1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Contests discussion thread

Discussion in 'Art Contests and Competitions' started by ane, Mar 21, 2016.

1. ane Advisor

Use this thread to talk of what kind of requirements an entry should have.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Tags:
  2. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Retired Staff

JayJay, we know that you have the gfx skills to create something much better, so why the minimalism?

3. Fenrir Genki

4. Catamount Wreak havoc

Tunisia
    the difference is that i don't have skills for something more complicated :lmao

5. Fenrir Genki

unless every aotw you've put out thus far was literally just the stock, that's a lie :mikebatman

besides, half the point of these contests is to at least attempt making something new out of what you've got to work with

6. Catamount Wreak havoc

Tunisia
    true, but it's not a photoshop contest either
    I really can't spend all the effort on my tab because it changes the colors, the contrast and in general it's not comfortable for me, who first tried photoshop on normal PC. I go with adjusting this or that, using brushes, choosing colors, only few layers.
    so I just do minimal, cause it's fun and I enjoy interpreting the theme, experiencing it and I hope that theme choosers also enjoy all the different variants they get, even the most simple ones. I always thought it's more about how you feel the theme chosen. after all simple sigs and avys can be nice for a change.

7. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Retired Staff

There's nothing wrong with minimalism and this contest is for people of various levels of gfx experience. It's a good chance to learn from each other and improve, which is why it's up to the advanced contestants to set a high bar.

8. ~M~ Do it for her

People should really shut up and gun up. There's a vote so the discussion thread doesn't have to be a debate and the mods don't have to choose the winner. In fact mods have no say in who has a right to enter there have been established rules since before them and censorship was never part of it and certainly not 'perceived effort', an argument of piss caliber in art critique.

Fine art ideaology is meaningless in a contest. Winning is the only meaning. In the contests the objectively good works are those with votes there can't be any crying about that

There's plenty of other places to make art that have more rigorous integrity than an avatar contest

9. Fenrir Genki

Why is it even a thing for people to have their shit removed because not enough effort was put into it when apparently you can get away with doing quite literally nothing to your entry :mikebatman

10. Haze Scratch n' Sniff Belly Buttons

idk, maybe there should be two separate contests. One for entry level type of avatars and one for those who know their shit and got their shit together. But nope, everybody gotta complain about there being too many contests.

11. Haze Scratch n' Sniff Belly Buttons

Or idk Mods should at least let people know what the qualifications are in actually entering a contest requires. What program they should use and so on and so forth.

I mean, obviously those who are good at it have spent an actual amount of time perfecting their skills and entries. Instead of complaining about it, you're open to critique that person and let them know their shit needs more work done. Got tips and tricks? Feel free to share instead of bitchin about it in another convo.

Also, beginners are free to lurk OLC since its public, they talk about art in there on a daily basis and they're all pretty dank AF, so if you need tips and tricks, its all there too. Since some beginners are too intimidated by the others to enter and those who are too good are annoyed of beginner entries, there should probably be separate contests.

Just helpin y'all out.

12. Haze Scratch n' Sniff Belly Buttons

All I says was, you're free to lurk. I didn't say nothin about posting :caticon

but you're free to do that too. I don't make ppl do anything, that's all on your own free will.

13. Arcuya fast and bulbous

Nuke participation points imo tbh tbf probably maybe yes
    It hinders both improvement and quality of the contests in echange for "activity"

I dont know what we're ultimately talking about tbf
    but on the topic of beginners I made this awhile ago but it never got used because the giveaway convo is a thing and who the fuck looks in art 101, im willing to help peeps if they ask either way :caticon

14. Moira 「 Are You Finished? 」

I'm sure you make Haze do stuff. :caticon

Nigga, you tryin' a' sabotage me?

15. Araragi <b><i>loneliness is a wave</i></b>

as in how much a stock needs to be edited to be considered an entry? or the level/ability of a person when it comes to photoshop/gimp?

