1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Anime Awards for 2017 part 3 commences with genre awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

[Complaint] Cranky Staff

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by jayjay³², Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayjay³² Drug Addict

I’ve been noticing a new trend with a handful of staff members that is getting quite obnoxious. When veteran staff members are doing this, it sets the standard for the new mods to follow their behavior and practices – and that’s why I’m filing this complaint, because it’s just setting a bad precedent that has never existed before.

Essentially, here’s what happens:

0. Staff posts warning or threatens handful of members within a thread
    1. Member(s) breaks rule
    2. Staff deletes posts, handles punishments, etc.
    3. Staff makes rude, unnecessary comments in the thread, generalizing posters or showing visible frustration that they had to do something they are expected to do as forum moderators.

I get that staff are human (too human, in fact – nobody appreciated Dragonus Nesha as much as I did), but, please, just don’t do steps 0 or 3 in this scenario. In fact, to any admins reading this, make it a staff rule to outlaw steps 0 and 3. Do your jobs without complaining.

The cranky attitude in response to modding sets up this staff vs. members culture in multiple sections and, as I said, sets a bad precedent for new mods.

Tags:
  2. Vegeta Cunt

This would be solved with a standardised approach to warnings. The same message with the only changes being the usernames who are warned, what they are being warned for. Should tag it, if you wish to continue this discussion, make a thread in the SCR.

3. jayjay³² Drug Addict

That’s not what this complaint is about. It’s about staff members being professional and not creating a hostile atmosphere before and after they take mod action.

4. Mider T VM Rapist

Looks like there has been a staff shakeup:blobsweat

5. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Retired Staff

Care to name names? I don't want to single anyone out, but it might help to address this directly to anyone you think isn't behaving professionally.

6. jayjay³² Drug Addict

Pandamonium
    Lew
    White Wolf
    baconbits
    Nataly

All have problems with 0. or 3.

7. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Retired Staff

@Xiammes @Pandamonium @Lewd @White Wolf @baconbits @Nataly

I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that this list is accurate, and I'm tagging you so you have the chance to address this accusation.

We all need to be aware of our tone. Most staff members, including myself many times, have snapped or acted a little agitated while modding. It's obviously better to try to stay calm and objective whenever possible. Arrogance and irritability serve no purpose here and only sets back the trust and respect of our members.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. Lewd Global Moderator

England
    :O
    I'm still a baby mod, so I'm always looking to improve. Care to elaborate on why I'm on the list? I guess because of 3.

9. Lewd Global Moderator

England
    And if it is 3. I can only think of a couple moments when it happened.

10. Xiammes All For One Administrator

I have certainly exploded in a few situations, not something I want to make a habit of. I've apologized in the few situations I can recall, I don't remember anything relating to 3. Do you mind linking some posts and what not?

11. Pandamonium Insomnia Super Moderator

Unless there's some sort of evidence for this accusation...

I don't see how this is fair at all

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. Nataly Banned

Live and learn, it is all a learning experience for me.
    And thank you for sharing your points and criticism

13. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

I'm still a baby mod as well, but I will say that I prefer pming folks who are acting up and talking things out with them to taking immediate action against them in some way. I consider myself more of a mediator mod. :laugh Of course, I'm not involved with some of the more controversial areas and I'm sure I'd go nuts if I had to deal with OBD and some of the clicks that form in NF.

14. Alibaba Saluja Depths of the Ocean

I guess that, considering the circumstances, mods are doing good.

Dragonus Nesha never got emotional. It´s amazing if you think about it. No matter what, he was able to never get too emotional when modding.

15. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Retired Staff

I’d like to see specific examples as well. I’m not singling out the people I tagged for criticism.

That said, we could all use it as a reminder to do our best in terms of attitude. We’re human and imperfect so it doesn’t hurt to see if we can do better in terms of presentation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Mider T VM Rapist

He was a 19th century posh Brit:quite

17. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

18. Lina Shields Its attack missed!

If I may, I would just like to add in the fact that staff members (especially the higher ranking ones) are basically roles models/guides for others members to follow. It's the reason why these members received those staff positions in the first place.

Perhaps examples of this unprofessionalism regarding the staff should be brought up so this issue can be observed in better detail.

As for warnings/bans that the staff dish out towards the ones that break the rules her on site, is this action done out of a preventative/protective measure (so the members who broke the rules in question don't do it on site again), or is it done out of animosity/dislike towards that particular member in question?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  19. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Retired Staff

I can only speak for myself, but if I was ever snippy it was probably due to general frustration. Mods tend to get a lot of flack from members (either rightly or wrongly). It can be a test of nerves to stay mature. On some level it’s just a forum so we ought to be able to rise about it, but on another level we’re volunteers who want to enjoy the forum too. When you’re really involved in this stuff day to day it can get a little harder to be patient. I don’t know if that answers your question because everyone will probably have a different answer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • List
  20. Pandamonium Insomnia Super Moderator

I completely agree. Everyone needs a reminder from time to time. I just want to know on what basis these claims are being made considering they're being brought up personally in a serious manner as a complaint with specific persons being named :skysun

If they are legitimate then I have no qualms about working on the areas that I need to work on.

21. Ashi Ka-Ka!

I mean the staff here aren’t perfect by any means do have their moments of being passive-aggressive, arrogant etc. but you can’t just be naming names and pointing fingers

If you do have a specific issue then point that out, what OP described could apply to just about anyone

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  22. jayjay³² Drug Addict

I will post examples for those who requested them. Though, I’m a little surprised my time is being wasted to dig through their post history when they know they’ve done it and they can just admit they’ve made mistakes with 0 or 3 and will try not to do it again in the future (as Lew and Xiammes have done). The accusations aren’t malicious if the staff members I’ve named are coming out to admit it. You asked me for names, I simply asked for a standard of professionalism.

I didn’t even want to name anyone, I just suggested that staff shouldn’t do 0. or 3., and Kitsune asked me for names. Why are you pretending this thread was made to call out specific staff members?

23. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Retired Staff

That’s true, I did ask. Didn’t mean to put you on the spot for that. If you want to give examples it might be helpful as a learning opportunity. If you don’t want to spend the time, that’s fine too. I still think we can use this chance to review the situation as a whole.

24. Alibaba Saluja Depths of the Ocean

Well if no one's going to answer this anymore you might as well

:tbh

25. jayjay³² Drug Addict

Nah, I'm compiling a list of bad/cranky/unprofessional staff posts. Will post soon.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  26. Lina Shields Its attack missed!

Jayjay should provide a compilation/list of what he is planning to discuss (regarding the staff issues) before anything is done to this thread here.

27. Grandpa Uchiha Who wants some of my Wood Release?

I agree with Jay on at least one person on this list.

28. Lina Shields Its attack missed!

Is it someone that that is lower, or higher on the staff rank? Just curious since evidence of these staff members acting cranky has not been directly brought up yet.

29. Grandpa Uchiha Who wants some of my Wood Release?

Japan
    We need a salty rating. :blobcry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.