1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Voting is open in the KCC Haiku Contest!
    Entries can be found here.
    The poll closes on August 24th at 2:59pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice
  5. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest 6!
    Deadline for entries: September 08th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom vs. SNK 2

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by Duy Nguyen, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Duy Nguyen

I noticed we haven't had a CvS2 thread yet, or haven't had a serious one. I just got back into playing this game seriously, which is a bit hard, since it's so different from 3s and ST playstyle.

I'm using the team in my sig right now, and I got a lot of work to do. My Vega is so-so, my Rock and Blanka however are very weak. I know ways on how to improve my gameplay with Vega, but I'm having the hardest time with Rock and Blanka.

With Rock, I just adapt to the situation and take control whenever I get the chance, but it's damn hard to gain control or grasp a strong gameplay against Cammy. She just out prioritize all of my pokes, and her angle on the s.HK is a tedious thing for Rock to get around with. I was wondering if you guys have any "good" tips on how to hang against Cammy, other than tips like; throw LP Reppukens and guess a lucky Crack Counter.

My Blanka's gameplay seems gimped at the moment because I can't RC Lightning if my life depended on it. I'm drumming too slow, but I'll work on it and gain a huge gameplay boost...hopefully.

So for right now, I'm fighting a huge uphill battle against my friend. He's VERY good at CvS2, running K-Geese, Cammy, and Sagat-R2. His Geese is just damn beastly, but if I play right my Vega counter Geese quite well. Cammy just tears me up, and his Sagat is no big surprise to me, since I've fought a huge share of Sagats.

Well this thread is open to any CvS2 discussions, questions, and stuff. I myself know a thing or two about CvS2 so feel free to ask, but my knowledge is not that great compared to my 3s knowledge. I read SRK for help on my Rock, but I'd like a variety of opinion from different people so I decide to post something here.

Tags:
  2. Chamcham Trigger

So you don't use Ken in your main team as well?
    I tried to, but while I can get some good strats out with him, I have a couple of characters that work better than him, which are (in this order): Mai, Joe, Cammy, and Maki. Cammy's N groove rushdown game is phenomenal. Her fierce punch and kick when rushing them down can be a nightmare when done right. The only problem is that I'm good with characters in different grooves, so I can never have Cammy and Maki in the same groove since I use Maki in C groove (there's probably a better one for her, but I'm not knowledgable of it), and Cammy in N groove. I use Joe and Mai in the groove that's determined whether I'm using Cammy or Maki though. But Mai seems to be a better N groove character though. I could be wrong.

I tried P groove, but it throws off my game. Whenever I get used to parrying in CVS 2, it kinda affects my 3TS skills, and when I get used to 3TS again, I get messed up with my CVS 2 parry skills :S, so I don't bother with p groove anymore.

But you use Blanka and Vega? Those guys are freaking insane. Rock is great too, but sometimes seems complicated to use whenever using counter games, but that's probably just me. You ever try using Balrog? My friend, who taught me how to use Cammy, is a monster with him, and considering he has charge moves like Balrog and Vega, you might implement him nicely, and crush everyone.

3. IronFist Alchemist

I use no other groove but K Groove...I dunno, it's like I'm a frickin genius with the Just Defend, lol.

Choosing random select will help you find your niche with any character...and give you at least a basic understanding with em....My Blanka's beastly, but I'm not really a fan of Top tier characters (toooo many people choose em, lol) so that's why I decided to get good with people like Benimaru, Vice, Zangief (arguable that he's top tier) etc....

Rock Lee's a VERY hard character to be any good with...but I love him all the same! :amuse

My main teams are - Blanka/Bison/Guile, Sakura/Dan/Joe, and Rolento/Eagle/Haohmaru....favorite fighting game EVER! smile-big

4. Final Ultima

Ick, of all games you need help, it's the one I own but haven't played in ages. I dabble with Rock, but my main team is C-Ryu (R2), Iori, Terry. C-Groove just because it's convenient and I like being able to cancel Level 2 supers.

Not much advice I can give you though.

