1. Due to an update, many default preferences have changed.

If you have any issues, such as unrequested email notifications or following threads you didn't want to follow, then check your setting here.
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Give your waifu the ultimate gift - being crowned the most popular waifu on NF by helping her win in Senjou’s “NF Waifu Popilarity Contest”

Feeling extra confident? You can now bet on your Waifu as well for fun forum prizes here

Come on with everything your waifu does for, you should do this for your waifu.
  4. Impending Naruto Avenue Reorganisation!

Want to learn more? Wish to chime in? Click here.
  5. The latest NF Newsletter is out (October), read it here

Covfefe Convo #140 - It really grows on you

Discussion in 'The NF Covfefé' started by mr_shadow, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Catalyst75 Well-Known Member

Do you try to over-generalize opposing arguments every time?

Scratch that, I know you do, given you think me some totalitarianism supporter. :hm

History is something to be learned from and understood, not given "commendations" and "praise". We should learn from history and understand it so that we can avoid making the same mistakes that the people of the past did, and avoid in engaging in the same acts that define many of the darker points in that history.

In the case of Columbus, he was not the first to have discovered America (just the first openly acknowledged one), and he shouldn't be "commended" for many of the actions he took, especially in relation to what he inflicted upon Native Americans.

Moreover, he was even obsessively religious enough to have his own "apocalyptic story book", , even calling for a "final Crusade" to take back the Holy Land from Muslims.

2. baconbits Moderator

Like I said, you're a lightweight, man. Quote where I said "he did nothing wrong". In the meantime:

In this case some historians, included in my links, say that Columbus left settlers at an Island and they were massacred. When he returned he killed those who massacred those settlers.

As it is, his thinking about slavery was very messed up.

So yes, I think Columbus did some terrible things.

It's because you are. You overestimate yourself because I tire of getting into these tl;dr's where you disregard the opposing argument in favor of simply restating your conclusions as if they were fact.

They have the confidence that whenever I post there will be five others willing to take me on, which has always been the case. It's not a problem, since I have no end to opponents I can debate, but to presume that because I don't take the time to dismantle an argument I must be unable to do so is presumptuous.

They can outpace me only in throwing ad hominems and passive aggressive ratings. The former, they learned from you. The latter they learned themselves and with no cost, since I only rate positively or ironically for the most part.

Lol. You ought to help George RR Martin finish his series: you're a master at fantasy.

This level of comparison qualifies you as a lightweight. As said before you can't justify your comments with a quote. At this point you're not even trying to back up your arguments. You're just throwing shade, knowing that the bandwagon will continue to roll.

That isn't an over-generalization. That's an accurate description of their argument and I doubt even they'd disagree with it.

When you think people shouldn't have the right to push their political views because you disagree with them you are a totalitarian. As for the rest, I'm already debating people challenged with reading comprehension. I don't intend to engage with another at the same time.

3. afgpride Well-Known Member

4. Roman B***h I'm adorable

Get a load of this guys. @baconbits, the guy who argues for objective morality, says we should judge by subjective morality as well.

:drake

5. Roman B***h I'm adorable

How can you say that there's a standard universal morality to then say we should also submit to the sort of morality that changes and is therefore meaningless because it's always changing

6. baconbits Moderator

At some point people have to expect shade will be thrown back.

That's not my argument, but a bandwagon doesn't need logic to roll on. Continue.

7. Roman B***h I'm adorable

8. Roman B***h I'm adorable

:drake :drake
    :drake :drake :drake
    :drake :drake

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Flow Throw a hunnit' racks it hit the floor

@baconbits, you agreed with this troll post. Quit trying to lie yourself out of this.

10. baconbits Moderator

11. afgpride Well-Known Member

This shit is lit. She doesn't even speak Spanish. :dafuq

12. Flow Throw a hunnit' racks it hit the floor

This isn't a bandwagon...you have demonstrated to just be wrong on this Columbus ordeal and can't accept that you got bodied initially.

13. baconbits Moderator

I see. Where do you get that I've determined his morality from a subjective standard? Or a better question, where did I discuss his morality?

14. Roman B***h I'm adorable

Dude. You argue that he should be judged based on both universal AND historical (i.e. subjective) standards. Don't bullshit me and say that wasn't your argument now.

15. baconbits Moderator

A rating doesn't incorporate my entire argument. You disagreed. I agreed with the sentiment that Columbus is worthy of commendation. Besides that a rating only means what you infer. Don't try to force an argument into a rating. Otherwise I'd have to infer you dislike facts, since that's what you did to Shadow's posts about the Chinese economy, which was based off of IMF data.

16. baconbits Moderator

Judged on what merits? Was I speaking of ethics or his achievements?

17. Catalyst75 Well-Known Member

You take one point a person is arguing, and try to apply your interpretation of that one point to the person's view-points as a whole, including in regards to other subjects not part of the topic at hand.

That is the definition of "over-generalization".

The NRA's views are potentially dangerous to the people of the United States, and they even have ads that send threats against those people whom they politically oppose (and politically oppose or criticize the Trump administration).

The same group who thinks just a small regulatory change to bump stocks is an adequate response to a massacre that involved them.

Voicing my concerns about a potentially dangerous group, and suggesting ways to limit their influence, does not make me "totalitarian."

Last time I checked, open discussion is part of what makes the Cafe so active, so expect people to enter into an on-going argument.

18. Flow Throw a hunnit' racks it hit the floor

Lol. Its not a bandwagon, but you have cats that hardly post in the convo hopping onto an argument they didn't even know about...

20. Roman B***h I'm adorable

:rengescust

21. baconbits Moderator

I see. What other topics did I apply that to? And back up your assertion with quotes.

If all you did was voice concerns, you'd have a point: I'd be overstating the case. But you stated in that very thread that you wanted to shut down the NRA, which is far more than voicing your concerns. Be honest about your opinion or I'll just quote it and remove all doubt.

I expect people to join in. But I choose who I will engage.

22. baconbits Moderator

You don't know, but you're trying to make a damning argument. Please put forth some effort.

23. Flow Throw a hunnit' racks it hit the floor

Where in that post did he mention the word commendation? I said "fuck Christopher Columbus", to which Mider T questioned "Why? He didn't do anything wrong" This is what I mean man. Just take the L here.

24. Roman B***h I'm adorable

:dank

25. Roman B***h I'm adorable

It really doesn't matter if you were arguing for his ethics or his achievements. The point is you argued that the man should be judged by two different standards simultaneously when one necessarily overrides the other. Asking me if you were talking about his achievements or his merits is a blatant attempt at steering this to another topic, which is grossly dishonest :dank

26. Roman B***h I'm adorable

So no. You're the one who needs to put more effort instead of acting like a coward.

27. Gunners .

@Roman you posting that image was lame the moment you said it was going to be your thing. Change it up.

28. Normality venus

My god you lost the argument. Take your L and go

29. Roman B***h I'm adorable

30. Gunners .

For what it's worth @baconbits , you shot yourself in the foot by agreeing @Mider T's post.

It changes a general statement into a challenge you can't win. @Flow is a competent novice so he should be able to stay on top of things.