1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

CANT MOVE in sleep?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by narutofan__man, Jul 24, 2005.

1. narutofan__man Member

has anyone ever felt a weird pressure on their body while asleep and cant move for a few seconds because of it, it happens to members of ma family as well as friends, ive heard it happens to everyone, im just curious to see if thats true:blink

Tags:
  2. skunkworks Member

Weird pressure? Like on your entire body?

Or is it like a charlie horse?

3. Shunsui Think. Supporting Staff

Oh god I hate that. My heartrate skyrockets because I'm claustrophobic >_<

4. 012345789 Numbers

How could you feel pressure when you're asleep?

5. TheMexicanKingVII Shadow Supervisor

Well because I suffer from really bad nightmares, I sometimes fall into sleep but then I feel like I'm being swallowed and for some reason I can't move my body or find a way out of it.

Is this what you speak of.

6. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Sleep paralysis. It's common. Basically it's just some bad communication between brain and body. The body is paralyzed during sleep, so that you don't injure yourself; sleep paralysis represents a point where consciousness is regained before sleeping paralysis subsides.

If I'm not mistaken, sleep paralysis could be associated with sleep apnea, which is trouble. You might want to go to a doctor, although most likely it's 100% nothing to worry about.

Link removed

Also, here's an article about the phenomenon called "night hags"--the evil force holding down your chest--thought to be the origin of many UFO abduction claims:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  7. Aldredian_Sahn On the Road of Truth again

That has never happened to me, I don't think, but I have woken up with an arm next to my head that I couldn't tell was mine because it was asleep. I really freaked out one time and then I realized that I couldn't get up.

8. narutofan__man Member

ah thanks for that nybarius, thats wat it must be then, you sometimes feel like your awake when in fact your not, i definatley woudnt link it to alien activity, but i have to say, that womens account in the link sounds pretty scary.:S

9. MadBanana- New Member

no i have never felt anything simmilar... i have experienced feeling that i CAN move many times tho. like i know im dreaming but i still walk around in my dream

10. Kitty kbw

Happens to me VERY frequently. You're not abnormal, Sleep Paralysis is a pretty common disorder. As mentioned earlier, it happens because you regain conciousness before the immobilization REM sleep brings on hasn't subsides. I know, it's pretty scary. The first time it happened to me I thought I was paralyzed for life! But Im accepting it now. I hate it though when I fall asleep in a car and I wake up and I'm paralyzed, and I can't tell anyone though they're all talking around me...

I also sleep walk, but that's something else entirely.

11. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Do you perform any rote behaviors like taking out the trash while you sleepwalk, Kitty?

Ah, terribly sorry if I'm prying, I just think sleep disorders are interesting. Might be because I saw the movie "Altered States" at an impressionable age.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  12. Kitty kbw

You're not prying, simply interested and that's great. Generally when I sleep walk, I get out of bed and continue to walk until a collide with something. If it's a wall or a solid object that doesn't fall over, I'll actually continue to bump into the wall repeatedly until my parents or one of my siblings comes and directs in me in a different path. They never actually wake me up.

As for rote behaviors, I'll sometimes urinate in the plants, remove dishes from the cabinets and clean the kitchen table, pick up the dog and tend to my hair. These are all second hand accounts though.

13. Lien small and mighty

When you sleep and it feels as if you're falling - what is that called? I hate it and it always wakes me up >.>

14. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Wow! You do all that! It really makes you think about how much of the day's daily activities are performed by rote, while the brunt of the conscious mind dwells elsewhere. I know I'm one to space out while watering the plants ;)

15. TippmannMan Karakura Lion Jet!

The sleep fall is attributed to the gradual release by the brain as you drift into sleep, I forget the name, some kind of long scientific word. I get that a lot too, but only when I'm awake, I haven't been woken up by it. It's only happened recently though, I never got them when I was younger. Sometimes my leg or arm will just spasm too, which is also the same as the sleep fall thing.

EDIT: Hot lips, QT LiEn! :thumbs

16. Mukuro Death B4 A Million ?

I couldn't move in my sleep once. It lasted for about 20secs but it was nothin to worry bout... Then one day I woke up and couldn't move my right hand or my fingers... Now i was worried about that cos it wouldn't go away... so I went back to bed and the next time i woke up it was gone

17. Chintsuzai The Messenger

It's happened to me more than once before. Although mine lasts for about 5 minutes not a couple seconds.. >_>; I'm wide awake but I can't open my eyes or move even a finger.. but it only happens to me when I get put to sleep for an operation and when I wake up, I'm fully consious but I can't move at all. I told that to my friend and she told that to her mom (who's a nurse) and her mom said that that's not supposed to happen.. -__-; buut it happens all the time when I get put to sleep.. I donno maybe it's just me?

18. TippmannMan Karakura Lion Jet!

How many times do you get put to sleep!? :blink

19. metronomy Active Member

It's actually quite common.

20. Chintsuzai The Messenger

^^; I've had a few operations in my life.. lmao

21. Wierd Divide Melancholy death of oyster boy

I've never had it but that sounds horrible. It reminds me of those experiments that have been conducted on animals, such as the one where the put a cat upon a large pole with a platform at the top just big enough for the cat to stand on. They wait for it to fall asleep and measure how long it takes for the cat's body to succumb to the paralysis, when it, of course falls off the platform. I remember learning about that in Psychology and thinking that there is probably a much more humane way of measuring it, but they were old experiments.

I hate sleep falling, it's absolutely the worst way to wake up when you are drifting off to sleep.

22. minnatrix New Member

23. Masaki Mugiwara Kaizoku

I've never had that. In fact, I often wake up to find my covers kicked away.

24. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

I sort of doubt psychologists have found a more humane way of measuring the time to sleep onset, seeing as how first year neuro students are still busying themselves stitching up and chopping out the EYES of kitty-cats.

(Sigh, I'm such a species snob; why can't I just request a dog or something? It's all cat-brain this, cat-brain that, don't forget to CAT-scan and categorize those cat's brains!)

25. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

Never has happen to me. The only thing that happens to me is that sometimes my body turns in wrong positions or whatever and my arm or hand is numb when i wake up.

Another thing is, some bad muscle cramps and i cant move my leg so i have to pressure it. all this of course after ive woken up. i feel nothing during sleep.

26. Lorii Lo-kotsu

yeah happened to me coz i had a nightmare and i was scared stiff!!...couldn't move after a few seconds until i calmed down...

27. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Retired Staff

I've had that feeling :xp

It's almost like your temporarily paralyzed. I'm never fully awake, but I want to get up but I can't...

28. PandaBot Kamishini no Yari

well i don't know because i?m sleeping...but if i have just waken up i need to generate much and much of power to raise up

29. JayG Konoha's Beautiful Green Beast

I'll have to read up on this SP thing. I've had this happen to me a couple of times. Both times, I was dreaming, didn't like what I was dreaming about (nightmares) and "forced" myself to wake up. I then ended up being in a state between "awake" and "asleep" (in that I am still somewhat aware of what is going on in my dream, and at the same time aware of what is going on in RL), but unable to move or speak.

30. DevilB0i Banned