5. Duy Nguyen

ChamCham: Yea, I stopped playing Ken, because spamming RC Funky Kicks ain't always so fun. You should try and dabble with Vega as well, he's one hell of a character. CvS2 is a total poking game, and Vega as well as the other top tiers can poke and dictate where they stand just fine. Also, RC Vega Balls are fun to do. I tried out Balrog a while back, but he has too many limited uses. Sagat can seriously s.HP him all day for fun.

IronFist: My friend plays Zangief. He loses horribly to Vega, Sagat, and Cammy, but it's always fun to watch him or someone play Zangief. I swear, if they gave Zangief some more damage on the 360 throw, he'd be half decent. Sadly, it does pretty bad damage, and all of the characters that have very strong RCs and powerful pokes (pretty much the most common and top tiers characters) topple on top of Zangief.

Well thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

6. IronFist Alchemist

R4 Zangief on K groove > ALL!! lol, I never bother putting him on a team...but it's very fun playing as him! :amuse

7. Tone

If only I could RC consistently, I'd go back to using N-Groove. Sadly, I can't RC to save my life.

Currently, my main team is K- Rugal/Sagat/Geese(r2). Sagat is Sagat, not much to say about that. I think Rugal is underrated, though he is pretty lacking when you face off against top/upper tier characters... But I dunno who to replace him with. I had Kyo in there for a while, but in the end, it just didnt work out.. I cant use Kyo for shit in CVS... And he seems quite lacking when you compare him to his KOF versions.

I'm thinking of Cammy, Hibiki or Vega... not sure yet, since I'm no good with either three (even though I can just poke to death with Vega all day._.)

8. Tone

bump... theres got to be more love for this game here...

right? :(

9. dementia_

I am a total casual CvS2. All the reliance on Sagat/Blanka/Bisons, combined with the fact that none of my friends were into it turned me off on the game. FWIW, I played Terry, Rock and Kim, which are by no means bad characters, but I guess the game just wasn't for me.

10. Duy Nguyen

No one plays or cares I guess, but I've been going to the arcades quite frequently preparing myself for an upcoming tournament I'm running. I got lazy playing A-Groove and RCing, so I picked up K-Groove again. Another reason is that I lack a huge amount of gameplay strat for CvS2, so I decided to pick up K-Groove and not rely on RCs.

Currently playing the team in my sig, and I bring in Rock in place of Blanka every now and then, but it's just too hard to Rock to hang at times. I can score some lucky wins with Rock against Sagat, but it's dreadful against Cammy and Vega.

I plan to hit the arcades again this week to work on my Hibiki. I gotta react more and score better anti-air with her. My friend's Rolento can easily take her out, so yea, working on a steady ground game is a must right now for her.

11. Shunsuii

I LOVE THiS GAME, but my brother sold it when i went out of town.

I used Ken Shin Akuma and Evil Ryu, A Groove with the EO style, I was invicible at this on my xbox. God, my favourite game of all time

12. Duy Nguyen

^LOL, I actually laughed out loud. Not trying to be an elitist or anything, but Shin Akuma, Evil Ryu or any of the non-arcade secret characters are for scrubs. Plus EO mode is for scrubs, and I haven't heard someone say what you said for a while since AX probably, I laughed. Also the Xbox version is horrible.

I'm starting to give up on talking about fighting games here, lol. The scrubbiness is getting to me.

13. Final Ultima

Calm down, it's not as if a great deal of people realise that certain characters can't be played in arcades. Besides, it's not as if he said he picked EX-Groove or something.

14. IronFist Alchemist

Yah, it's been awhile since I heard "EO"....sucha disgrace, lol (can't you like, dash and do Blanka's roll attack at the same time?)

How exactly do you RC?I've seen it done plenty of times, but....yah.

15. Duy Nguyen

^Roll Cancels (RC) is performed by canceling the first 3 frames of a roll into a special move giving the special move the invincibility frames of the roll, which is why sometimes you see Blanka Balling through a fireball. You pretty much have 1/60th of a second to cancel that roll into a special move, but as hard and overwhelming as it seems, RCs are pretty easy granted you practice on it. I think I got the jist of it down in one day, and did it pretty consistently in a week, but now I suck so I can't do it as well anymore.

