1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Characters that did not fulfil your expectations

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Marknbrut, May 30, 2007.

1. Marknbrut

This is my second thread on the Narutofan-forum - go easy on me.

This discussion will focus on one thing - is anyone feeling as if their favourite character is just not living up to your expectations?

I am a really hardcore Uzumaki Naruto fan - and it is only because of him that I am actually still carrying on with this series.
    The first thing that drew me to the character is the fact that he is really bright, both in appearence and personality. Cheerful people have a tendercy of being my favourite characters, because to tell you the truth, I watch shows to entertain me and make me happy, if I wanted to feel moppy I could just watch the news!
    The other thing that drew me to Uzumaki Naruto is his determination. Only few people in real life have that ability. Determination to me, is the fact that with all the obstacles in life, you carry on, your way, and get to that goal you set for yourself. Naruto has his 'nindo' and his 'never give up' attitude which he is resilient to in Part 1 - he refuses to lose and be brused aside.

However, since Part 2, especially after the return from the failed Grass country mission - Naruto has been a bit on the gloomy side. He is getting easily emotional, for example, when Sasuke leaves with Orochimaru after kicking the Konoha team about - Naruto falls on his knees and cries. As a Naruto fan, I invest a lot of emotion into the character and the fact that he is so easily broken is a total contradiction to everything he is - everything I invested in. When he comes back to Konoha, again he is moping about.
    WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?
    Uzumaki Naruto is no longer the character I knew and he is losing himself and becoming someome that is way below any expectation I ever had for him.
    Sure, he grew up, but he lost that spark - when I watch his character now, I don't smile anymore, I cannot really relate to him anymore, and because of that I am starting to lose interest in him.

I really hope that soon Kishimoto will bring back some trace of the old Naruto back. It is silly, but just because you grow up does not mean you lose all hope and become an emo or something. I hope to see the bubbly, cheerful and determined character that was Naruto.

So, how about you, does any character you have invested in become below your expectations?

Tags:
  2. Mugiwara no Luffy

I kinda hoped Orochimaru would have put up more of a fight against Sasuke. I always thought of him as the biggest of the baddies :cry

3. Tmb04

I have to agree. I always imagined Orochimaru being the Final "Bad Guy" and Survive longer than any other Akatsuki

4. Coyote

5. Shamandalie

I completely agree with the OP. Part2!Naruto annoys the hell out of me, and this is one of the biggest reasons why I don't enjoy part 2.

And I can't come to any conclusion but that he is like that because Sasuke isn't there to complete him

Anyway, I think Shikamaru is kinda messed up in part 2, too. The only character whom part 2 made look better is Sakura. And yeah, the whole Akatsuki seems like a bunch of weaklings. I can't even consider them a treat now, and this is sad.

6. Marknbrut

Just to make things clear, it is not because of his ninja skills that Naruto became less interesting to me, but really it is his personality.
    Naruto is supposed to be a chipper person, someone who brings light and laugther to wherever he goes. Now, he hardly smiles, he either has a frown or a pensive look on his face, and the truth is that is annoying.

Damn Kishimoto, he took a perfect speciman and turned him into something broken - and that is sad in itself.

7. Jashin-sama

All the Akatsuki members have disappointed me so far , for the most evil organisation ing the Narutoverse , you can't really be considered much of a threat if they send Chunnin after you

8. Micah

Orochimaru didn't live up to my evil bad guy expectations. He even got a sappy flashback, ugh. I still have a little hope for him though. It's possible for him to make a reappearance.

9. tensu_bloodline

he's just grown up, if you don't like that, just too bad!

10. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    The character that has not filled my expectations is Uzumaki Naruto. I don't feel like listing all the reasons at the moment though.

After that is probably the Akatsuki. Kishimoto basically crapped all over them and ruined other things in the process.

11. gabzilla

Shikamaru
    Ino (is not her fault)
    Spoiler:
    Orochimaru
    Sasori
    Yugito (is not her fault)
    Hidan
    Kakuzu

In that order.

Agreed.

He also lost one of the things that made him special.

He used to be unpredictable.

12. Yellow

Itachi. I thought he was a bad ass killer but we haven't seen him kill anyone yet.

Oro. He got pwned so easily. Oro better make a come back.

13. docterjoy

What they said about Oro. Also the Sound 5, there was a lack of development in their characters. Wow, I'm sounding like Yashagoro :amuse

Also, Naruto is less annoying now because he's matured. Don't expect him to act like the good ol' days, and maybe even a little angsty.

14. shadowy_blue

Very much agreed. Uzumaki Naruto was also my absolute favorite character, due to exactly the same reasons you've mentioned. I even wrote a whole essay about him as well (the one in my sig) , stating all the reasons why I felt that he was one, if not the best main character in anything I've read. But I agree that the Part 2 Naruto is really starting to disappoint. I've been patient about it, hoping that he will get better and be more happy and bubbly in the next arc, and the next and the next...but he just doesn't. I feel the same way when I watch the Part 2 anime now, especially whenever there's any flashback of the 12-year-old Naruto. It just really hammers the point even harder. Damn, I miss him.

15. Crystal Renee

I honestly, was upset with Ino's character. I would have expected her to participate more than she has been in the manga.

