1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Character Sketches...nuf said

Discussion in 'Art Lounge' started by Halcyon Days, May 30, 2007.

1. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

These are just some character sketches I'm trying to do. I'm reading a book on drawing manga so i'm trying to get better steadily before I have to audition for an animator job. C and C appreciated.

Kristal

Tags:
  2. Nikitaa destruir para crear

Love the eyes :love But the hair begins too near from the eyebrow.. she has no forehead:p

3. Creator ♥Tsunade's Husband♥

Looks pretty good so far.

4. Dark Spirit Chicken!

an audition. wow that's cool.
    when?

here's some tips.
    try anatomy some more. make big drawings so you can add details easily.
    draw hands and feet!

good luck on your audition. ^^

5. konflikti Mammoth self control

To be honest they're pretty horrible. Features are placed incorrectly and as said earlier there isn't forehead. I suggest you to not follow teachings of a how to draw manga book, but first borrow a real anatomy for artist book and get familiar with the real thing. When you're somewhat good with that, you can bend your knowledge to match manga-like drawings.

They should look somethimg like this, maybe:

6. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

7. Skoemie Sandaime Skoemie

If going for an Animation job you need to have the proper program knowlidge... what animation program's do you use... iff it's the wrong program's or anything I will give you a list on program's to use for animation.

And where do you wanna work as an animator... and that kinda stuff... if you tell me perhaps I can be of decent help. (I am a student for Designer Animation and Games so I got a decent understanding of the software that is used)

8. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

I dont have any. my school is so terrible. I'll have to wait until graduate school before I can get into deep detail in my craft. Any help on what programs or anything would be helpful right now. Right now they're trying to cover teh entire field of art painting sculption and stuff ike that.

I wanted to try and work at I think its Turner in Atlanta, ga. You do games .that's cool. I want to be animator for cartoons.

9. Skoemie Sandaime Skoemie

The same with me... games is just an extra but it doesn't have any of my interest...

(program that Disney uses pref known as Aura)
    (Almost the same as Mirage but because the 2 companies broke up they went with different names pref also know as Aura)
    ToonBoom (vector based program used for the creation of the simpsons)
    (most used on the internet but I't not used for normal animation all that often)

10. k-k-Kyle Ippo > You. Period.

Like everyone else has said you do need to work on getting the anatomy correct. The drawings will be no good if they dont have decent human characteristics.

11. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

Thanks skoemie this is really helpful. do u use all of these programs when making your own animations.I'm downloading Mirage now

12. Skoemie Sandaime Skoemie

Mirage and TvPaint are practicly the same program...

Advantages of Mirage: you can add effects and stuff to your drawing in an easy mather. You can use the lighttable to make movements and us can cut a peace of work into peaces so you can animate it simpler. There is the posiblity to use this program as an editing tool.

Disadvantages of Mirage: You realy need a tablet (whell you always need one as an animator but stil) and it is hard to draw the same thing a couple of times even while using the light table... You need a lot of time to learn the program but iff you know it it wil be of great use.

Advantages of Toonboom: Easy to use... lipsink is easy as hell and you can adjust the color of each peace in one go. You can place things on a sightline so you can make things go to the back or front rather easy. You can use childs and parents to make it easyer to animate a moving figure

Disadvanteges of Toonboom: sometimes the camera work is an ass espacialy if you don't know how the pivot system works. for the rest there ain't downsides I can tink of cause I like this program

Advateges of Flash: It can be used in a variatie of projects such as site building and stuff. You can make graphic clips that you can put in your lybrary to make animating more easy...

Disadvateges of Flash: No parent and child option... and the scripting is the worst... they have a hand of changing the script with each version... you learn it, you go to another version... and you have to start over... it sucks. Whell I kinda hate flash so I don't have to much good to say about it

13. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

wow, thanks for all this help so far. do you make your own animations with these?I just downloaded toonboom and Mirage until I learn how to use them properly

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  14. Skoemie Sandaime Skoemie

also a few other questions... where are you from and what's your age... don't go for an audition if you ain't got the skills cause you will get disapointed. my advice is go for an artistic studie and learn how to create things properly

15. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

O, I'm still in college. I'm 20 and I live in albany, georgia. When I was talking about an audition I meant at least after I graduate in '09 and you? You sound really experienced already? have you already tried an audition?

16. Dark Spirit Chicken!

hold your horses ZeroBelow.

if you're planning to apply for 2-d animation similar to one piece or naruto. i suggest you practice drawing! BIG TIME.

i already took a test (most likely i'll fail, i think :cry ) i already gave you tips on what to practice.

if your starting as an animator, you'll probably be assigned to rough sketching?, clean-ups, etc. to in-betweening.

i'm not familiar with being assigned to coloring and animating since i'm a complete idiot on photoshop.

having a background on the programs used is a bonus, but learn the basics first.

17. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

I wasn't planning to apply now. I was planning to audition in 2-3 years. This is just practice of sketches, nothign serious. I get your concerns. My drawing is that terrible it just needs some anatomy tuning, thats all.

18. Dark Spirit Chicken!

you should have said so in the first place... and sorry about that. anyway, you can even apply in a year if you practice a lot.

and no, you're drawings are not terrible. :wink

19. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

I guess i should've been more clear about when I planned to audition

20. Skoemie Sandaime Skoemie

there is a handy new thing calld the internet... here you can get information about animation practice, show people and get comments about what they think about it... also try asking a profesional or a teacher for the rigth comments... if you animate don't only do people but also educational things like how a machine works (is kinda boring but there is a lot of work in it)

21. Taellon Dragonborn

cool scetches... i think your good so far