1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coerce Listening; Rate The Song Above You

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by mow, Dec 9, 2005.

1. mow

On this thread, everyone who post, reccomend a song. The person below you, has to LISTEN to that song, give his/her thoughs on it, and rate. then he/she reccomnd another song, and the person after them must listen to it in a similar fashion.

So the rules:

The POSTER

1. Any song, no limits in regards to length, genre etc.
    2. You can only post ONCE every 3 posts
    3. When you reccomend a song, make sure you already have it uploaded for the person under you to get it. BUT NO LINKS ON THE FORUM ITSELF, unless its free to d/l from the artist's website ( I know, that's gettting annoying)//moe
    4. As you reccomend a song, give a very brief indepth descritption of it's genre and similiar arists who share that sound. (so that if the person enjoyed it, they can explore those said musicians)

THE LISTENER

1. Call the spot for the song. That is, when you want to C&C a certain song you want to hear, simply say "save spot". Then edit or double post (dont worry, I'll clean up all the double posts.
    2. PM the person who nominateed the song via PM for the song.
    3. After you listen to the song, give your critique
    4. Dont shut your mind. By that I mean honestly listen and give a decent C&C of the song. Even if it came from a band you simply HATE, try to be objectional and unbiased. For example, if someon reccomends a LP song, dont say that it sounds like their other songs. Evaluate the song by itself, disregading other aspects.

Please, no one line comments such as "it rocks" or "it sucks!" Falliure to do the above means I delte post! OMG MOD POWER ABUSE :OMG! PH34R :omg :omg!

Tags:
  2. mow

Sufjan Stevens - Sister

If it doesnt work, check the website , to your right hand corner. Free for d/l.

Banjo driven folk rock. Quite lo fi yet has some electronic guitar in it.
    Similar artists:- Iron & Wine, Sun Kil Moon, Red Moon Painters

3. The Fireball Kid

I thought it was very... how should I say.. surreal. Never the less, I found it amusing, but It was to long in my taste. 5/10.

C30, C60, C90, Go - Bow Wow Wow

*pokepoke nudgenudge*

3. When you reccomend a song, make sure yuo already have it uploaded for the person under you to get it. BUT NO LINKS ON THE FORUM ITSELF, unless its free to d/l from the artist's website ( I know, that's gettting annoying)//moe

4. mow

Wow, the intro is great, the tribal sounding drums work perfectly with the vocalists voice. The lyrics are very silly and humouors

A big bang boogie and baga rooga,
    my cassette is just like bazooka
    A blinga a blagan anbig and blipitty bump!
    Well I went down to the record shop

Then a really cool guitar riff starts jamming along, with this almost bass sounding distoration playing along. An so forth

Really fun song. A real punkish party track. I like it alot.

8.5/10
    =========================================================

Next Song:-

Broken Social Scene - Windsurfing Nation

Dreamy pop meets a little bit of post rock
    Similar Artists : Animal Collective, TV On The Radio and Stars

Call dibs and pm for the song

5. Erkekjetter

EDIT: It's a really upbeat song. Fast paced, I kind of had to start tapping my foot. I liked it.

8/10

========================================================
    -Next Song:
    Sun I Call by Solefald
    Post black metal goodness
    Similair artists....I've honestly got no idea. :p

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  6. Efraim Longstocking

Review: I knew this song from before and It's my absolute favorite from Red For Fire. I begin to headbang in slow motion. The song is unbelievably catchy and the melody simply doesn't get boring! The multi layered vocals makes my day. Then comes the breakdown towards the end. This has been one of my fav songs recently.

10/10

Coheed and Cambria - The Willing Well I - Fuel for the Feeding End from Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV

Great progressive emo-punk ?? It's brilliant, but I can't give you any good similar artist.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  7. Catatonik

Hit me Simp. ;)

Edit: The guitars are uninspired and repetitive and the vocals got annoying by the second minute, which is when I realized I have five more minutes to go. It's nothing I find intruiging, especially in the lyrics department, but I have heard worse. 5/10

My pimpage: Darkest of the Hillside Thickets - The Math Song

Darkest of the Hillside Thickets don't rally have similiar artists, they blend pop-punk, metal, D&D, sci-fi and HP Lovecraftian inspired lyrics with a biaarre sense of showmanship.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  8. Efraim Longstocking

Darkest of the Hillside Thickets - Math Song

A song about mathematics.. I think this is hilarious. The best part is the refrain:
    You've go a brain, and your boy really needs another love song

The only thing that I lack is the quality in the production. They kind of resemble the Barenaked Ladies but this band has a more punk/metal inspired style...

