1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Coffee and Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by mow, Nov 3, 2005.

1. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

I must point out one thing in advance. This movie is a love/hate relationship. Either you will proclaim it as the most ingenius flick since the dawn of cinema, or you think it will suck more than Britney dueting with Madonna; there's no inbetween.

So here's the basic plot line:-

People meet, talk about utter nonsense over a cup of java while puffing butts.

That's pretty much it really.

Hold up, did I mention that Iggy pop is there? Along with Tom Waits? The White Strokes (dotn run, their scene is PRICLESS) Bill Murray, Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan plus many many more.

The movie was shot over a number of years with all the above names and eccetirc actors. The project started with Jim Jarmusch when he shot the first scene with Roberto Benigni and Steven Wright, a very VERY odd pair.The black and white collection of clips seem disoritanted and obscure, which they are, but even the dull moments do find themselves to be oddly touching; the fasicinating manner in which all this frenzy of indiviuals gather about with shaky fingers holding up their cups toasting each other while inhaling cigs as if it was their life line (the ending scene with Mr. Mead comes to mind). granted parts of the movie can be a snooze if your not in the mood (this is stoner movie, I have no other way to describe it other than that) there' are some real treats for the spectator; Iggy pop and Tom waits meeting ina old coffee bar and getting to know each other on the wrong foot, an insianly hilarious encounter by Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan, Bill Murray unable to concieve or one underwritten piece, Two twins discussing Elvis and african american musician opperssion with a waiter ina diner and Jack and Meg White bantering about Tiesta Coli.

So maybe the movie is too bland for your taste, but it's in all honesty spectacular. Jarmusch talent in capturing cens is quite unparalled. The philospically pointless and excptionally awkward dialouge bewteen all the colourful character is reminisnt of Seinfield before Seinfield occured. All the skits and scene are quite inchoherent, but the magical tie between them all is the coffe mugs and lighted cigs. The manner in which they act as connecting factore between everyone is dazzling to say the least, a rare oppurtinty whewre human connection is brought down to it's most simplest elements regardless of time. The under tones hints of the characters attempting to remain alwert, avoiding any social anxiety, yet remain so very aprehensive of each other is divine. Instead, the two social drugs (cigs and mugs) are now exhibited as the only factor they could bind us and successful form a bridge of communication between them, and it's absolutly beautiful.

Tags:
  2. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

This sounds like a really strange film, I definitly must check it out. You got me at the Iggy Pop part.

3. metronomy Active Member

I need to see this film.

I'm about to watch Pirates of the Caribbean, YEAY.

4. TheChoji Banned

I see your alive.

From what I've read the movie is great, has some style unlike a lot of films today, and is independent. This is my type of film. As long as it doesn't have any gay kissing scenes that the Sundance channel seems to support, I have to see this.

5. acidzerox On a mission from God...

I own this movie and it's really good. "That shit'll make you delirious Bill Murry" That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Love the movie, love the way it all went together but was a seperate story.

6. kapsi Banned

I enjoyed that movie as well.

7. martryn Dick in hand

I saw it about a year and a half ago. A nice time killer. Not wonderful, but I'd watch it again sometime if I were bored.

8. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

It really sounds like a type of movie I could get into. I dunno I've always been a fan of creative/obscure movies....not like those like weird college made movies, but you know like...actually I don't know of an example to think up :S

9. Meijin Smile

The Bill Murray, GZA, and RZA scene is the greatest thing to be caught on film.

10. blueradio You got a star!

sounds good.
    I see a visit to Hollywood Video in my future perhaps.

11. Uncle Lunchwagon gene pool style

I've seen this. They have it at my library. Tom Waits, Iggy pop, Bill Murray, Jack White.....what more do you need?

12. delirium thyme

This movie is pretty damn cool. I haven't seen it in a while.. It's somewhere in my room. For the reminder I think I'll go ahead and re watch it.

The only reason I bought it at first was because the RZA & GZA were in it (which turned out to be a REALLY good scene). But the whole movie turned out to be odd and wierd.. and a really good watch.