1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

6. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Computers, Electronics, and Technology Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Island In the Sun

United States
    1. Of course there are limits.

2. There are advances; it's just that our ability to mass-produce highly intricate machinery hasn't kept up with our ability to design them.

3. We're talking about a lot of transistors crammed into a tiny space. The 1080 has 1.8 billion transistors. There's only so many transistors we can fit into a space before we start running into problems; solving these problems is a unique challenge that's slowed down progress.

4. The future is likely in non-silicon materials, of which are still being explored.

5. Batteries. Since a lot of devices run on batteries, this one is worth mentioning: we can have way better laptops and phones than we currently do, but batteries advance incredibly slow. Subsequently, there isn't as much money being put into developing faster processes, just smaller and more energy-efficient ones.

2. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I read somewhere that scientists are working on developing solid-state batteries, which, if fully realized, will be a major advancement in the world of energy storage.

3. Island In the Sun

United States
    IIRC, most research into solid-state batteries is for car batteries right now. Game-changing but unfortunately not something that'll pick up speed on phones and computers.

IMO, the game-changer will come when we have significantly better phone batteries. It'll push for faster, smaller processors and likely expedite wearable technology, etc.

Speaking of, going back to your last question, I think it's a mistake to assume we're not advancing as quickly. While we never reached Intel's ambitious 10 GHz processor, we are making progress in other areas.

The focus right now seems to be more about the Internet of Things rather than creating monstrous desktops.

4. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

That is very unfortunate, since I really do not care about the IoT but am very fond of desktop computers, because they offer such a variety of options for customization and I really enjoy "hands-on" work.

5. blakstealth Club Bangerz

Do you think the lack of innovation and advancement could be due to competition as well? Just speaking between Intel and AMD in recent years, maybe Intel has been holding off because AMD hasn't been on the same level as them until their Ryzen came out last year.

--

Interested in this one. It might be my next phone

(*)

6. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I currently have a 32 gigabyte flash drive, and it is less than 50 percent full (around 30 percent), but I still plan to upgrade to a drive with larger capacity, since I expect to take many photographs at my brother's bachelor party, my brother's wedding, and my cousin's wedding in the upcoming months.

I have several models in mind, but I would appreciate feedback on which unit others here would prefer.

The first drive that I am considering is the , which is inexpensive, but not necessarily the fastest and also is rather large in physical size, so it may block adjacent ports. Also, it is made of plastic, and the drive that I seek to replace is made of aluminum, so that would be a downgrade.

The next model that I am considering is the , which is very highly rated and also very fast, but it again is rather large in physical size and is made of plastic.

The third unit that catches my attention is the , which is from a respected brand, is very fast, has a small physical form factor, and is made of aluminum, but it is very expensive compared to the others.

What does everyone else say about this? Which drive would you recommend?

7. blakstealth Club Bangerz

From those 3, I would get the Sandisk Extreme Pro. It is the most expensive, but the read and write times are better than the other two. Depending on how large your photos will be and how many you'll take, the faster speeds will be very nice to have. It sounds like it's worth the price.

8. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I recently purchased a to use at my place of employment, since some users have large amounts of data (for example, one user had 100 gigabytes of data and another had 200 gigabytes of data), and the external hard drive that the company gave me was too slow, as it can take hours to move such large amounts of data from one computer to another, even with a USB 3.0 hard drive.

I really wish that the price of that drive had decreased, but I could not wait for that to occur, so I purchased it at its current price. I could have purchased the 500 gigabyte model, but I would then not have been able to use it to replace my personal 1 terabyte external hard drive, should my position end in the near future.

I transferred my data from my work-granted external hard drive to the flash drive, but the data transfer rate barely went above 20 megabytes per second (or perhaps nearly as high as 30 MB/second at time), which was pitiful, given that both devices were plugged into USB 3.0 ports and each could achieve data transfer rates much higher than that when transferring to or from a computer. Hopefully, the flash drive will be faster than that in situations where I shall need such speed.

