1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for Graphic of the Week 50 -- Contest Central Banner is live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Voting for Photograph of the Week 54 -- Landscapes is also live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Entries for Graphic of the Week 51 -- Dragon Avatars are open! Click here to check it out!

Entries for Photograph of the Week 55 -- Freestyle are open! Click here to check it out!

-- Contest Central Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Throw the dice to win Golden Sparkles for a month. Check this thread.

Dismiss Notice

[MCU] Captain Marvel [March 8, 2019]

Discussion in 'Comic Book Theatre' started by BlazingInferno, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Suigetsu Legendary

What we need... IS FATHOM by James Cameron!

2. DemonDragonJ Edgelord

What I meant to ask was: why was Ronan a campy ham in GotG, but stern and serious in this film?

Yes, I do agree that some of the sexism in this film seemed to be artificially and deliberately exaggerated for the purpose of conflict, and this article, , discusses that issue in greater detail. Wonder Woman was very similar to this film, but it did not need to create artificial tension by exaggerating sexist attitudes toward women, which was especially impressive, when one considers that that film was set 80 years earlier than this film; also, WW allowed it main character to have romance, dispelling the idea that falling in love makes a woman weaker; if a man can have romance and still be strong, the same is true for women, as well. Essentially, Captain Marvel had a "strong female character," whereas Wonder Woman had a "strong character who happens to be female" as its main protagonist.

Also, Come as You Are by Nirvana was released in 1992, and this movie was set in 1995, but Carol left Earth in 1989, so I doubt that she could have had the time to familiarize herself with that song sufficiently that it would be ingrained in her subconsciousness.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. shit shit is the ne plus ultra

What proof?
    And my main point wasn't the money but the risk, it'd tank the entire corporation, lawsuits aside it'd demolish their reputation with the public, there's just no way they could be that stupid

4. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

You mean beyond the hundreds of empty theatres? The charity tickets which were never given over to the recipients?

Why? What they did with the charities, isnt illegal. The charities themselves would have broken the law but not so much the Mouse. That was totally legal on their end.

Now, forcing theatres to stop showing Alita on march 8th...that definitely was an anti-Trust beed.

5. Wonder Mike SEALED

The Mouse Cult though

6. shit shit is the ne plus ultra

This alita stuff sounds like complete reaching

I'm not saying it's illegal, it's a huge betrayal of people's trust and if it's true it's bound to be blown completely open and make Disney a complete laughing stock

And you're basing it all on some tweets from randos about a few empty theaters among millions and saying the set up movie before the most anticipated movie since return of the Jedi wouldn't make that much opening weekend? I see you don't name the charities either which means no proof I guess

It's way more likely that this is a conspiracy theory born of ridiculous identity politics in some social media war, it just offends me how preposterous it is and people are entertaining it

If it was ever proven true I would boycott Disney for the rest of my life, and they did it so feminists would look good? That's insane

7. ATastyMuffin Kanye's Biggest Fan

Just saw CM

Better than Doctor Strange, GotG2, at best. Was pretty good; I was surprised at how strong the overall cast was. In terms of ranking, it goes:

Great:
    Black Panther
    Winter Soldier
    Avengers 1

Very Good:
    Guardians 1
    Iron Man
    Civil War
    Infinity War
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Captain America: The First Avenger

Good:
    Iron Man 3
    Captain Marvel
    Guardians 2
    Ant-Man

Average:
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Ant-Man & The Wasp
    Thor
    Doctor Strange

Bad:
    Thor 2
    The Incredible Hulk
    Age of Ultron
    Iron Man 2

So solid mid-tier Marvel.

8. Pocalypse Well-Known Member

As if Disney have a problem of putting bums onto seats with their MCU films that they'd need to buy out tickets :lmao

9. ~VK~ The King

this page is so damn eyeroll inducing

i swear some of you niggas really need to stop watching/lurking whatever shit youtube channel or 4chan board is peddling all this bullshit to you smh :giogio

10. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

Considering Cameron's people are reportedly lawyering up? I don't think it is

Yes it is but people are too distracted by SJW nonsense to really focus on what the Mouse is actually doing...And this is hardly the first time a Film studio or major entertainment company has pulled shit like this. See the Legendary/Warner Bro's falling out where they nearly and border line illegally tried to torpedo the first Godzilla film before it went out. Toho and a few Japanese firms who held Cinema distribution rights threatened to coordinate together to block all WB films from releasing in Asia...and to also cease production of toys and a bunch of other stuff unless they laid off the Godzilla IP

this kinda shady shit is par for the course. The only difference today is that Disney is exploiting political silliness to hide it.

Hardly I'm basing this off hundreds of pictures, data being provided by the movie theatres themselves and again..Jimmy boy reportedly speaking to council. Also, research done by commentators and having seen the Alita drop off myself in real time :zaru

That doesn't make sense, because only one side is making this about identity politics and it aint the "conspiracytard" side.

..No Disney did this so it could pocket half a billion dollars and not pay a single red cent in Taxes :zaru

Read my post carefully, I'm not accusing Disney of identity politics, I'm accusing them of exploiting a contentious political climate to essentially commit border line Tax Fraud.