My rate: 7/10

Saosin - Seven Years
    Talented punk outfit fronted by Anthony Green.
    Genre: Emo? Screamo?
    Similar artists: Circa Survive, Some of Anthony's other projects...

9. Erkekjetter

EDIT: Hmmm, I really like the vocals. I'm a sucker for the emocore thing. The guitar work is pretty good. 9/10

=====================================================
    Next Song:
    The Cause of Death by Immortal Technique.
    Genre:Rap
    Similair Artists:Damnit, I'm really bad at this, I dunno.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  10. Catatonik

I just thought I'd add, Darkest of the Hillside Thickets are a group of D&D/horror geeks who did all their own recording for quite a few years, and were the first band to ever be INVITED by Gwar to tour with Gwar.

Sadly, they don't really perform much anymore as their main careers interfere..but they still play a live show every year in Vancouver on HP Lovecrafts birthday.

11. o0oEnderIlleso0o

I really struggled with which T.Rex song to pick. I literally sat for an hour switching between albums, tracks, and remixes trying to pick the perfect song. I eventually picked this song from the album by the same name. I argue that the Slider is his best work. Mystical folk-tinged ballads, overt sexual come-ons crooned over sleazy, bopping boogies, loopy nonsense poetry, and a mastery of the three-minute pop song form. This music is God.

Edit: see also David Bowie and Mott the Hoople.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  12. The Fireball Kid

Say Dibs if you want it pmed to you.

13. o0oEnderIlleso0o

Okay, so to get back on track, I will review your song X Punk and then I will repost my song about T.Rex. That should fix things. Man, we have to make everything much more complicated than it needs to be. So, for the sake of continuity...

DIBS.

Review-Not sure what to think of this songs. I had a hard time paying attention to the music because the song was mixed so poorly. Could have done without the first minute of what seems like inappropriate gay-bashing (I could be wrong on this note, but the "dramatized" conversation between two apparent didn't seem all too respectful).
    Besides the criticisms, I enjoyed the lead vocals. This also appeals to my nostalgic punk side. Feels like I should be in Boston getting wasted with scotch. 5/10
    Then again, my punk taste stops at Black Flag, so I am not the greatest judge of the subject. :)

My song- T.Rex-The Slider

See above for description. Please dib the song and I will PM it to you asap.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  14. Catatonik

T-Rex - The Slider: I don't know if I would ever attempt tp describe this song, but I can say is it did it for me. VERY much. I want more. 10/10

Immediately.

>.<

Song: Communic - History Reversed

Elaborate and flowing prog infused thrash/death metal. With soaring and intense guitar solos, brilliant lyrics and vocals.

Who they are like: Moments of both Nevermore and Pink Floyd show up with periodic brilliance.

15. The Fireball Kid

Okay, I though that Communic song... was horrible. I thought the vocals were bad, and the guitar riffs were just too... complex for me. I hate progressive. 3/10.

Okay, My next song is called Standin' on The Verge[Live] by Jodie Fosters Army. Says dibs if you want it.

16. Efraim Longstocking

Time to revive this, sorry for taking your spot Simp

Sonic Youth - The Dripping Dream

Indie/alt, , noise rock, experimentalpost-punk

pm for the song

18. Catatonik

I think I got something funky coming after this.

Edit: Okay, I have heard a lot about Sonic Youth over the years, and enjoyed most of what I have heard. This is no exception. Although the vocals gave me pause a few times, the flow is pretty cool and the song is very catchy, I imagine it's going to be stuck in my head for a while now.

Over all, 7/10 Thanks moe.

My offering:

Kekal - The Way of Thinking Beyond Comprehension
    Avant-garde/expiremental Black Metal hailing from Indonesia and looking to Sigh, Solefald and early Arcturus for inspiration, while taking on a unique path and trying new angles.

Sounds like: Umm...early Sigh, early Arcturus, early-ish Solefald...maybe.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  19. Efraim Longstocking

I call dibs on whatever SimpatiK got up his sleeve, and will you guys get a move on?