Yes, RC is a glitch in the game that everyone feared that it would be too broken and suck, but it turned out pretty good. RCs gave a lot of characters more options and made them even better. Some for example are E.Honda, Ken, and such. RCs gave the mid-tier or low-tier characters a dying chance against top tiers, and becaues of RCs some characters became top tier or beyond it.

Well back to the above queston, here is an example of how I RC a fireball.
    The motion in which I hit is this: d, df, roll, f, punch. If you do it successfully you can actually see the first couple frames, 3 to be exact, of the roll come out and it'll go straight to the fireball. For Ken, Ryu, and Akuma you can see their arm go forward and like dissappears into their fireball animation, with Guile you can see him tilt his head forward before he does a Sonic Boom and so on.

Oh, and for moves that require repeative pressing like Chun's kicks and Blanka's lightning. Here is how they RC Lightning (the most deadliest RC in the game): hp, mp, lp, roll, hp. Now try drumming that super fast across the stick, and if Blanka somewhat moves a bit forward you got the RC lightning. The time is pretty damn strict and difficult to pull off at first, but it'll become second nature to you. If you wanna practice RC lightning, work with the dash in then RC lightning, it'll give you more time to drum the punches before the dash ends. Then move onto more harder things like whiff a c.lk and do it, beastly I know.

Lastly, yea Ironfist. EO allows you to use the second analog stick on the GC or Xbox and hit a certain direction and it'll do the move without adding any inputs, except hitting the direction on the analog. So yea, you can activate A-Groove with Sakura, and hold the direction of her dragon punch, and you can do a simpe ShoSho combo without any effort; same goes for Bison's Paint The Fence, but you gotta atleast set it up and juggle him at the wall for that one.

@Final Ultima: Yea I know, it just reminds me of the times when someone beats a scrub in the arcade, and they refer to how they can beat you on a GC or Xbox version with their EX-Groove EO Mode.

16. IronFist Alchemist

So you need N-groove and A-Groove for RC'ing?? well I'm basically exclusive to K-groove, so it's useless for me, lol.

Oh, and EO Zangief = God Tier if that's the case! :laugh

17. Duy Nguyen

^LOL yea, Zangief is hella beastly in EO. You missed out on C-Groove...^_^

18. IronFist Alchemist

Ahh, screw EO....which groove you think's the overall best? I'm leaning towards N-groove for it's versatility.

19. Duy Nguyen

^No doubt the best groove in the game is A-Groove. It has the hugest damage potential out of all of grooves depending on the character, Roll Cancels, alpha counters, and yea Custom Comboes are just too damn good. The meter also builds really fast second the C-Groove, so you can throw out more CCs. The 2nd biggest damage meter is K-Groove, but that's only when you're rage and land a lvl3 super, A-Groove however can store that meter and pop it out whenever it is need and they'll crush you. Also the other player has to be sooooo careful when the other has a full meter on A-Groove, cause if you get baited into it you'll eat a big fat CC, and the CC flash is REALLY fast with a shitload of invincibility frames for those of you who aren't use to fighting A-Groove.

Oh yea, A-Groove made Sakura, Bison, Vega, Blanka, and some others into killing machines. There is nothing more scary than Bison and Sakura with full meter; Sakura can mess you up with ShoShoSho whether you block or not, and Bison will take out all of your life easily if he lands Paint The Fence on you, and it's not that hard to land a PTF with Bison granted you know the setups.

Second best Groove would C-Groove, for meter storage, quick meter building, RCs, lvl2 super cancels, and alpha counters. A-Groove is the more offensive groove where as C-Groove is the more turtle, and patience groove. Honorable mentioned C-Groove characters are Chun-Li, Sagat, E.Honda, Ken, etc.

Most tournaments would probably consist of C and A-Groove users on top. The last SBO tournament had nothing but C and A-Groove. Actually there was only one guy using C-Groove and that was Mago, the rest used A-Groove.

