums production is brilliant, sharp and intense with a wall of sound so perfectly done that you can make out each individual sound. Probably one of the genres seminal albums, City is a must have. Six years later, they come out with the pounding self-titled release, an album crafted to be live anthems. And say what you will about it, I believe that SYL is a brilliant album in that respect, as once you've heard those songs live there is no doubting their brilliance, hell inside the booklet, certain parts of each songs lyrics are italicized, and it says in the beginning, 'the italicized bits are your bits, when we see you live, we expect you to know your parts'. I mean, that is pure brilliance (and pure SYL). This year SYL released the brilliant and disturbed Alien, an album of estrangement and the feelings of an outsider. It's raging, cold, melancholy and demented, with some of the best goddamn musicianship the band have crafted. Not quite City in its impact, it none the less is an extremely deep and mulit-layered album that should be checked out by everyone.

Well my hands are starting to hurt, so I will do a series of follow ups over the next week or so..but for now, it is time for me to rest.

Tags:
  2. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

Great post. It really put me in the mood for everyone of the artists mentioned.

3. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

You don't have any Days of the New do you?

4. Voynich MADDER RED

You mind if I read this tomoz? @.@ My after 11 mode doesn't back up this kind of reading.

5. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

>.>

heh

6. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

Nope, but you just sent me a song. I dont have The two other artist's either

7. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

I'll try to arrange for you to be introduced to Loreena and Ashley, infact, I'll see if I can arrange for everyone to hear them

8. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

12. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Fuck, I'm not even going to post here or total fanboism might ensue.

13. o0oEnderIlleso0o The Lungs of the Ocean

Cursed. Absolutely amazing hardcore/metal. And the government PAID for their album to be recorded and footed the bill for their entire tour. I love Canada.

14. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Yay, I don't really know Kataklysm that well, or the Cursed (though I keep hearing about them) but the others are coming ;)

And many, many more.

15. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Buck 65: Tom Waits meets hip-hop, with a dash of Johnny Cash thrown in. Four albums in, Buck 65 is one of Torontos more unusual act, mixing country and folk music, with a Tom Waits-esque approach to hip-hop, yet still willing to use turntables and the standbys of Hip-hop. His music goes back to 1992, and through a multitude of singles, demos and compilations has fought and clawed his way into the publics eyes, finally earning a mainstage at a multitude of folk-fests and the right to open for the Bare Naked Ladies across Canada. I'd write up on each of his albums, but I don't know them all (hard to track down) so I'll focus on the three I do know. Square is the first one I discovered, four tracks, all racking in around fifteen minutes. Rambling and gruff, the album is very strong and easy to stay hooked on with a gruff sense of humour and honesty as well as charmingly folksy. Talking Honky Blues includes his hit single Wicked and Weird and is a brilliant album that channels the essence of Tom Waits, with a dry look at Bucks life growing up, imbued with a look at the world around him now. Secret House Against the World is his most recent album, and is his strongest, including an amazingly tight flow, sharp thoughtful lyrics, excellent beats and a strong flavour of the countryside mixed with a twist of urban gandeur and humour.

Internal Affairs: Hip-hop from the unlikely locale of Calgary Canada, Internal Affairs are extremely socially conscious and talented, blending the usual aspects of hip-hop, and adding a sense of hope as well. Given to questioning the world around them Homage and Concept drive the groups music with a dedication to morals and self-respect, and never fail to question stereotypes, or mock thoughtless lifestyles. The addition of Femme Shui (who by the way I might add, is no only beautiful, but quite charming in person) only adds a depth to the group as her voice is a remarkable instrument by itself. Currently only two albums have been released, but the third one is enroute. Their first release, the strong and intelligent Lost Scriptures is full og thought provoking, witty and deep tracks that question not only the society around them, but the culture of hip-hop itself and the route it takes. The follow up album, Sweet Home Babylon is much the same but more philisophical and spiritual and is highly recommended to anyone who likes their hip-hop intelligent and powerful.

Front Line Assembly: It would be hard for me to talk about Canadian music without talking about the duo of Rhys Fulber and Bill Leeb. Between them the founding members of what is one of the earlier (and most influential) Industrial projects out there. Back to '86 for the earliest release, the discography is so immense and full of full lengths, eps, re-mixes, cross-overs and so on I won't even try. I will stick to the details that matter. Front Line Assembly have worked with pretty much EVERYBODY that matters in the canadian metal scene, including Devin Townsend, Kevin Cey, OhGr, and so on. Only Ministry, Nine Inch Nails and The Killing Joke even come close to the spread and influence of FLA and each of those bands has collaborated with each other at one point or another. If anyone is seeking to discover Front Line Assembly's discography, I recommend two albums: Mindphaser and Millenium, each is a different style of Industrial (and Millenium includes the god-like guitars of Devin Townsend) while still showing the band in it's best light. Take a chance and give em a tgry, there's so much under their belt pretty much everyone will find something to like.

