1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

Computers, Electronics, and Technology Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Island In the Sun

2. There are advances; it's just that our ability to mass-produce highly intricate machinery hasn't kept up with our ability to design them.

3. We're talking about a lot of transistors crammed into a tiny space. The 1080 has 1.8 billion transistors. There's only so many transistors we can fit into a space before we start running into problems; solving these problems is a unique challenge that's slowed down progress.

4. The future is likely in non-silicon materials, of which are still being explored.

5. Batteries. Since a lot of devices run on batteries, this one is worth mentioning: we can have way better laptops and phones than we currently do, but batteries advance incredibly slow. Subsequently, there isn't as much money being put into developing faster processes, just smaller and more energy-efficient ones.

2. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

I read somewhere that scientists are working on developing solid-state batteries, which, if fully realized, will be a major advancement in the world of energy storage.

3. Island In the Sun

IIRC, most research into solid-state batteries is for car batteries right now. Game-changing but unfortunately not something that'll pick up speed on phones and computers.

IMO, the game-changer will come when we have significantly better phone batteries. It'll push for faster, smaller processors and likely expedite wearable technology, etc.

Speaking of, going back to your last question, I think it's a mistake to assume we're not advancing as quickly. While we never reached Intel's ambitious 10 GHz processor, we are making progress in other areas.

The focus right now seems to be more about the Internet of Things rather than creating monstrous desktops.

4. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

That is very unfortunate, since I really do not care about the IoT but am very fond of desktop computers, because they offer such a variety of options for customization and I really enjoy "hands-on" work.

5. blakstealth Club Bangerz

Do you think the lack of innovation and advancement could be due to competition as well? Just speaking between Intel and AMD in recent years, maybe Intel has been holding off because AMD hasn't been on the same level as them until their Ryzen came out last year.

--

Interested in this one. It might be my next phone

(*)

6. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

I currently have a 32 gigabyte flash drive, and it is less than 50 percent full (around 30 percent), but I still plan to upgrade to a drive with larger capacity, since I expect to take many photographs at my brother's bachelor party, my brother's wedding, and my cousin's wedding in the upcoming months.

I have several models in mind, but I would appreciate feedback on which unit others here would prefer.

The first drive that I am considering is the , which is inexpensive, but not necessarily the fastest and also is rather large in physical size, so it may block adjacent ports. Also, it is made of plastic, and the drive that I seek to replace is made of aluminum, so that would be a downgrade.

The next model that I am considering is the , which is very highly rated and also very fast, but it again is rather large in physical size and is made of plastic.

The third unit that catches my attention is the , which is from a respected brand, is very fast, has a small physical form factor, and is made of aluminum, but it is very expensive compared to the others.

What does everyone else say about this? Which drive would you recommend?

7. blakstealth Club Bangerz

From those 3, I would get the Sandisk Extreme Pro. It is the most expensive, but the read and write times are better than the other two. Depending on how large your photos will be and how many you'll take, the faster speeds will be very nice to have. It sounds like it's worth the price.