After that I'd rank it from 3rd to shit...
    K-Groove
    N-Groove
    P-Groove
    S-Groove

N-Groove is not as good as you think it is, even though it has a lot of stuff. The damage potential is weak compared to C, A, and K. There are some characters that can excel extremely well in N-Groove though. Those guys are Iori, Hibiki, Chun-Li, Sagat (duh), etc. You have no idea how annoying a good RCing N-Iori is, ugh, the only way to get out of those barrage of RC punch comboes is jump straight up, but once you figure that out, he'll mix it up and again dance all over you. Watch Buktooth (One of America's finest players and best N-Groove player) play, he tears a lot of shit up with N-Iori, Morrigan, and Hibiki. Yes that was not a typo, he plays Morrigan, even though he calls her a worthless whore, lol.

20. Final Ultima

No joke, Sakura's A-Groove Shououken combo is like watching someone getting gatling gunned at point blank against a wall. It's painful to watch, and yet I can't look away.

Fortunately, she's comparatively tame without any meter though. If a Sagat player (I say Sagat of course because he's the easiest example) manages to defend against her A-Groove combo well enough, Sakura's in for some hurting. The others seem far more irritating without meter by comparison, goddamn Roll Cancel Electricity.

21. Tone

everything was all fine and dandy until someone had to mention A-Sakura and that godamn SHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHO. Thats what I hate about K... You get caught in stuff like that, and it's impossible to escape :(

Trying out N-Groove atm.. Rock/Sagat... I dunno who else... Iori? Chun? Cammy? argh.

In any case, theres a tournament saturday at the nearby arcade for this, marvel, DR and stuff.. Gonna enter KOFXI, and maybe CVS2. Wish me luck, folks :eek:

22. MS81

I'm only good with A,P, and N groove I usually mix them with ex groove but ppl say that's cheating.

23. Duy Nguyen

Duo K: Yea ShoShoSho will mess up any K-Groove, because we have a crappy guard bar and on alpha counter. There is a trick to countering it, but it's VERY fancy, daring, and hard to pull off. Ino one of Japan's top K-Groover empty buffers in his dragon punch motions and not press punch, for precautions. If he sees them dancing for that activaton he starts to empy buffers, and when the time rises he just needs to press punch becaues he already added in the motion before the flash.

My friend Minh can do this pretty well, and will counter you with Geese or DP you with Cammy or Sagat. It's pretty rare that he actually does though, being that it's too risky to do, but I asked him when does he do it. He just tells me when he's comfartable that he already set fear into the other guy and can call that activation a million miles away.

What teams are you going to enter in for KoFXI and CvS2 Duo K?
    Also best of luck to you in the tournament. Remember to breathe, be patient, and adapt to the matchups.

Yes, EX-Groove is lame.

24. MS81

@Duy Nguyen I mean yeah for online and arcade tournaments yes it is but just trying to find out combos and stuff it's good.

25. IronFist Alchemist

...Is there like...ANYONE that plays with S-Groove??...at all???

26. "Shion"

No offense bro, but your team is kinda stinky...

27. IronFist Alchemist

WHAT?? Blanka and Sagat are top tier characters!

Who do you use Shion?? :notrust

28. Duy Nguyen

Reasons, on why you think this a bad team, is it the alignments or bad use of groove?

Because hopefully you don't mean my character selection. Blanka is so-so in K-Groove, but I enjoy playing him and I'm a tier whore, but Sagat and Hibiki is very dominant in K-Groove, especially Hibiki. I would rather play C-Sagat, but then again it's Sagat he can do whatever he wants in whatever groove.

Aside from that who would you rather prefer in my team and it's alignment?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  29. Haohmaru

I don't really like using Hibiki but Sagat and Blanka are a good choice. I usually choose SNK characters cause I'm used to it. Capcom characters tend to have smaller normal combo's that's why I prefer SNK characters.
    Only Capcom characters I like playing with are Sagat, Ryu, Ken, Blanka, Akuma.
    Do you guys modify your grooves or what? Roll, Run & parry/just defend are a must IMO.

30. Duy Nguyen

^No, I play it like how it should be, with all of the grooves normal and non-edited. Hibiki is a good character. She is my counter towards the Shotos, Chun-Li, and other chars that have weak ground games. Not saying Chun has a week ground game, but she wish she can outpoke Hibiki, and Hibiki's close s.hp hits straightup and will anti-air Chun-Li clean in any crossup attempt, har har har.