Skinny Puppy: Front Line Assembly leads to Skinny Puppy, yet another expiremental band from Canadas west coast. Much like compatriots FLA, Skinny Puppy go back to the mid eighties, and also similarly were pushing genres from the beginning. The trio of Kevin Cey, Dwayne Goettel and frontman Ogre constantly blurred the lines between Gothic, metal and Industrial, often riding on nothing more than creepy ambience and the powerful and charismatic voice of Ogre. With nine full length studio releases and a multitude of collaborations and re-mixes, Skinny Puppy have a very versatile and eclectic collection of music for a beginner to delve into and one can be left with a bad taste from the wrong album, as some of their works are almost not even music as much as atmosphere. My personal favourite was 1996's The Process, a crunching and chaotic blend of metal, ambience, industrial and gothic, all spun around Ogres unique and oft-times creepy vocals. Another excellent recommendation is the thouhgt provoking and socially scathing, Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate. Where ever you start though, take the time to check atleast one other album first as each one has a flavour and style unto itself.

Delerium: When the boys from Front Line Assembly got bored, they decided to play around with pure electronica and came up with the project known as Delerium, the first release Faces, Forms and Figures was spacey, almost psychedelic ambience and was quite a change from the direction Front Line Assembly was taking. By the time the Spheres album had come out, it was very psychedelic and explored a lot of bizarre and spacial themes, and still remains a powerful and impressive electronic piece from two of the Industrial geniusi. Then came the brilliantly accepted Semantic Spaces which combined their previous expirements with a pop finish and powerful female vocals courtesy of Kristy Thirsk. Taking the new direction and going with it, the two crafted the world chart hitting Karma album, which included vocals from Kristy as well as Sarah McLachlan and Jaqui Hunt. Karma shot up through the Canadian charts and swiftly earned international appreciation for it's elegant blend of gothic, electronic and ambience mixed with the amazing female vocals. The follow up album Chimaera was a step into the commercial even further while still maintaining a strong sense of the gothic and elemental that made Karma such a shining success.

OhGr: Former Skinny Puppy frontman, OhGr has since gone on to release two exceedingly unique, demented and thoroughly pop-soaked releases of electronic infused madness. Combining his natural proclivities for self-mockery, social contempt and tongue in cheek humour, OhGr released Welt first. From the opening track you are struck by a sense of the weird, an almost carnival-esque electronic manic energy, and his vocals are truly ingenius. Ranging from distorted and multi-layered, to barren and forlorn with hints of glee. Track by track Welt takes you through the world as OhGr sees it. My favourite track, Cracker points a finger at all the mainstream 'badboys' and calls them leeches and worms, and then turns around and points the finger at himself as well. The follow up, Majik is equally dark and frantic, yet not as grimly cheerful, it feels more like he has slowed down enough and taken more time to injest the shit being fed him, then regurgitated it back in a vituperative and manic flow of stream of consciousness.

Evenlight: Stoner rockers with a dash of metals rage, Evenlight are nothing if not humorous and fun. Their debut release (on home made burned CD's no less) produced and guested on by Devin Townsend is a rip-roaring good ride. Good old fashioned beer and bong hard rock, the album is extremely catchy, very well written and a helluva lotta fun. Consisting of members of the Devin Townsend Band as well as other Vancouver acts, Evenlight have been through a multitude of changes but the core sense of getting high or drunk and making great fucking music has never altered. Their 2005 release Fuck Yeah! is nothing if not more of the same, yet it's neither boring nor a re-hash of previous material. Devin didn't invite these guys to play with him randomly, their musicianship is top notch, intricate, yet simple, elegant yet heavy and above all head bang worthy. One of my favourite live shows involves them and despite being basically totally unknown, they managed to whip up one helluva crowd. I say if you like good hard rock with a sense of fun and humour, immediately look these guys up. ;)

16. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

I want to hear all of those... I've only heard some including Devy, Voivod and Skinny Puppy. The rest is unknown to me...

17. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

And I'm far from done.

:D

18. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Sigh, why are you so inhumanly awesome Cata?

19. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

And obsession.

I channel my predeliction for addiction into my obsession for music and passion.

Beats sticking needles in my body or other unsavoury habits (though my tattoo addiction is still there).

20. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

Damnit, you're going to kill my HD just with this thread, you know the drill, I want it all! :smile-big

21. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Fantastic folk/americana/blues female trio. Fantastic to sya the least. I need to up chinatown durign my upcoming folk week.

Is Eva Cassidy canadian?

22. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

23. Yoshi Torchbearer

Wow, nice stuff Cata. Hopefully I'll get round to all of that one day. So much music, so little time.

24. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

I'm not sure if Evas Canadian, but I'll likely do some research.

;)

25. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Well she's born in america, but her mom is canadian. But in any case she's as awesome as everything Canada has given us. Such a sad untimely passing.

26. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

I guess I need to include William Shatner in my next group eh?

\m/ Teh Shatner.

27. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

28. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Heeyup, good ole Shatner is Canadian alright. And damn funny, and talented.

I need to see the new animated movie he's in. It looks highly demented.

29. Yoshi Torchbearer

30. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.