1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Civil Unions v Marriage

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Botzu, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Botzu

How come we cant just change civil unions so that they give the exact same benefits as marriage? When i think about it its really the name marriage that brings up all the conflict not the idea of what it is. When i say this i mean I surveyed a couple dozen people and none of them were against civil unions for gay couples but around half were against marriage. Why have i never heard about changing civil unions and only about changing marriage?
    If civil unions are changed and given the same benefits as marriage and civil unions are allowed for gay couples would their still be a problem?

Tags:
  2. That NOS Guy

3. Seelas

What they should really do is outlaw marriage as a governmental institution, offer equal civil unions for both heterosexuals and homosexuals alike, and then allow the churches to decide whether they want to recognize any given union as "marriage" in the religious sense.

4. EvilMoogle Supporting Staff

Pretty much as said above. The government could stop recognizing marriage altogether and start using a different term for it, but certain factions within the population would never allow it to happen.

Not to mention the legal mess that would happen trying to shift things over.

5. Firedraconian

Heck, they change the name for the war about every other week, changing the term for marriage shouldn't be overly difficult.

Just start calling it a civil union in the paperwork. No one reads it anyway. Don't even announce it, just change the name. Then announce homosexuals won't get marriage - they'll give civil unions. Which will just happen to what heterosexuals are getting.

6. kelleh

A "civil union" is essentially the definition of marriage, despite what religious people will try to tell you. Marriage predates religion, especially as conceived today. And, government being secular as it is, there's no reason religion should even get involved while we try to preserve the "sanctity" (a fantastic joke) of marriage.

A lot of civil union legislation actually does pretty much entail everything a marriage does. The only thing in the way is people not wanting to CALL it marriage. There's honestly no reason not to. It keeps everyone who's becoming legally, romantically, and sometimes spirtually "bonded" on the level.

It's funny to note that while nobody seems to mind gays and lesbians having the marital rights that married couples do, they only seem to mind that, in order to get those rights, they want to get married. Sounds mostly like people are getting their panties in a holy twist.