1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Copying Images and drawing them....Is This?

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Zhero, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Zhero

ok, I wanna kno is this a valid learning tool for artist, i used to do it alot when i was little, but it wasnt really effective...but what do you guys think of this. Is this sort of like plagerism or could it be an effective learning tool

Tags:
  2. nah-nah

It's an okay way to learn how to draw... just as long as you don't take credit for the work and say "this is my original work."

I used to copy other artists' styles. I eventually got my own style from doing that.

[edit]
    Dude... sasuke_silent_ninja... not cool. Welcome to the forums... but... seriously, man. Rules and FAQ: read 'em.

3. Spidey

yeh, i admit that sometimes I look at other comic artists for help with figure placement and just some reference. I find it helps a lot, and of course I don't claim it as my original idea. I'm trying to do this as little as possible now and develop my own style more. But in answer to your question, yes, I think it helps you get started, but eventually you should start to move away from it.

4. Irish_Jonin

The proper term is "cloning" and yes, it is an excellent tool. The next logical step is to start developing your own style, and using what you learned from others on your own.

5. Yondaime the Hokage

no, unless you were to use the work as your own, then your in trouble

6. Ephemeral

If it looks just so sexy and I want to copy it, I will. But I won't call it for my own.

7. Vilnius

I would say that it is. By using the work of more experienced artists, you're better able to grasp the basics and how they are implemented. You also are able to see more advanced techniques, and eventually you'll learn how to use them in your own art.

8. onigiri-chan

meh i don’t particularly do it very often, only when I’m board i take more pleasure from coming up with my own original art

i will usually look at other pictures for inspirations of how id want a sketch to look like in a general sence but i add my own details along the way.. and some times its just the style of the picture and not the exact pose that inspires me

I’ve actually seen people use official art for a anime or whatever, used the picture as a template, drew different clothes or hair and colored it different and tried to pass it off as original... don’t see whets the point of passing it as your own, shouldn’t you feel pride in doing you own stuff..?

9. Chamcham Trigger

Well it's a good way to get a feel of certain poses and stuff, but definately not something you should stay with if you really want to take art seriously. I say use it like train wheels and make sure you pay attention to what you're copying.

10. Zhero

ok, i may start doing this againt to get out of the rust, because i feel like doing it sometimes, but i think it wont make a difference in the type of artist i become

11. Dilemma

Then again, some poses are used a lot, (eg the 'nice guy' pose). If you draw one of those later on without a clear example, you can call those your own. It's not like walking or the animation 'walking' has a copyright on it, so you needn't be too strict on yourself either.

12. Zhero

I think its fine to copy/trace an image to learn, but eventually (sooner then later) you have to go free style if you want to advance.

14. Jef88

copying is the best way to learn but make changes :amuse
    and never take credit for a copied drawing and saying its youre idea but you can take credit on a job well done
    and all will be fine :amuse

15. google123

Copy the body and draw different clothes. That's kinda fun I guess. But shouldn't this be in a Art Forum?

16. Jef88

and not rely nobody is posting art in here so
    this is more of a discution thread orso :amuse

17. Id

I have to say Im an expert cloner..........but cant get my ideas out for shit.

18. Aruka

copying a drawing as a learning tool isn't bad. I started out like that, and now, Im pretty good in drawing.

19. Zhero

20. kire

i do it from time to time.. it helps you learn, but if you were to enter it into a contest you must say where you got the picture or it could be considered plagerism..Thats what i remember my art teacher saying...or something like that...but if your drawing just for you..its fine...yay for all artist!

21. sonnie_skies

m'kay. copying is supposedly illegal, but i can't see how you'd get in trouble if it's done purely for educating yourself. if you're worried, place the original artist/photographer's name in the corner either above or below (can't remember which) your own.

you can't blatantly rip off other's work and claim it as your own, even after some "creative changes" such as replacing their figures with your own characters, anime/game characters, etc, as i have often seen done.

22. BooYah

its ok that way u will learn...but its much better if you try to make it yourself..ccuz if u always copy other pictures u will be dependent on it..