I know that my company shall not reimburse me for the cost of the drive, so I asked my father, who is a tax accountant, if I could deduct its price from my taxable income as a business expense, but he said that I could not, since I do not pay property tax or have a mortgage, which is unfortunate, but I shall not consider the purchase to be a waste of money, since the drive shall make my job easier and it shall also be useful if my job ends abruptly.

9. Island In the Sun

United States
    Yeah, hard drive transfer rates are abysmal now that SSDs are becoming commonplace.

Your employers are okay with you using your own stuff? I've never worked in tech so I don't know how common it is, but it seems like you'd want their blessing before going out and buying a $400 piece of equipment.

10. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I did not ask them, but I imagine that they would have no problem with that, as I willingly chose to spend my own money on the device, which shall improve my ability to do my job.

11. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

Until recently, solid-state drives were too expensive for widespread adoption, but, now, their prices are the lowest that they have ever been, so they are becoming commonplace; all of the computers in my house now have SSD's, with only my external hard drive remaining as the only HDD in the house.

12. Island In the Sun

United States
    I wouldn't say they've fallen that much.

The prices are only marginally lower than before for a lot of SSDs. I bought a Samsung EVO a few years ago for my current computer, and it's only dropped like $20.

13. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I am planning to soon purchase a to replace my 256 GB Samsung 840 pro, and its price is much less than what I paid for the 840, or at least I believe that it is, as it has been several years since I purchased the 840.

14. Mider T VM Rapist

15. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

As someone who works in technical support, the sight of a tangled mass of cables makes me cringe with fear.

16. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

Today, I just upgraded my computer from a 256 GB Samsung 840 SSD to a 512 GB Samsung 860 SSD, but the drive still shows a capacity of only 256 GB, and Windows also currently starts up more slowly than it did before. What does everyone else say about this?

17. Island In the Sun

United States
    Did you format the new SSD?

18. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I cloned it with , and I just moments ago solved the problem by opening disk management and extending the primary partition, so the full capacity of my drive is not available and everything is good, for the moment.

19. Island In the Sun

United States
    So the answer is no, lol. You didn't.

20. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I did not need to, as far as I know; it seems to be functioning perfectly well, presently.

21. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

What does everyone think of this USB drive, ? $164 for 512 gigabytes seem to be very awesome, to me, and Patriot is a well-respected name in memory.

22. Mider T VM Rapist

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  23. blakstealth Club Bangerz

I've personally never used Patriot stuff, but I've never heard anything bad about them. This one looks real chunky

24. Island In the Sun

United States
    Agreed. I was thrilled when my birds beat them in February.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  25. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

26. na07ki30 Well-Known Member

I think ampere would be the next GPU architecture for gaming while Volta is something else.
    Damn that much stash in your flash drive? Might as well install a new OS and run it from there lol also never tried patriots RAM but I know there is Corsair vengence series and the RIPJAWS series.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  27. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I need to purchase a new radio receiver for use at the restaurant where I work, as I always listen to music while I am there, to relieve the tedium. I currently am using the , which provides excellent sound and is compact in size, but some of its buttons have stopped working, likely due to the heat and humidity of the kitchen, which is obviously very bad. If I were to purchase another HDR-16, the same thing would likely happen to it, as well, so I am wary of doing that. This unit, the , looks very awesome, but I would like to know more about it before I spend nearly $90.00 on it. Then, there is also the , but that may be excessive for use in a restaurant kitchen. What does everyone else say about this?

28. blakstealth Club Bangerz

It looks like you can DJ on that magnavox

29. blakstealth Club Bangerz

30. blakstealth Club Bangerz

Looks like AMD is going after that Pentium/Celeron market. I'm interested in seeing the independent reviews and benchmarks; if the gaming benchmarks are remotely similar to the tests AMD did, then this is a great value at $55.