1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Creed II [November 22, 2018]

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by ~Gesy~, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Tags:
  2. Gabe Murim Grand Master

Both stalone and jordon were close to where I live in New Mexico. In Deming. I wonder why they were filming in Deming it’s nothing but ugly desert.

3. Mider T VM Rapist

Did you go to the filming in Philadelphia @~Gesy~ ?

4. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

Oh boy.
    Why did they have to recall the worst movie in the entire franchise.
    The only thing good about Rocky 4 was the sound track.
    Yeah, I get it, its vengeance for his father, but seriously they should distance away from Rocky 4.

*PTSD induced by Rocky 4*
    NOOOOOOO!!!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Didn't get the chance. But the first movie was actually filmed about 20 minutes from where I live to the point where I actually knew exactly where some of the scenes took place.:laugh

I think it's pretty cool when is a movie is actually filmed where it supposed to take place (and not canada).

Jeez I know we're not fans of Russians right now but to say that Rocky 4 is worst than 5 is taking things too far. :scust

6. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish Moderator

Peru
    Nice trailer, well edited.

Feels like some things are spoiled like Adonis losing but it could just be a misdirection. Or not.

7. Skaddix Well-Known Member

I think it be misdirection you wouldn't reveal it this early.

8. Mider T VM Rapist

"I have to do this./I don't have a choice."
    Spoken by Adonis this time and Rocky's mental torment about not doing enough to talk Apollo out of it or throwing the towel. That was a powerful moment.

9. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

- I agree Rocky 4 is the worst entry, but Ivan Drago is often considered to be one of the best villains. Or at least among the more memorable of them.

- Dolph Lundgren is Stallone's friend, I believe.

- Ivan Drago did kill Apollo, so there is some drama to be pillaged from it.

I'm skeptical overall of this project. I figure either this will be a cheesy, sillier sequel, or just a watered down version of the original.

10. Shiba D. Inu Will of the D.oge

11. Mider T VM Rapist

Rocky 4 caused the Cold War to come to an end.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Apollo wanted to die in that ring. In his mind boxing was all he was and hanging up the gloves would be like erasing his identity.

That's why he told Rocky not to throw that towel..and I think as a fellow fighter...Rocky understood that enough to listen.

13. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I do have an issue with Rocky saying how he lives in the past, as if that's not a good thing, but the plot surrounds a movie that 30-ish years old, which means "Creed" is also living in the past. Nostalgia isn't really selling tickets anymore...

14. Mider T VM Rapist

What?:laugh. He didn't want to die at all, he thought he could win. He told Rocky not to throw the towel because he was desperate to get his champion status back. He didn't want to look like a washed-up chump.

People don't box expecting to die lol
    Wrong. Why do you think so many (successful) movies today are sequels of movies decades old or remakes?

15. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

He was already a respected champion and that match was only an exhibition. He gave Rocky a sad look and told him. "Don't throw that towel...no matter what"

And what do you mean boxers don't expect to die? Boxers talk about about dying and killing in the ring all the time. Deontay Wilder said in a recent interview that he wants to kill at least one person in his career in that ring.

:psyduck

16. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

I don't see how Rocky feeling unable to move on from his depressing past correlates with bringing closure to the Apollo story.:hm

17. Mider T VM Rapist

Did you forget how prideful Apollo was? Hell the entire point of the second movie was for him prove that Rocky got lucky in their first fight, even though Apollo actually won. The is the scene in Rocky 4 where Apollo is watching TV in the pool is the one that convinces him to come out of retirement, I wish I had the clip. Rocky even tells him he has nothing left to prove.

This clip sheds light on his mindset, dude was addicted to the limelight.

18. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Agreed..which is why I said he never wanted to hang it up. Apollo is too smart of a boxer to think he was going to actually beat Drago after feeling his power.

19. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Yeah but most of the time they're some form of soft reboot. They have the name recognition, but don't require you to be familiar with the source. It's one thing to do "Creed", which only requires you to have some knowledge of "Rocky", an undisputed classic. It another to do "Creed 2", which requires you to have some knowledge of "Rocky 4". Who is honestly going to want to see this more because of a connection to a lesser sequel?

20. Mider T VM Rapist

The first Creed and Adonis as a character requires the viewer to have a working knowledge of Rocky 4. Rocky 4 was also a popular movie and Drago a popular antagonist.

21. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Not really...They reference Apollo dying, but they don't get into specifics. I know "Rocky 4" was a financial success, but it probably contributed to the underwhelming opening of "Rocky 5".

Of course, I could be wrong. But "Rocky 4" is only fondly remembered for its cheesiness, something "Creed" strove to distance itself from.

22. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

I'd say Rocky 4 is the second most popular film in the original franchise.

Rocky 1&4 are the most consistently referenced.

23. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

But Rocky 2 and 6 were more highly acclaimed. I personally think "Rocky 3" works for all the same reasons that "Rocky 4" does, except it's better...although I also will admit that fewer people seem to remember it. With that said, my opinions probably should be taken with a grain of salt in this case. I am one of the only people who like...um..."Rocky 5" PLEASEDONTJUDGEMEITJUSTHAPPENEDISWEAR.

24. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish Moderator

Peru
    Rocky does have a point when he tells Adonis that he has his entire life ahead of him. Apollo's death, as tragic and sad as it was, happened once after he had already done it all and in Rocky's own words had nothing left to prove.

He doesn't want to see Adonis also go through the same thing and I bet he doesn't want to go through seeing another friend die in the ring again. So I think his message is that he shouldn't do this because of revenge or pride which is what backfired on his friend back then. From his POV and experience and as Adonis's coach and friend that isn't the healthiest mindset for a boxer let alone for a champion like himself.

If Adonis can sort it out all then he could be more prepared to fight Drago's son and not die trying or worse.

In that case then the movie is gonna be a little like Rocky 3 with Adonis losing first to then going back for a rematch.

25. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Haha, c'mon dude-- that movie almost killed the franchise. Stallone voiced his regret in making it and said he only did so for the money! :ippy

26. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Or he's just in the hospital from the final fight in the last movie

Or he won the fight but still needs medical attention since I doubt he's going to leave the ring barely harmed.

27. Mider T VM Rapist

I gotta say though, Apollo had some huge character regression between Rocky 3 and Rocky 4. In Rocky 3, he was quite content in retirement and seemed to have no issues about his perfect record being broken in the previous movie. He took the path of an elder mentor boxer/sage and didn't even take the bait when Clubber Lang called him a washed-up has-been. He'd aged gracefully. In Rocky 4, it seemed like all of that went down the drain. IIRC Carl Weathers was unhappy with his role in the series and wanted out so maybe that explains it.

28. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I actually went through all of the movies around the same time "Rocky Balboa" came out. I think I liked "Rocky 5" more than anyone else because

- My expectations were low. I knew of its reputation.
    - For what it's worth, it is different than the other sequels. I found the usual formula to be stale going into "Rocky 4", so I was pleased when this tried something new.

But yeah...I'm very much aware of how I'm alone on that battlefield, lol.

I heard though that Carl Weathers wanted Stallone to somehow resurrect the character for "Rocky Balboa" when Stallone asked to be able to use footage of Apollo for flashbacks...It's equally likely Stallone just wanted Ivan Drago to beat someone to death in the ring and Apollo being the victim would make it more effective.

On another note, I'm not familiar with the Rocky EU- if that was ever indeed a thing. But I heard that at one point, it's plied that Ivan Drago fought Tommy Gunn from "Rocky 5" and won.

29. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

I also like Rocky 5, a tale of Rocky trying to pass off his skills and attempting to develop his old relation that Mick had with him while neglecting his actual son.

Rocky 4 was just propaganda.

30. Seraphiel Nimu Nimu

Miss me with this weakass cashin shit.

Fuck the first Creed was good, this looks like shit.