1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Computers, Electronics, and Technology Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Apr 16, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

With the removal of the tech hub section, I wish to start a new thread for all discussions of computers and other electronics, given how prevalent such technology is in today's world.

Computers and electronics are very complex devices, so there is much about them that can break or malfunction; therefore, this thread is for users to seek assistance from others regarding any problems or issues that they may have with their electronic devices, or simply for general discussion of technology.

I welcome all posts in this thread, and hope for lively and productive discussions.

Tags:
  2. Island In the Sun

United States
    I'm thinking of building a new computer soon-ish. What specs are the cool kids running with these days?

3. The World KATTA

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. TrogdorMan Creator of cacophony

Germany
    I've been wanting to do a PC build for a long time. I'm currently using an 8+ year old laptop, so I should probably upgrade eventually. I've not looked into it recently, but I probably will here in a bit. Any recommendations for guides on this sort of thing?

5. Island In the Sun

United States
    The PC Master Race Subreddit is a decent starting point, which you can find . They underestimate the cost of things and are obviously just randos on the Internet, but for the most part, their builds are acceptable.

is a useful website too since it warns you of any compatibility issues and lets you check prices from various outlets.

is also a decent website. It gives you a complete build based on price range, but again, is just the advice of some randos online.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  6. John Wick I'd like a dinner reservation for twelve.

England
    I've gone back to windows with a new tablet/laptop combo from H&P the spectre

7. Mider T VM Rapist

Who was the mod of the old Tech Dept? I recall it being a female.

8. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

For what purposes will you be using your computers?

9. Island In the Sun

United States
    Gaming and general use.

10. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

Gaming computers are typically more powerful than general-use computers, but, if you wish for a machine that can do both, it is very important to have a processor that can easily multi-task, and AMD has recently released the of processors, which most users currently hold in very high regard. Quad-core processors are now standard, and are more than sufficient for simple word processing and internet browsing, but, for graphically-intense gaming, six- or eight-core processors are recommended.

Also of great importance is , which is not the same as storage; at this time, most computers have 8 gigabytes of memory, which, again, is suitable for basic tasks, but, for gaming, it may be better to have 16 gigabytes of memory.

Of course, one also needs a drive on which to store all their data, and while traditional are still very reliable and are very inexpensive, I believe that have decreased in price to the point that there is now no reason to not have one, as their benefits over hard drives are significant.

If one wishes to engage in intense gaming, then a is essential, but I cannot say much more than that until I know the price range in which you are operating.

Finally, a is needed to contain all the components, with adequate to ensure that the components do not overheat and, thus, can perform at optimum efficiency, but, again, I cannot say any more until I know how much money you are willing to spend.

Those are essential components, but there are a number of optional ones that may make one's experience more enjoyable. For example, one of my favorite parts to have is a , which is essentially the auditory equivalent of a video card. Some users may say that a sound card is not necessary, and they would be correct, but I have found that having one greatly enhances the quality of sound that a computer can produce, and, by extension, the quality of the overall experience.

What is your budget for your new computer? How much money are you willing to spend on it? After I know that, I can provide greater details for my recommendation.

• List
  11. Island In the Sun

United States
    The last one I built was ~$800. I'll drop ~$1,200 this time, plus or minus a couple hundred.

12. blakstealth Club Bangerz

glad you bumped up your budget. RAM and graphics card prices are all over the place.

You wanna go AMD or Intel? Or don't care which? You plan on doing 4k gaming?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  13. TrogdorMan Creator of cacophony

Germany
    I'd also be going for gaming and general use but I don't currently have $1000+. I was hoping to be able to put something fairly decent together for around $800. Preferably less, but I'll have to figure that out.

14. blakstealth Club Bangerz

Like I asked Island, what kinda gaming performance do you want? He did mention PC Part Picker, which is a nice place to organize and budget all of your parts. Users submit their own custom builds ranging from all price points, so that'a a plus as well to get some ideas.

15. Island In the Sun

United States
    I haven't kept up with AMD vs. Intel for awhile, so I don't have a preference.

