1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Current status of major plotlines

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Mizura, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Mizura Meh

The plot is shaping up more and more! After this latest chapter, I am anticipating the unfolding of plot events more and more. :spaz

Here's a review of the major plotlines so far, in no particular order.

I. Naruto and Sakura's rescue mission of Sasuke: The entire part 1 built up to Sasuke leaving, and now the major goal in part 2 is for Naruto and Sakura to retrieve their teammate. Most other major plotlines pose an obstacle to this.

II. Akatsuki's agenda. Also built up from part 1. It represent an obstacle to Naruto's goals since it means capturing Naruto, but it is not limited to Naruto. Tied to this are everything related to jinchuurikis.

II.2. Gaara's kidnapping: resolved arc. It is a direct consequence of Akatsuki's agenda, and has been used to further plotline I.

III. Orochimaru's agenda. "I like to see things move". Orochimaru had already set up the war between Sand/Sound and Leaf, and is tied to the main storyline because of Sasuke. Orochimaru has been set up since part 1 as one of the main villains, so might have even more major plots up his sleaves. He also conflicts somewhat with Akatsuki's agenda.

IV. Sasuke's revenge. It is tied to III. since Orochimaru is training Sasuke.

V. The most recent one: Konoha's internal political conflicts. Think Sunagakure's political conflicts were something? Those were apparently a mere foretaste of the bigger political conflicts in Konoha. The main actors are Danzou and Sai. It might pose a further obstacle to Naruto, and might show something to do with Orochimaru (since Orochimaru's assassination has been mentioned). This might be a one-arc intrigue (as Gaara's kidnapping was) and get resolved by the end of this arc, but it also has the potential to develop into more and posing a bigger long-term obstacle. It might also pose further complications where Sasuke is concerned (what Danzou wants done with Sasuke is not necessarily the mere rescuing Naruto and Sakura want)

Did I miss any?

Here's a graph:

How the characters are tied into the plotlines:

Naruto: obviously tied to I. He's at the intersection of most of the plotlines because he's the Kyuubi container.

Sakura: She is tied somewhat to all of the plotlines because of her role as Naruto and Sasuke's teammates. It also seems that she's become an agent of Tsunade ater the latest chapter: notice how she keeps reporting to Tsunade, besides Tsunade did say that she is one of the few she trusts.

Sasuke: tied to the revenge plot, obviously, and might pose an extra element (obstacle?) in Akatsuki's agenda as things unfold (not only because he's after an Akatsuki, but also because he might later do something about the fact that Akatsuki is after Naruto. Might, in any case)

Jiraiya: he researches into Akatsuki and Orochimaru's whereabouts.

Tsunade: As the Hokage, she can't directly seek out Orochimaru or Akatsuki. However, she might have a direct role with the political intrigues at home.

Sai: Sai is currently the center of plotline V. This means that even if many people don't like him (I don't) and would rather if other characters are developed... Sai is necessary to the current plot. His importance lies not in himself, but as the major element that would allow plotline V. to unfold.

Further analysis of the current situation of plotlines though, led me to this unfortunate (maybe false, but I don't think so) conclusion: the other ex-genins, because they have no deep ties to any of the major plotlines, will thus NOT be the focus of any of the upcoming arcs. Even Gaara, who as a jinchuuriki had the most ties to the major plotlines, only got a few chapters then got to play possum for the rest of the arc while the arc couldn't even just focus on him, it had to be used as a way to further plotline I. as well. The other ex-genins will thus probably just be tag-alongs on the bigger plotlines. During those, they might get developed (just like the ones who went on the rescue mission were developed), but they won't be the focus of any arc. Well damn.

That said, the set plotlines and the complex ways they interact is promising. I can't wait to see things unfold, it seems that things were a bit slow in the past arc to build things up much faster right after. :spaz

Tags:
  2. Astranagun ...

sounds about right, good job

3. G. Hawke The one who left

Hmmmm,
    Miz u know what?
    Ur threads tend to make other people seem incompetant. :crying

While this vast complex plotline is bloody interesting i only worry that Kishi is trying too much to soon. What if it gets too complex?
    It started out easy.
    Oro wanting to destroy Konoha and wanting Sasuke.
    Then we moved on to Sasuke and the introduction of Demon sucking evil people.
    Then we are told there in total 9 demonic containers walking about.
    Now we have a new country they are about to enter coupled with political intrigue.
    Holy......

I am just worried that Kishi will one day go "what the fuck have i done?".
    Then to make it simple he simply skims over everything. :oh
    That people, would be tragic.

4. Chatulio Senex

I wonder if the chunnin exam about to take place holds any importance to the plot :huh

5. FitzChivalry Person of Internet

Once again, another insightful and exceptional post.
    Very True, but:
    I think you might've messed up here, sweetheart.:oh

6. FFLN The Smexiness has arrived

Yeah, the direction of the plot and the motivating factors behind it are very interesting and mysterious. Kishimoto already had much mystery and unexplored factors in Naruto before revealing this next potential plotline. Since the Akatsuki arc in Part 1 was so short, and is seemingly an intro for what's now occurring in Part 2, it's possible that we won't see the "V" plotline develop until after the Akatsuki are dealt with and Sasuke and Orochimaru have been dealt with in their own ways... or it could just all come together in this arc.

