1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Concerts, festivals, and bears, oh my.

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Dionysus, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Dionysus

First off, glad to meet fellow music lovers. I'm sure there are a few music haters in here, hope you're enjoying yourselves.

I'm here to post about concerts, or in their larger form, festivals. I'd like to hear about your experiences at these events. What you like about them. What you hate. What could be improved upon.

What was the last musical event you attended?

I'll answer this last one.

(The right answer would be a DJed wedding I attended a couple weekends ago, but I'll ignore that.)

The Roskilde Music Festival, 2005 edition. I was visiting a Norwegian friend, and she convinced me to go to this magnificent event. There was an eight hour bus ride though Sweden to Denmark (terribly boring as I couldn't sleep), but once there I was immediately enthralled with the scenery.

There was a ridiculously large crowd let in at once; people streaming in to the camping areas looking for sites. I ended up staying (surprise, surprise) in a large Norwegian camp. These people can be crazy at times (but, it's nothing I haven't seen before, nor do I not fit in).

Suffice it to say, an eight day festival, with four days of "warm-up" ( ;) ;) ) and 4 days of professional music, is quite the experience. Scandinavians, the ones I spent the bulk of my time with, were great people to party and celebrate with.

Some of the acts I saw (some of which were not my choice ;) ) included Black Sabbath, Green Day, The Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Flogging Molly, Death From Above, the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, too many.

There was a strong community "feel" to the place. Like a temporary city of over 100k. I recommend this festival if you find a few acts playing it that you want to see.

How about you? What kind of experiences can you share? Where are the good music events happening?

[Edit: Oh, yeah. Roskilde this year was sunny, warm, and nice, and sunny. Except when you're trying to sleep past noon in a tent that becomes an oven. In past years if can be as muddy as [insert something really muddy to impress you]. So I hear. Bring a pair of shoes you don't plan on owning afterwards. ]

[Edit 2: Also, sitting around on crates of beer, and dilapidated camp chairs, in a camp full of people speaking Norwegian, and Norwenglish, singing and laughing and dancing, can be one of the best experiences of your life. Just so you know. :amuse ]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Miss CCV

The last one I attended was a looooong time ago! :(

It was Death Cab For Cutie and Pretty Girls Make Graves back in November 2004.

I miss going to shows and concerts!

3. Aruarian

The one I'm going to next year, pretty much owns. Lowlands, a big music festival in Holland with all sorts of alternative music. If anyone wants to check out this years line up, just go to , though the site is in Dutch.

4. louuster

Last show i saw was Nightwish back in December. It was pretty cool and Tarja's voice is even more impressive live! And they played Symphony of Destruction from Megadeth :D
    Anyway, next show I know I'll attend is Children of Bodom, Trivium and Amon Amarth november 10th.

5. Ephemeral

Recently went to Foo Fighters on the 8th, it was nice =)

6. Meijin

I HATE YOU. The Mars Volta ALWAYS go to Lowlands :crying

7. louuster

The Mars Volta are coming August 29th in Montreal as guests for the System of a Down tour but I can't go :crying

8. Meijin

I was going to go, but I changed my mind. One hour isn't enough! I want to see them headline their own tour and I want to stand, salsa dancing, for 4 hours! :mad

9. Dionysus

Hm. The Mars Volta pulled out of Roskilde at the last moment. I was sad. :sad

10. Meijin

Aww, that sucks. They aren't into that whole groove I guess.

11. Dionysus

I heard it was an illness or some such. I can't read Danish, and never asked for a real translation, so I never did find out. :amuse

[Edit: "Mars Volta were forced to cancel their European tour after frontman Omar Rodriguez- Lopez fell ill." ]

12. Meijin

Ahhh that. Yeah, he had really bad abdomen pains, but then again, who wouldn't after playing 3 hour sets almost every other night? He's recovered a bit since, not sure if fully, but he's better.

13. Nakor

i wish i could go to a music festival. but there are never any good ones in the east coast of U.S. all the good ones are out west :sad

last concert i was at was Coldplay a couple weeks ago. it was real good. chris martin is definitely a crowd pleaser.

14. amas-emasiK

Last concert was Red Hot Chili Peppers on Friday night. Fucking awesome. I got beer all over me, was sick afterwards among the crowds of people, but it was the best concert I've ever been to. I've also seen R.E.M, which was awesome.

15. explicitkarma

The last concert I saw was Tub Ring and Dog Fashion Disco a few weeks ago. But we're going to ignore that because I saw Ween in April and that completely overshadows TR and DFD.

They played at the Tabernackle in Atlanta. It's not a small club but it's not a big, huge corporate venue either. It is an old-timey theatre-like place with a balcony and murals all over the walls. Anyway, it was an amazing experience! They must have played a three hour set of their best--a lot of Chocolate & Cheese and Pure Guava stuff. It was as if the audience came together as one entity and responded to the music. The Boognish was definately present... best concert ever!

16. destroy_musick

Fantomas in 2004 in London.

Any electronica nut/fan can appreciate how it automatically became awesome when KID606 opened up first, was then pulled off stage because he went 15 minutes over his alloted time because he didnt actually play any songs from an album and just improv'd the entire set list.

He was then followed by, as any self-respecting jazz fan should know the greatness of, The Flat Earth Society. By god that was awesome, though they did hit some weird pitches and frequencies that nearly made me faint :(

Then came Mike Patton & Co. 1 1/2 hours of improvisation, Mike Patton craziness, Trevor Dunn bass solos, Dave Lombardo drum solos and Buzz Osbourne doom metal. They covered songs by The Spice Girls and Beyonce as well as performing "Surgical Sound Specimens From The Musuem of Skin" in between songs from their s/t (yes he did memorise the scrreams, jibs and squeals) and The Directors Cut (Der Golem, Cape Fear and Twin Peaks were all the stand outs). Simply one of the greatest shows I have ever been to.

17. Voynich

Hmm last concert I saw was Jesu in a nearby club. Next on the list is..uhm..Isis & Zombi on the 17th. I don't go often to concerts. Getting there isn't the problem, getting back at 1.30 is since I need to transfer at like 3 stations. So I tend to get stuck in deserted towns at 3 am =.=

Ah bout the concert right?

hmmm Twas good. It's a really small club and there really weren't alot of people, maybe 70 included the band and roadies and club staff XD Really too bad cause Justin K. Broadrick is awesoooooooooome. Anyway, first about 30 minz of Justin doing his solo project Final. Just him sitting behind a comp with his guitar. Not much of a stage presentation, but he makes the most beautiful soundscapes so it's okay. Next his back up band got on stage for the Jesu project. More soundscapes but with vocals this time. Hard to describe. Godflesh goes slightly cheerier? XD Something like that. Ah well.. Twas good anyway.

Before that I saw Opeth, but Opeth needs no explaining. Goddamn awesome. Period.