16. Yakushi Kabuto

Argh, lack of development in Sound 4 (Not including Kimimaro, I actually thought he was very well designed, his view of the world and his interactions with others were put together extraordinarily well for a character who only lasted less than 20 chapters), Kakuzu, Hidan, and so on.

Shino's Girl caught me on my fixation with charaterization.

17. Konoha.Green.Beast.

Same as Yashagoro, SOund 4 were miss developed, they had a great potential.

and considering even Zaku Abumi got a Flashback, Why didn't a mayor treat like sound 4 (not kimimaro) got one?

And what the hell was going on in Akatsuki?

Spoiler:
    I didn't wasn't surprised of Hidan lasting to short, he is a pedant, overpowered guy, tough I liked him.

But Sasori got his crap beaten, being an assasin villian.

Hope Tobi, Kisame and Zetzu don't die in a crappy way.

18. halfhearted

The only thing that I can honestly complain about right now, concerning expectations, are the Sound 4. Specifically, because as others have mentioned, they did not get the quick development that other supporting villains have gotten.

They just had such great character designs that weren't used/explored fully enough.

The others, I wait for the end of the manga before making judgements.

Spoiler:
    However, if Oro isn't given more time, Kabuto and his f'd up self aren't explained, and Team Hebi (Kimmimaro and Juugo's interaction is interesting) gets as little screentime as say...Ten-ten, then I will say that my expectations weren't met.

Although I can agree with the Op. I miss the obnoxious ball of energy that was 12-13 year old Naruto. His behavior might just be becasue he is growing up, but there is still some intrinisic quality of the kid that seems lacking.

19. leetlegit

Ten Ten I hoped that, even for that tiny bit in part two, that we see her do something amazing. She did the same old stuff only bigger.

20. Jyunin_Kyuubigrl

Basically all of the kunoichi, pre and post time skip, I'm disappointed just bc I was expecting a kunoichi(anyone) who was the equal in skill of her male counter parts and I feel like K.M. hinted that she could be and then disappointed by not fufilling that. The only hope left for a strong female character is the B.H. akatsuki.

21. drache

What I think your missing though is Naruto and the rest of the original characters were childern and now they are growing up. Which means you'll see some emo (I've yet to see a teen not be at least a little emo) just becuase he's growing up not to mention all the other stuff that's happening in his life.

To be honest if part 2 was exactly like part 1 I'd be annonyed, I want to see the characters grow, develop even change as they go though life.

mange spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Sasuke kicked Oro when he was down. So to me it's not such a big deal that Sasuke was able to beat him. No matter how bad ass you are, the deck can be stacked against you so badly that you have no chance.

22. Ash

I thought Hidan was gonna be WAY more awesome and serious, like some smooth , slick business man type who sometimes had a bad temper. Or like Kakuzu. Damn, he was a joke :cry (IMO)

23. fennixfire

TenTen doesn't get the respect she deserves mainly because she doesn't get any screen time. I've always liked her, I think she's great. I was just really disappointed.

24. bloodstains

he just is shit. he ;eft for 2.5 years and came back with 1 new tecnique which is really just an advancement of the rasengan. and the 3 tails that he can control. he can't even just make a rasengan by himself he still needs a clone. i mean how useless is that. and he is slow and has only kage buusin to make up for that. he can't eevn fight with style (i mean lee and sasuke own in the taijutsu department.) where as naruto is a i punch you in the face.

GAAAASHHASGSDFLSDMFSD:MFSD! he sucks poopie.

well at least he's way better than sasuke god i hate that plick!

26. Double Arts Sui

I remember a little happy kid with a monkey tail. A little cyborg thrown on a scrapyard, revived, with a sweet smile. A smiling samurai with an X on his cheek.
    And all of them were gone.
    The kid turned into an angry fighting warrior. The cyborg, into a fierce war machine. The samurai was revealed to be a killer.
    If you want happy characters, watch children's anime. Not shounen, which is about maturing.

That said,
    Spoiler:
    Postskip Lee puzzles me a bit. Puzzles, not dissappoints me. I still remember how 16-year old boys used to be personality-wise, and Lee is still much of his thirteen-ish self. Team work he always stuck to, so that's not new. He simply shows no signs of 'rebellious youth' or new traits in his personality. Which I love... albeit now it's a bit incongruent. I like him that way, but I am aware it's not normal for him, personality-wise, to remain the same Rock Lee we met way back in the series. Especially when you see that almost everybody has changed around him.
    But that doesn't dissappoint me. Just puzzles me, and leads me to think his change, if it finally arrives, will come in a very traumatic way.

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  27. Circe

I saw many great things for each of them. They get neither screentime nor resolution.

28. orange-kun

so true, they should have had more than the fights we have seen

29. Powdered Toast Man

EVERY single villain in part 2 has been utter fecal matter, Orochimaru takes the cake that was terrible. Side characters receiving NO development and just popping up to say "lol cameo"(save Shikamaru- he's been eatin his wheaties). In the manga right now Suigetsu is the only thing with an inkling of potential. Also the attempts at humor are offensive.

30. tricia868

DON'T TRAUMATIZE LEE!!!!!!!!!! I'll be so sad if that happens.