1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for Graphic of the Week 50 -- Contest Central Banner is live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Voting for Photograph of the Week 54 -- Landscapes is also live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Entries for Graphic of the Week 51 -- Dragon Avatars are open! Click here to check it out!

Entries for Photograph of the Week 55 -- Freestyle are open! Click here to check it out!

-- Contest Central Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Throw the dice to win Golden Sparkles for a month. Check this thread.

Dismiss Notice

Crime and Punishment

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by ghettoFOBulous, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ghettoFOBulous shame? what is that?

Starting it today. Wish me luck. Has anyone read it and what did they think? Please no spoilers.

Tags:
  2. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

May the gods be with you. I've been trying to finish that darn novel for over 3 yrs now, something has to happen halting my progress. I'm always stopping at part II.

But all joking aside, it's wonderous. Dostoevsky is masterful story telling genius. prepare to be utterly enchanted and coming itno close distance of the human mind and soul.He is the sole reason that I intend to learn russian in the near future, simply to read his works in their original and intended tounge.

3. ghettoFOBulous shame? what is that?

I'm having problems pronouncing the names correctly. Why could they all be one syllable like Joe or Frank.

I am enjoying it so far. Little slow in the beginning but the intial incedent has happened and now I'm diving into his mind.

4. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Yeah the names for a non russian speaker could prove to be an annyance, I'm still not sure of my pronounciation of some of the names, luckly I had a russian friend who helped me a nit when it came to that matter.

Now that you have reached the event, it should pick up quite quickly. As with all novels, if will slow down to allow for character development etc. But bare with it. You'll enjoy it greatly.

5. Umnik New Member

I'm from Russia and I've read this book 3 times. It's one of my favourite. I just wanted to ask you as foreign readers - what do you feel about it? What does annoys you? What makes you laugh over or may be cry? Actually, reading the book by the first time wasn't very easy, but I read it again and again.
    But for example some my classmates didn't like it at all #_#

6. Natasha New Member

I've read this book and really liked it. It's one of my favourite. It's hard to read, but it's really great book:) I know some people and they start to read and understand Dostoevsky - only after 40.

7. ghettoFOBulous shame? what is that?

I'm slowly working my way through it. I don't have much time for fiction at the moment but I see how Dostoevsky probes into the anals of the mind. Some parts are confusing because you don't know if it's actually happening or if it's all in the dudes mind.

8. amithee New Member

i read this book a long time ago and although i don't remember specific plot details, but i remember really liking it once i finished. i especially liked the beginning when you really get into the main character's head. toward the end i think the book lagged a little bit.

Spoiler:
    and i kinda remember being annoyed at the ending.. i guess i would've prefered that the main character found some other redemption other than God and sonia? *scritch scratch* although i honestly forgot EXACTLY what happens.. i just remember being annoyed.

9. Man of a Thousand Jutsus Jutsu Master

I read it for my English class my sophomore year in highschool. It was very good in my opinion, but for anyone who doesn't enjoy reading (or doesn't have time to) it would be a challenge to get through it.

10. Arcanite New Member

Crime and Punishment was a great book but you have to liking reading in the first place.

11. Tyrael I prefer the term Dream Weaver

I am told this man is a master of (as tvtrope dubs it) the "Xanatos Gambit", a plot device I'm currently addicted to. Plus, with all that gab about it being a classic and all I am tempted to read it.

12. Eldritch get mad @ my poor tastes, nerd

Soon I shall be starting this book as well. I generally find books with perplexing foreign names much more difficult to read. I hope that's not too bad for this book's case.

13. sel Agatha, This is Magnus

This is one of my favourite books, despite the difficulty I've had with names (One person can be referred by up to three permutations of their full name which gets a little hard to follow unless you're on top of things), and as moe said, he does go rather slow at times for character development. I remember a large chunk of Part I was the protagonist being told some drunk's life story in an ale house or something; so I don't blame all those who've got bored with it.

Why is it my favourite book? For the moment I just want to scream at you that "It's amazing!" but I think that might leave you short changed. Sure, I listed some ways in which it was hard to read, but he has a fantastically captivating style---not to mention the fantastic concepts explored in the book (I found Rasholnikoff's thesis unbelievably interesting in fact, coincidentally because it was something I'd thought about in my mind one day a fair bit).