1. Konoha Library has been renamed to New Leaf. Konoha TV will soon be (or has been) archived. For Naruto/Boruto manga AND ANIME discussion, go to

New Leaf
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Give your waifu the ultimate gift - being crowned the most popular waifu on NF by helping her win in Senjou’s “NF Waifu Popularity Contest”

Feeling extra confident? You can now bet on your Waifu as well for fun forum prizes here

Come on with everything your waifu does for, you should do this for your waifu.
  4. Avatar upgrade for members!
    All normal members can now have 175x250 avatars.
    Read more about it here.
  5. "Are you a Messi or Ronaldo fanboy? Come and nominate them and more of your favourite players in NF's UEFA Champions League Awards!

If your nominees win, you could win points for cool forum prizes!

Click here to play :) .
  6. Our latest NF Newsletter is out (November), read it here!
  7. It's that time of the year when everyone spreads good and magic things, to enter in the Christmas Spirit full of art HVoA invites you to

✵ Join the NF Christmas Extravaganza ✵

Computer parts/building computers/pc stuff - Part 2

Discussion in 'Tech Hub' started by Reznor, Mar 4, 2016.

1. DemonDragonJ I've Just Seen a Face

I am very interested to learn how the new CPU works for you, because I will likely use that line for when I build my next computer, whenever that may be.

Also, on that subject, AMD's previous series of CPU's had base operating frequencies as high a 4 gigahertz or even 5 gigahertz for certain models, but their new Ryzen series has base operating frequencies only as high as 3.6 gigahertz; why is that? Is operating frequency no longer the most important measurement for a CPU's processing power?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. blakstealth Club Bangerz

I honestly couldn't tell you why. I only recently got into this whole PC shebang. I'm still excited, though. I helped build my bro's gaming PC a few months ago, so it's my turn to treat myself.

3. Synthetickiller My engine is with you.

What memory are you using? There's been a ton of bios support / updates across the board to support faster memory. 3000mhz looks like the sweet spot.

I'm still holding out for threadripper. I want to see how a 1700 comapres to a 10/12 core and if, in any way, is there any IPC performance increase. The 7700k still holds the crown for IPC, but it's not enough to justify moving to another 4c/8t build from a 4790k.

They never have.
    Go back to Athlon vs Pentium 3 and beyond. Amd always had higher clocks to combat poorer IPC. That's why AMD is throwing more cores at intel & winning. Core vs core is not AMDs strong suit, not that ryzen's architecture is bad, but it's behind intel's current lot. It's just that Intel sat on minor speed bumps ever 18 months vs pushing the envelope. If intel had made a push for 6 cores and then 8 cores on gaming class hardware and not just pro-sumer hardware, AMD's attempt would be met with a lackluster fanfare.

Look at all CPUs... in general, you can go back years & years to see that clocks are not really much higher. Again, incremental speed bumps. Intel was sandbagging. Make a 100 to 200 mhz speed bump and in 4 years, you're sitting at 400 to 600 mhz faster. The 2600k was 3.4ghz. My 4770k was 3.5ghz, with the 4790k being 4ghz (same architecture, intel sandbagged the cpu). i7 7700k is "only 4.2ghz" out of the box and OC's to 5ghz. My 2600k did 5ghz.

Now look at this article by gamers nexus: Link removed

Even with simliar clocks (400mhz spread is not a lot anymore), the 7700k is significantly faster than a 2600k... these are due to IPC improvements.

You'll see that the 1700/1700x/1800x is anywhere from 10 to 20 percent slower in games, even getting beaten out by my old 4790k in certain instances. If AMDs cpus were 4.5ghz instead of topping out at 3.9 to 4.1ghz, they'd beat Intel, core for core. Until that happens, it'll lag behind.

So speed matters, but IPC matters too. It all matters. You can't really separate the two. There's videos on youtube talking about high end cpus running at 1.2ghz & the results are nasty.

4. blakstealth Club Bangerz

I dunno if I wanna go 3000MHz or less (2666 or 2800HMz). It really depends on what's on sale for me on Newegg. I'm looking at the Corsair Vengeance line and noticing that that their 3000MHz 16gb (2x8GB) modules have gone one sale for under $100 in the past couple months, so I'll wait a bit longer to see if the same thing happens.

5. Synthetickiller My engine is with you.

Most boards support at least 3000mhz (there's outliers), but when I say that, I am talking about x370 based boards. B350, I have no clue as I didn't bother researching any of those boards. 2933 might be a good option, then bumping it to 3000mhz or tightening the timings.

Unlike Intel, faster ram creates significant gains... so much so that an i7 7700k build is about the same price as a ryzen build due to this... but it's always a trade off... superior IPC vs more cores... most will go for more cores, as 15fps gain on top of 100fps in most games won't matter to people unless they are running 144hz+ panels anyways.

6. blakstealth Club Bangerz

There shouldn't be much difference between the X370 and the B350 other than the B350 having less interfaces or PCI E slots yadda yadda yadda. According to my b350 motherboard's QVL, it supports up to 3200 MHz.

Worrying about whether the RAM modules are single rank or dual rank might be a factor, too.