11. Huey Freeman The Gent

Heard this movie had a 72% drop off so far

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. Snake Well-Known Member

:feelsgoodman

13. Wonder Mike SEALED

But the cult will say it's conspiracy theory.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • List
  14. Snake Well-Known Member

The sheep are incapable of individual thought. Hence why they are sheep. :feelsgoodman

15. Wonder Mike SEALED

Gotta suck that mouse's dick no matter how bad it tastes.

16. Mabel Gleeful Mage

"We spoke with a movie theater manager who asked for anonymity."

This is in the same level of badness as when Nicholas Blanford cites "anonymous Hezbollah members" whenever he reports on Lebanon or Syria.

17. Snake Well-Known Member

Nice cope. :feelsgoodman

18. Mabel Gleeful Mage

Just like "everyone's a Disney cultist" :caticon

19. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

I never said Aquaman was better than Alita. I am say Alita looks creepy. You can't translate certain art styles into real life.

I am willing to bet Alita's eyes probably turned away many audience members.

There is a thing called the Uncanny Valley, and Alita crossed it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 12:49 AM
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Snake Well-Known Member

:feelsgoodman

21. Sennin of Hardwork The Greater Fool Moderator

22. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

Sheep flocking to another generic MCU movie with a bland actress , retcons ,plot holes ,and making Fury a joke .

>Closes her eyes and masters her powers

She's literally Rey from Disney SW .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  23. Kansas City Kipchaks Point Guard Well-Known Member

In the MCU that least makes more sense since she is not a Jedi.

24. Jouninja Well-Known Member

I just realized something, after reading about the rumor of her hating the other cast members, what if, WHAT IF, this is some weird publicity stunt, because, hear me out, they are going to literally, cinematic-ally recreate this version of Rogue's backstory, so in order to do this, they want to fabricate dislike for Brie Larson, so that when her powers get passed off to Rogue, there will be no outcry or fan base backlash. :catprotecc

Speaking of X-men, have you guys talked about the fact that the MCU has now acquired them, thanks to the merger Disney did. :catcatcat

Spoiler:
    I'm HOPING to hopium that the MCU version of them is going to be like the 90's time(which the cartoon from that era was based off the comics of the time), and be near faithful to that adaption of the X-men.

90's X-men was imo the best version, because it had cool stuff like the "lethal attractions" storyline where Wolverine had his adamantium ripped out, or true angel of death Archangel, or the ninja Psylocke, or Rogue with super strength and flight, the coolest version of cyclops, GAMBIT, scary @$$ eff villains like 90s magneto(who was savage enough to rip out wolverine's skeleton in the first place), Juggernaut who ISN'T a mutant and uses magical powers related to Dr. Strange(who used the Cyttorak bands, from the same source as Juggernauts power).

There was a ton of good storylines then, including some with the AVENGERS, do you really want to deny the awesomeness of that Captain America, Wolverine, Black widow cover!? :catdrake (SPOILERS below if your planning to collect and read these somehow.:catroll I'd just wait for the MCU version of this, lol. )

Strangely enough, X-man was a very Trunks like character, with DBZ levels of power to boot, lol. :psyduck He played a big role during the final arc of the 90s X-men.

And Lots of intimidating bad guys like Mojo, Mr. Sinister, and a bunch of others(and I got my sig from this). Even LOKI was a villain for the X-men at some point.

Life's hard for the X-men when you have this many scary enemies. :catshivers

Anyways, the X-men themselves at the time had the best designs out of any iteration of X-men, not the 80s X-men that came before them, or the 00s and up that came after, 90s is WHERE and WHEN the true X-men existed imo. :catspaz

And, the whole era ended in the late 90s with the insane ONSLAUGHT story line that started with JUGGERNAUT getting KNOCKED OUT and thrown hundreds of miles, and ends with a city wide battle against Onslaught, where in the end, most of the Avenger's sacrificed themselves to defeat him(and Hulk lost his Professor Hulk form(rumored to be in Avengers End game) and had to go back to a raging brute in order to dent Onslaught enough for the others to damage him.

MCU has the potential to do something big with it's version of the X-men. :catshades

After several MCU X-men movies, they'll eventually get to this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  25. Slice Dangerous

The movie is average but not objectively bad.
    Larson said some really stupid things and talked herself into a corner.

But still some of you guys need to put down the tin foil hat and relax.

26. Pocalypse Well-Known Member

You mean Fatal Attractions and not lethal :cat

don't forget Xavier mind wiping Magneto too, that shit was on the same level as Wolvy getting his shit ripped out :caticon

27. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

She's just another Mary Sue.

28. Kansas City Kipchaks Point Guard Well-Known Member

Based on recent Disney idiocy. i would not be shocked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • List
  29. Fang

41.4% drop on Wednesday, ouch. We were at supposedly $520 million on Monday now after two or three days only up 30 million from then. Its starting to lose a lot of steam.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  30. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

Maybe marvel should've bought more tickets :catsmug