16. Senjougahara Hitagi banned

still undecided on participation points

they encourage some people to try who may not be confident they can win, which is a good thing, i actually don't think i would've started my own gfx adventures without that initial push tbh

but on the other hand they just encourage some ppl to get lazy and submit crop jobs 'cause they know they'll get the points either way

and there's really no way to avoid this without some arbitrary quality control metric which might theoretically work but under the art section's current direction almost invariably wouldn't

i think a 'do more than just crop' rule wouldn't be bad tho, i mean even giveaways require some kind of color adjustment at the very least afaik, and it's pretty straightforward to implement

basically ability shouldn't be scrutinized, people will only improve if they try to begin with, effort perhaps should be

17. Haze Scratch n' Sniff Belly Buttons

@kror I don't tell anyone what to do, tbh. Esp bc I dislike people who like to turn it back and point the finger on you when they do things willingly :caticon

I don't think people immediately look there unless they're actually interested or are looking to better their skills. Art 101 is probably one of the more informative sections on art here; it has absolutely useful information and is quite beneficial for those who are afraid of asking others for some tips. I think majority of the people who post in this section are pretty good about helping one another out if they have questions.

But I do have to agree with you on the participation points. But at the same time I feel they're deserving for those who actually take the time to work on their entry. If you're just cropping an image to post as an entry to obtain participation points, there's no point. But if you're actually putting forth the work and playing around with new effects, then why not? These contests are relatively beginner friendly and made for fun. But at the same time, you can't crop an image, decrease/increase the exposure, and call it an entry when others are actually playing around with and using gfx.

18. Haze Scratch n' Sniff Belly Buttons

I will be honest, after seeing Ul, Dev, Gina, Josuke, etc's work, which I highly admire; it's definitely made me up my gfx game since I hadn't touched PS since I changed my major 5 years ago. And entering these contests are a good way to brush up on skills and to learn new skills. I noticed my style was still stuck in the '09/'10 era, which is horrifically old school. The only hard part about participating is hunting for the right stock.

I mean, even in the giveaways, the people who would post their batches of avatars do more than just cropping the images. They're doing the same work someone would do for an actual entry, just less dramatic.

19. Haze Scratch n' Sniff Belly Buttons

I'm not really sure how to put it in words. But I feel like having an actual program installed, whether it be GIMP or PS, is undoubtedly a requirement. And doing more than just cropping an image and changing the hue and saturation of it.

20. Moira 「 Are You Finished? 」

I often feel the opposite, but I'm a Negative Nancy. I don't think I'm capable of reaching the level of Gina or Ul or the others, so I know I won't be placing here until they leave the forum and I'm still here in my forties. :catsweat When I try nowadays it's one third because I know I at least get participation points which helps soothe the wounds of when I make something I'm really proud of but no one else is really fond of (the other two thirds being I find the theme fun/interesting and I become emotionally charged with an idea that I want to attempt). Of course this does also result in a week like this where I'm not so interested or invested and so neither is my effort.

The latter. :lmao I mean, it's fairly obvious I exerted zero effort in both my entries this week. Came in late, wasn't particularly interested in either theme so I just whipped up something in a few minutes. I know it wasn't directed at me (or at least I didn't think it was).

21. Haze Scratch n' Sniff Belly Buttons

The gfx style has come a long way from what it used to be, there's always going to be changes and everyone's going to develop a different style from one another. I'm sure they've played around with a lot of different techniques and have looked at tutorials and have developed some self taught skills. It all takes time.

You should always be proud of your own work even if someone else doesn't acknowledge it. Admiring someone else's work is normal, but you shouldn't feel down about it just because your entry doesn't get votes. I mean, even in the cooking contest, I could care less about getting any votes. I just like to cook and take pictures of my shit bc I cook and take pictures all of the time. The votes aren't always going to be based on your presentation, it's all on what the voter's personal preference is imo. You, as an artist/cook (generally speaking just in case you thought I meant you), shouldn't make others feel bad just because they didn't vote for your artwork. People vote for what appeals to them. You can't dwell in a pity party or on negativity all of the time. And if you realize you don't like your style, change it or improve it by doing different things. And like Ul said, he doesn't have a problem with people asking him for help.

