1. img
    Voting is live in the Art Lounge Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We consider ideas for a brand name. You can probably come up with a good one. Click. Within cells, interlinked.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Character Discussion - Mion/Shion

Discussion in 'Featured Anime of November 07' started by BakaOnna, Nov 11, 2007.

1. BakaOnna

I know, I know, why did I put the twins together? Well... cuz I felt like it. :p Nah, it's because it'll give me an easier way of explaining this.

Mion/Shion Relevation (prepare for more epic mindf**k if you haven't already found this out. And yes, this was left out in the anime):
    Spoiler:
    At the end of Meakashi-hen, we finally know that Shion is the one behind everything. In reality, the character we know as Mion (the one since the 1st arc and so on) is actually the original Shion, while the one we know as Shion (who we meet in the 2nd arc) is actually the original Mion. Confusing much? Here's what happened:

The twin we know as "Mion" was actually borned second after the twin known as "Shion". Both twins felt it was unfair with the way the whole Sonozaki family was set up, and how it was always being ratted down so they switch places, much like shown in the anime. One day when Shion (the one we know as Mion) was pretending to be Mion, she was mistaken and given the demon seal/tatoo to signify her as the head of the Sonozaki household. Thus, the girls became their wrong idenities, and the original Mion (we know as Shion) is left with the curse of being an outsider, and the one that goes crazy in Watangashi-hen and Meakashi-hen. Over time, however, since they are constantly in their "roles", they've forgotten who they really were, meaning the real Shion became who we know as "Mion", and the real Mion became who we know as "Shion".

This fact will is presented slightly two TIPS since the "Shion" we know refers to herself as Mion and view her sister as Shion.

But first, here's some extra info on the history of the (very messed up) Sonozaki family:

There you go. Now you know why. So post your opinions, views, thoughts, questions, concens, whatever's on your mind about the Sonozaki twins.

Oh, and for the sake of less confusion, just stick with their anime names. :p

Tags:
  2. Monna

That reading was proabably atleast 10x more confusing that how they explained it in the anime (which I actualy understood).

3. BakaOnna

That wasn't explained in the anime. The anime never even touched on it (which I'm kinda glad they didn't.) Basically, the Mion we know of (the tomboyish one that likes Keiichi) is actually Shion, and the Shion we know of (that goes crazy and likes Satoshi) is Mion. The rest goes as I explained in my first post.

Here, maybe these TIPS will sort of explain things (these TIPS take place at the end of Meakashi-hen): Epilogue A
    Epilogue B
    Epilogue C
    Shion's Dream/Final Note

4. Monna

Mion is Mion and Shion is Shion. :sag

I'm personaly just going to go with the anime's canon.

5. Clouds-Are-Nice

...:huh...

...I think it'll take a while for my brain to process this...

6. QBnoYouko

You guys take a while huh? It certainly makes some sense now. But I don't think the names are what matters anyway, it's the character.

With that said, the Sonozaki twins are awesome characters. Watanagashi-hen and Meakashi-hen proved that much. It's because of them I began to respect Satsuki Yukino ever more for distinguishing between the voices extremely well, even through song.

7. MarthX7

Mion (birth name Shion): loves Keiichi, has the demon tattoo, is the Sonozaki heir, is the club leader

She was originally Shion, the outcast of the Sonozakis. She got the demon tattoo by accident instead of her sister. She feels bad about it for taking her life.

Shion (birth name Mion): loves Satoshi, carries a tazer, is the outcast of the Sonozakis

She was originally Mion, she was supposed to be the Sonozaki heir. But one day while they swapped places, her sister got the demon tattoo instead of her. They were unable to reverse the situation so Mion became Shion.

8. Clouds-Are-Nice

So that means in Watanagashi-hen, the tattooed Shmion that killed everyone was the one we knew as 'Mion' for the first arc?

9. MarthX7

No. She never showed the tattoo because she didn't have it. The one we know as Mion is innocent and doesn't kill anyone. The one we know as Shion can go crazy and kill several people.

Shion's talk about having a demon in her is referring to her jealousy and hatred that's motivating her to do all these things.

The Mion in Onikakushi was Mion. Shion was never shown but she was at Angel Mort and saw Keiichi there. That's why Mion knew he was there with Ooishi.

10. Clouds-Are-Nice

Thanks for the explanation, Shion\Mion makes sense to me now. :amuse

11. G@R-chan

I like a lot both characters, I only considered Shion before seeing Mion a lot more in the second season. I love her face when she's having club activities, and the overall things she's doing to help everyone.
    Shion is the cute one, definitely hooked me up the first time she appeared at Angel mort. Even when she goes batshit crazy is fascinating.:awesome

12. Tokkan

Shion. Feminine, motherly to Satoko and occasionally homicidally psychotic. Wears her hair down with a ribbon tied to the back.

Mion. Demon tattooed, masculine and refers to herself as a middle-aged man (oji-san). Wears her hair in a ponytail.

Satsuki Yukino definitely does a great job doing the both of them, as I'm very capable of telling who's who from voice alone. Personally, I prefer Mion out of the two. She's funnier, and I share in Kyon's (from Haruhi) view, ponytails turn me on.

13. Rocket Bear

Heck yeah, agreed.

Meakashi-hen solidified who my favorite sister was :3 Plus Mion x K is a pairing made from GAR.

14. Agmaster

Oh SNAP! I forgot about that! Man, this is a headache.