1. img
    Enter in the Alley Banner Contest!
    Deadline for entries is December 15th.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Chances of Gintama being Licensed?

Discussion in 'Featured Anime of the November 2008' started by stardust, Nov 6, 2008.

1. stardust

I'm content with it being not licensed, somewhat. I dread to think what would happen if this got licensed and aired somewhere, like on Cartoon Network. The chances of that happening are low, but I hate to think what would happen if it became mainstream. Sure, I think this show deserves a lot more recognition, and it's one of the only Shounen Jump series I like. It's clever in the way that it's somewhat parodying itself, yet it's so subtle, you'd think it's just a comedy. At least the manga is licensed, so that's a step in the right direction.

I wouldn't say it's 'unpopular' now, I'd just say a lot of people aren't really aware of it, or the people that are, regard it in the same veins as Bleach and Naruto. Childish, and downright terrible. Although, more people are starting to watch it now. On a certain image board, when someone ends up posting caps of various scenes, there are usually people asking what it is. I think it's just gathering interest at the moment, for example, I'm seeing more and more people on the internet mentioning it every week, and I'll give it perhaps until the end of the year/early next year until it becomes pretty popular. People should keep recommending it to their anime-watching friends, and they can tell their friends, until a good percent watches it, and it would generate more of a buzz. Then, that would raise hopes of it being licensed. If people just dropped the 'general sj' tag from it, and actually gave it a chance, I'm sure they'd like it.

Tags:
  2. ~Shin~

Way too much references and parodies to draw in a big audience IMO.

While people might get some of jokes, it's not an anime that would appeal to the regular anime watcher. So I don't really see it being licensed any time soon.

3. El Torero

In Spain, it has been licensed last month :nuts

4. Suzumebachi

Of course, they could rework it like they did Shin Chan and Ghost Stories. But that'd be lame.

5. HEATAQUA

I can see Viz Media or Funimation getting it

6. Austeria

I actually heard that they were going to license it but didn't because Sunrise wouldn't let them change Hijikata's smoking. I'm not sure if this is true at all. If it is, then kudos to Sunrise.