21. Efraim Longstocking

Great avant-garde metal in the likes of Sigh and Arcturus.. And not lacking beside those bands! Awsome tightness. There is a repeated part that sound fucking inhuman. The song is long but does not get repetive as it changes good. This is fucking extreme!

10/10

You'll have to dl the whole album as I am upping it :3

EDIT Forget it... I'll just upload the song for now

22. less

Gregorian monks interrupted by guitars. Drums start up fade out. Ambient woozing tune fades in, guy on serious drugs tells me I know nothing and that I should trust "us", whoever that might be. The tune turn intense, stops. Indian sounding flute plays as madman tells me that "in the beginning there was chaos". Sound effects from Age of Empires now, dijeridoo as well. Piano and talking in tounges follow. And now it's metal. Angelic tunes takes over, WTF is this? I breathe in and out as per the guys instructions. His insistance upon "in and out" sounds more and more like fucking. Metal again. Drummer having a seizure, and zynths fade in, metal fades out. Oh no, he says the "the sessions comes to a close"! He tells me to grab a pen and write down the first five things that comes to mind that makes me smile.
    1. Lagavulin Single Islay Malt
    2. This quote from my msn with Cata: "AMVs are like prison rape, it's almost always painful, but once in a blue it can be surprisingly unvicious"
    3. William Shatners "Has Been"
    4. The thought that I will be throwing Tindersticks uploads at this hapless forum for days to come.
    5. A rep I got from martryn once simply saying "Thanks for not being a retard."

Aww. The tune ended while I was writing my list. Even more depressing, four out of those five has to do with NF, the fifth having to do with alcohol:(

Anyway, that song was a helluva ride! I wanna go again!

In an unprecedented display of lazyness, I propose a song that's already upped:
    Atomic's jazz cover of "Pyramid Song". Any takers?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  23. mow

I got dibs on that lil baby. Im listening to it as we speak.
    ==========================================================

Well, Pyrimad Song is probabily my most fav Radiohead track. And I'm always timid when it comes to band's covering radiohead, specially when they make an instrumential cover; after all, Thom Yorke voice is the prime reason I adore RH.

The song starts with a fantastic horn replacing the piano alongside a very faint and terrific bassline (soft bass in the BG = the win). So far, so good.

Then comes the kicker; a fantastic alt. version piano that is even better than Thom's. It really helps the track float. (ohh, if you like this piano work less, remind me to upload Esbjorn Svensson Trio for you, you'll dig them alot). So Far, very good.

Now the part that really sold the song completely for me; the Miles Dacis-esque trumept that replaces Thom's vocals, and its oh-so-wonderful! That mixed with the gentle percussion work teaming up with the full instrumentation makes for a delightful lil number.

The concept of an acid jazz cover never crossed my mind before, but this is a greeat track, and a cover theat's even better than the original

10/10

24. mow

The Dead Texan - The 6 million Dollar Sandwich

Pretty ambience (not a genre, but it really fits XD)

upping it right now

25. Erkekjetter

Okay, I'm rating the 6 Million Dollar Sandwich, got it.

26. mow

I hope you guys wont mind, but I'll periodaclly delete non-review posts to make the thread more organzied everyonce and a while.

27. Catatonik

okay, since Erk just logged offline, who wants to take the song?

The Dead Texan - The 6 Million Dollar Sandwich

29. Catatonik

It's deep, smooth, even oft-times dark. It makes EXCELLENT background noise, and then the pianos kick in and bring it to the foreground.

Very strong, but a little stretched out feeling near the end. 8/10

My track:

Punky Brewster - Fake Punk

Pop-punk parody through the eyes of Devin Townsend.

30. o0oEnderIlleso0o

Please tell me these guys tour with the Supersuckers or the Legendary Shackshakers! I don't so much care for the way the song was written, but I love the parody style and the lyrics are hilariously spot on. Plus, ANY band that is on the same compilation as Eyehategod and Emperor HAS to be good!

8/10 suckas.

My Track-

Gregor Samsa-Young & Old

This song begs for a full attention head-phone listen. Will appeal to the Sigur Ros, Rachel's etc. crowd. This song can be found on their recent LP vinyl split with the Red Sparrowes (which is already out of print).