1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice

Captain First release

Discussion in 'Bleach' started by supersayainkakashi, Oct 8, 2006.

1. supersayainkakashi

When captain release their shikai, how come they always say the name first even though they do not need to since they have attained bankai?

Do you believe it gives the release more power, or is just for show to us, and to be all proper and formal?

Tags:
  2. Jh1stgen

Just for the drama and the spotlight i guess ^_^;;

3. Parell

QFT. it is possible that when you say the name it is stronger as when Renji rlesed it did seem alot wimpier than he usually did it, althoughthe occasion did not call for him to do much, but then you could also say he would want to do more because he wanted to beat Byakuya.

4. jonat3

The manga seems to suggest that the name would make the move more powerful. For example, Renji was surprised that Byakuya's kidou was still so powerful, even though he didn't use the name. And Zangetsu states that knowing the name and not knowing the name makes a difference to the attack power.

From all of the above, i conclude that it MAY be possible that one can generate the same amount of power without using the name, but that would require alot of skill. It would probably just be easier to use the name and get the full amount of power.

5. supersayainkakashi

No thats different. Ichigo doesnt know the name of the attack, it just came out.

The Captains know the name of their attack, its just sometimes they choose not to use the name.

6. Missing_Nin

It's so the reader can know the name. That's why Renji didn't need to say it again because we already knew the name.

7. jonat3

chapter 161 (flashback during the fight between ichigo and Byakuya)

Zangetsu: "Since knowing its name and not knowing its name... makes a big difference in the resulting attack strength."

Couple above with how Byakya was surprised that Renji didn't need to chant the name to use his shikai when they fought each other, i can conclude that the name is somehow important for the power of that particular attack/technique.

8. HugeGuy

Well, that's because it implies Renji has achieved bankai which Byakuya didn't expect. But I agree that names may be important to increase the destructive power.

9. Kisame

HE WAS TALKING ABOUT GETSUGA TENSHOU NOT THE NAME OF THE RELEASE>

Of course knowing the name of the attack instead of randomly doing it when you are in a life or death situation makes a difference.

10. FrostXian

Also that is KNOWING the name of the attack, not SAYING it.

11. Mori`

I'd figure its just like kidou, you can do a high level kidou without the incantation but its likely to be a hell of a lot weaker a la Aizen and the black coffin he used on Komamura.

Probably releasing your shikai without calling a name leaves it slightly less powerful or something like that...

but yeah, mainly for the drama XD

12. Oskar von Reuental

It's to sound cool, really. I mean, they could just release and get it over and done with.

1. Introduce yourself
    2. Stare your opponent down
    3. Tell them about your attack
    4. Strike a dramatic pose
    5. Attack their weak point for massive damage
    6. Repeat 2-5 as necessary
    7. ???????
    8. Profit

13. Usopp

Here's another question, I always thought Hitsugaya's Shikai was that crescent moon flail that he can wip out at the end of his sword, but in his fight against Gin, he didn't say Bankai, and then when he said Bankai against Aizen, it was "Grand Blazing Hyourinmaru".

So is his shikai just a weaker Hyourinmaru or is it the crescent moon-chain?

14. supersayainkakashi

Yeah thats his shikai, he says the name, just so the fans can know what the name is.

But I am sure, YOU DONT need to say it regaurding power, and that its just for fans to know and to show off the drama. It does sound good though. Howl, Zabimaru. Cry, Wabusaki

When Zangetsu said knowing the name, he meant the name of his getsanguu attack, not the name of releasing your shikai(Ichigos Shikai is already released)

And yes as said before, Niisama was surprised that Renji could release his shikai without saying its name, thus meaning, he was wondering when Renji got bankai, seeing as how he is his captain.

So please I was just making sure we were on the same page, because some people seem to make up their own ideas and theories and thus take things the wrong way.

15. jonat3

Yeah, i know it was his attack name, but all this business of names in the manga gave me the impression that ALL names are important, period. Wether they are used for kidou, release or attacks. I've read bleach since the beginning and one of the things i like about it, is how Kubo tries to avoid using cliche's. And one of those cliche's is shouting out a name for no reason.

Considering Kubo's track record, i sincerely doubt that shouting the name for the release is meaningless and only meant for show.

16. Kisame

saying the name for kidou doesnt make it stronger. Saying the chant for kidou makes it stronger.

17. jonat3

Yeah, that's what i meant for kidou. So i'll just generalize and say "words" for all you nitpickers. Words are important in bleach.

18. Wrath

It's because KT is in love with that device. I mean if, say, Kishimoto did the same thing, then there would be at least one page of the characters doing handseals before every jutsu.

19. Mori`

I like that device as well, we'd all moan if there were no attack names as we wouldn't know what to call them. Kubo explained away what would be a seemingly unstrategic tactic of yelling out that you are going to do something by having that not using the name lessens its power. Handy little device.

20. Trias

Well, I guess he could've revealed swords' names in the same way he introduced captains.

But well, it adds much more to atmosphere, I must say. A "Pierce him, Shinsou" makes you say "oooh shit" and enemy knowing that it's coming right for him when Byakuya serenely says "Scatter, Senbonzakura" everytime...

It is indeed cool.