I know me saying all of this isn't going to change the way you feel about yourself. But don't you think things would get a little boring if everyone's style of GFX looked exactly the same? Honestly, I could care less for the participation points on my own accord. A lot of my entries are usually all due to me learning and playing around with something new, and wanting to learn new things.

But imo, you do more work with your entries. Don't feel down about it if you felt you didn't do enough.

22. Araragi <b><i>loneliness is a wave</i></b>

not necessarily. Someone with paint could still do enough to a stock to make what could be considered appropriate for an entry.
    I'm not capable of it either and frankly most of my entries are stuff thrown onto a canvas but I still try with what I know and aim to submit something that can compete for second if not first. So pre-maturely placing yourself at a lower bar is rather silly when you know you can do better or at least try to do better. I've been trying for months and I haven't won a comp. Rather then letting it discourage me I keep going because not only can it be fun but it's satisfying to see what comes out. Participation points are also a healthy drive but I don't let that be the sole reason.

And
    I would think this is common and I've felt this way too. People have different tastes but there is definitely a more or less common aesthetic feel when it comes to gfx. Thus winning becomes more about pleasing the tastes of others rather than yourself. Still, that doesn't mean you change your style. Rather, you just improve it to make something amazing that can compete on the same level as the rest.

23. Fenrir Genki

At the very least, reduce the amount of participation points you can get to like 4 at the very most per month

24. ane Advisor

The rule that if you don't do shit you won't get participation points has been up since November (when we started doing this). With that said, all entries until now have qualified for participation points, but going to set the limit in just crops.

25. Arcuya fast and bulbous

Dunno if we should take this elsewhere but just chiming in :catsweat
    I don't think there should be any minimum requirement because people should be trying a minimum amount of effort outright which afaic is hindered by the concept of participation points. Like how sotw has managed all these years.
    It shouldn't be though and especially for you specifically :catippy
    Also no one should be expecting to win from the get go, i didnt win for ages.

and basically
    I thoroughly disagree and i was slightly when you said the same thing the other week in aotw since it's wrong, you can, maybe you just need to be pushed in a certain direction but either way this is defo not true.

and what jobukake and haze said

26. Fenrir Genki

i honestly just enjoy the learning experience

i don't think I was shit before I started contests and tbh I still don't think I am when niggas like Pete have set such a high bar, but it's that bar that pushes me to get better and try out new stuff

it's a lot more rewarding being acknowledged for something that's a product of all your hard work and personal improvement

27. Senjougahara Hitagi banned

:caticon

i agree that ppl should just be participating 'cause they enjoy it and want to improve, but as an initial motivator participation points might not be such a bad thing (btw when i said 'win' i actually meant 'place' ie. earn points any other way than just participating)

i do agree that in the long run participation points do more harm than good tho, and i've suggested more than once to vino that he reduce them if not scrap them entirely

28. corsair ★★★★

Maybe we could get higher participation points at the start (beginner points) and then they just get reduced over time. You would get more points so that you can get a big ava in reasonable amount of time. But after that you have to grind if you want another.

I wouldn't scrap them entirely, just to make it possible for everyone to achieve rewards if they are dedicated enough. Because if you only enter for a few participation points you could just use the giveaway section anyway.

Also next topic should be "simple crop" :caticon

29. Senjougahara Hitagi banned

i actually thought of this myself, basically have a decay function on participation points that runs down to zero after x many contests

but it would be a nightmare to implement, the staff would never agree to keeping track of all that shit for everyone, no way :sadpanda

next topic's gonna be smudge background with no render tbhtbf desu :caticon

30. corsair ★★★★

It's not like we get that many newcomers every week. And maybe you would just mark them in the rewards thread, like the legacy points.

Vino would do it. :sadpanda

This smug smudge obsession has to end :caticon