I was thinking of jumping from 1080 to 1440.

16. blakstealth Club Bangerz

For 1440p gaming, the NVIDIA GTX 1070 should do you fine as your graphics card. An Intel i5 8600k (6 cores/6 threads at 3.6 GHz base clock) should do you fine if you really want to push your fps and if you ever want to overclock it. If you don't care for crazy ass fps and if the Intel turns out to exceed your budget on top of all the other components, I'd recommend the AMD Ryzen 1600 (6 cores/12 threads at 3.2 GHz base clock).

Anyone can correct me, but I think the fps gap between AMD and Intel CPUs gets closer as the resolution you game on gets higher. So at 1440p, Ryzen will do you fine.

• List
  17. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

@Island, I also would personally recommend that you include an optical drive in your computer, as they are currently very inexpensive; although optical discs are gradually losing their prevalence, they are not yet close to dying out completely, as have floppy disks, so it is better to have an optical drive and not need it than to need it and not have it.

What happened to SyntheticKiller? He was a very active member in the Tech Hub, but now, he seems to have vanished from this forum.

18. Island In the Sun

United States
    I have an optical drive, actually. Never used it though.

19. blakstealth Club Bangerz

yeah, it sucks that not a lot of new cases accommodate 5.25" bays anymore. Luckily, I was able to find a minimalist looking case that does still have them. Currently using a bequiet! pure base 600 with a window panel.

external optical drives are also a thing. I keep forgetting they exist

20. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

Yes, I can sympathize with you, there; I would like to use the for the next computer that I build, as it is a very awesome case, but it does not have space for an optical drive, so I cannot use it, which is very disappointing, as it is an amazing case, otherwise. I cannot believe that they stopped making the HAF XM case, which is very weird, considering that they still make the HAF X case.

21. blakstealth Club Bangerz

I'd like to build one with a small case in the next few years, but man. I thought they would be cheaper than mid size cases lol.

22. Island In the Sun

United States
    If anyone's curious, is the PC I'm currently using. I built it in 2015, and as you can see, it's starting to show its age.

You could always get an external optical drive.

23. blakstealth Club Bangerz

Do you plan on salvaging any of those parts toward the new PC?

24. Island In the Sun

United States
    Aside from the Wi-Fi adapter and maybe the optical drive, no.

I might keep the SSDs, but I'm leaning toward buying new ones. Most likely, I'll just sell the whole thing minus the Wi-Fi adapter.

25. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

Yes, I could, but I am less certain of the reliability of such a device, compared to an internal drive.

26. blakstealth Club Bangerz

28. blakstealth Club Bangerz

Spectrum Internet is now offering its gigabit (940mbps) speeds here in NY and other cities.

I'm personally more excited when the base 100mbps gets doubled to 200. Though, it hasn't happened just yet.

--

The prices are coming down slowly but surely.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  29. DemonDragonJ Then I Kissed Her

I recall that, during the 1990’s and the first decade of the 2000’s, computers advanced by great amounts very frequently, most notably in the realms of processor operating frequency and drive storage capacities, clear evidence of Moore’s Law in effect. Now, however, in the second decade of the 2000’s, advancements in electronics have been slower, with major breakthroughs occurring less frequently.

For example, after hard drives finally reached 1 gigabyte in size (wow, I can actually remember when 1 gigabyte was high capacity), which took several decades to occur, it took only several more years before drive capacities began to reach the terabyte level, but drives are currently nowhere close to reaching petabyte capacities yet. Similarly, after processors reached 1 gigahertz frequencies, it did not take long for them to reach 2 and 3 gigahertz, but frequencies have not increased very much beyond that. Some processors have frequencies of 4 gigahertz, but almost none have frequencies of 5 gigahertz, let alone double-digit frequencies.

Why is that? Are there limits to how much computer components can advance? What does everyone else say about this? Why have computers not been advancing as greatly, recently?

30. Atlantic Storm Booze Intermission Administrator