1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Clover Studios (makers of Viewtiful Joe and Okami) dissolved. IGN blames Chris Roper.

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by pajamas, Oct 12, 2006.

1. pajamas Banned

The developers of the "Zelda Killer" Okami, as well as the Viewtiful Joe series is going to be disbanded. Why?

Depressing, ain't it? IGN has such power!

Tags:
  2. ZE E?E

Make the game to the game cube I say, that way the score would raise at least to a 6, the ps2 has too many games and competition.

3. AFreak2005 Banned

I've always disliked IGN and that means no more Okami? Shit, now where will we get Zelda killers?

4. ZE E?E

What zelda killer shit is this? Its like saying Mario Tennis is the Final Fantasy killer.
    I don’t know what kind of game Okami is nor do I want to find out but obvious that game doesn’t have the capacity of being the killer of a game with such a huge fanbase like Zelda has, the same happened with killzone (shit).

5. AFreak2005 Banned

Then try out Okami. It is at least leaps and bounds above Wind Waker, that much is certain.

6. K-deps Always Sunny

WHY CHRIS ROPER WHY!!???

its kind of weird that IGN gave it a 3 and gamespot gave it an 8

im sad to see clover studios "dissolve"

7. D?j? Vu ಠ_ಠ

I hope God Hand is good I was looking foward to buying that.. :notrust

8. MS81 Supreme Jounin

clover has nobody to blame but themselves for making everything for ps2 they know damn well that was a next-gen style game and what other console they could've put it on "360" I say.The ps2 has way too many games of this genre as it is and they don't need no more at least they could have waited for another year to put on PS3.:notrust

9. crazymtf The Owner of The Whity Show

God's hand is not even bad...wtf...

10. competitionbros So True Naruto, So True

ign's just too powerful for it's on good, soon game compaines will be payin them off for good reviews, smh

11. GSurge Brilliant Punk

Soon? You're implying they don't already?

12. NeoDMC Shell-Head

God Hand isn't even that bad...I mean, they have given higher scores to worse games.

13. pajamas Banned

I think the bad score was given because of the hype it generated so they expected a lot more.

Or because it was from the makers of Okami it was a huge disappointment.

But yeah, no one except for Mark Ryan at IGN liked it. And yeah, IGN is quite an important part of the gaming world, I don't think anyone can disagree with that point.

14. NeoDMC Shell-Head

Okami wasn't a HUGE dissappointment...did about as good as I thought it would (10X better than what I thought when I first saw it). Take out the battle system they had (those arenas sucked) and don't have everyone tell you everything to do by the letter (puzzles basically involved simply finding people who told you what to do...lame) and it would have been perfect and not just 1.5X better than Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

Actually now that I think about Clover dissolving over this, I think it is pretty skeet, and shady. I mean IGN is known for their somewhat "exaggerated" reviews...I mean just go look for the rating on GTA: SA

Clover was probably, itching for it or something. I mean I'm not like savy to how insider stuff goes, but for them to go this far after just one review from IGN of all people...

15. Astronaut Blaidd Drwg

I hope they get reabsorded by Capcom or something.
    This is sad news.

16. Donkey Show Bukkage

LOL XD

I doubt one person's comments on the other side of the world made them break up. Maybe Famitsu had a bukkake party at Clover's offices after they released the game and it tore Clover apart. XD But after looking at reviews and watching videos for the japanese version of the game, it did seem rather bleak and semi-uninspiring after what it could have been, but a 3 was kinda low (NBA Live 07 should have that rating). Oh well, to bigger and better things ex-Clover Studios!

17. NeoDMC Shell-Head

If capcom doesn't pick them back up then they should go to Sucker Punch. Cell-shaders stick together!

18. Haohmaru The Legendary Samurai

I would believe your story over the one that posted in the first post. Just because a fool at IGN gave Godhand a low score Clover is gonna dissolve :S. That's dumbest thing I've ever read.

19. Megadoomer Member

There goes the chances for Viewtiful Joe 3...

20. Donkey Show Bukkage

LOL, I doubt half the team committed seppuku after they read the review. I doubt they even care about IGN, tbh. XD

21. AFreak2005 Banned

QFT! Sucker Punch makes some of the best platformers ever. I cannot wait to see their next-gen PS3 outing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  22. pajamas Banned

I doubt that. IGN is probably the most well-known and popular gaming website. Every publisher has good friendships with IGN, and I'm positive they care what IGN thinks about their games (Matt Cassamasina says that if there's not 480p in Wii games he's gonna mark them heavily come review time, and that actually caused 480p support to go up).

What IGN says has quite a bit of weight. They have literally millions of loyal fans, who hang on their editors' every word. Who knows, maybe IGN's review did make Capcom think it was time for a change. We probably won't find out. But saying that devs don't care what IGN says about their games is a bit far-fetched.

23. Donkey Show Bukkage

But thinking that a Japanese development team split because of what one guy said on IGN is really farfetched as well. You're thinking too much into it and taking one man's sarcastic blog out of proportion. The game has been out in Japan already and hasn't garnered the best reviews and for all we know, they split due to many, many reasons like Godzilla, bukkake party gone wrong, or seppuku. IGN is not one of them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  24. pajamas Banned

I don't think it was IGN's fault. Though I don't think it would be completely farfetched to say they had a small part in it. Bad reviews for a game, especially from a name as important to the gaming world as IGN, is never good. So maybe Capcom was planning on it, but after seeing that 3 decided that was the final nail in the coffin.

But I don't think that it was IGN's fault that Clover is gone. I posted it because I thought the blog was funny. =P

25. crazymtf The Owner of The Whity Show

Gamespot was known before IGN, didn't it come out first, plus connected to gamefaqs...both sites review, never trust them though, go with what you want :)

26. Donkey Show Bukkage

Clover was pretty much deemed unprofitable as a separate entity making video games for Capcom, so Capcom basically said, "Time to get assimilated." Basic jist of the dissolvement.

Although I'd like to believe it was because of Godzilla somehow.

27. Nexas Fire and Ice

Guess Clover didn't send any of their profits IGN's way huh :wink

28. D?j? Vu ಠ_ಠ

I honestly don't think they "dissolved" just because of one guys review. That's ridiculous. God Hand didn't get any other bad reviews lol

29. NeoDMC Shell-Head

All I know is, Chris Roper is going to get his ass beat...Come on guys lets jump him, highschool style. You know you want to :nod , even if you don't care you just need to blindly beat someones ass sometimes you know?

30. Goofy Titan Oh oh oh

It was a brawler inspired by the brawling ages of the 90's. Of course, IGN is useally retarded as hell with some reviews, and thats looks like the case with this.