In my opinion, Akatsuki will probably be destroyed or disbanded in Part 2 as will their retrieval of Sasuke. Dealings with other countries will probably occur in Part 2 as well, but Naruto won't be playing a big role in it until Part 3, when he has aged a bit more and has obtained more responsibilities.

I agree with the probable role that the side characters, from Part 1, will have in Part 2. They'll only get developed if they have a "focus" moment in which we get to see their ideals and dreams and cares. It seems unlikely for any of them to have any major role other than that though... or the characters from influential families/clans, Hyuuga, Hokage descendants. We'll see more of them though, since they are the characters that we all know and love.:amuse

7. Mizura Meh

Errrrm... I think he has the major outlines thought up already? :S In an interview somewhere, he said that part II will be even better than part I. I think it's because he's already thought up the vast outline for Part 2 and how everything ties into each other.

What he Does seem to be skimming over though, are the minor plotlines that have no direct relation to the major ones. :notrust (hence, the lack of character development in say... team Gai. Bah. I'm also pretty sure things like Ino and Sakura's rivalry, Lee's crush on Sakura, Gai's equal status with Kakashi - Kakashi has stopped slacking off while Gai is complaining that he's no longer capable of youth- are dropped).

Good point! :amuse it might be a future arc. But if that's the case, it probably ties somehow into one of the current major plotlines: either Akatsuki or Orochimaru agenda behind it, or it somehow furthers the rescue mission.

Edit:
    Oops, my bad. Was in a hurry, it was right before lunch. ^^;

8. FitzChivalry Person of Internet

I would say no. Naruto's the only important character to not be Chuunin, but he's already on his way to the Hidden Grass, and I don't care if Konohamaru(who really isn't that important, anyways) becomes Chuunin so...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  9. G. Hawke The one who left

I hope so. :oh
    Or this will be the greatest shaft of plotline in history.
    Of course considering i have been reading House of M lately almost everything pales in comparison. :sweat

10. sheshyo Doesn't need a Custom Title

Well done. I think that covers most of it. I guess you could throw in Orochimaru's attempt to take over Sasuke's body somewhere.

11. Chatulio Senex

I dont mean it the sense that naruto will participate (i really dont want to see that) nor do i really care about konohamaru. What im wanting to see is some more political intrigue betwenn countries and maybe little bits of foreshadowing. :amuse

12. Mizura Meh

I more or less stuffed that under "Orochimaru's agenda". =\ Since we don't actually know if he has other plans than taking over Sasuke's body right now, I don't think it's time to put him at the center of more than one plotline.

Heeey, that Would add extra intrigue. It could be for example the opportunity for another country to show off a jinchuuriki, and lots of things can derive from there. :amuse

13. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

very nice thread :)

I would say that Tsunade being hokage doesn;t have an option to not be involved in the political manouverings, we've already seen her enter into this by assigning Yamato and giving him sepcific orders

I tend to think the fact that a chuunin exam has been brought up quite as it has been i.e. meeting chouji/ino/sai outside the planning comittee, sakura asking naruto what he's going to do about only being a genin, shikamaru becoming an examiner etc. means that it will have some larger plot implications. I would like to see some more manouverings between other nations and a more large scale political situation.

As a whole it seems like Orochimaru has his wish, the windmill is turning.

14. Mizura Meh

Hmm... while it's early to predict anything... If something Does happen with the chuunin exams, having to do with either Akatsuki or Orochimaru, it would indeed be the perfect set-up to imply someone like Shikamaru, or even the entire team 10. Shikamaru in particular is very intelligent and thus might assist with unraveling the source of the trouble. This would give them a bigger and more interesting role than "tag-along for a completely random fight" as was the case for team 10. If the chuunin exams are brought up Again when this arc ends, then it'd be practically confirmed that something big will happen during that time. :)

I had started a thread long ago on this as well. :laugh Massive upcoming war involving the bijuus? But right now, given how complex things are already, I'm not sure if I actually want such a large-scale action happening. :S

15. batanga 6 1 15-45 300

Hmmm, awesome job, mizura!

Yeah, it?s a real complex situation of events (lol, what a sentence.. dunno if it?s even correct english)

But, I at least, wouldn?t want to see another chuunin exam, for following reasons:

1)everything goes fine - boooring
    2)something bad happens - seen this before

I can?t really think of anything kishi could do to make another chuunin exam interesting. The plotlines I?m most looking forward to see unfold are Akatsuki and Orochimaru.

A new war would be excellent. Especially if it happened while team Kakashi is away (not necessarily right now, of course).

Naruto is getting HUUUGE.

+EDIT+

BTW, you gonna finish that Sasori doujin?

16. Lion Takemusu

These political things make me wonder... when Naruto becomes Hokage could he actually... remove the title of Hokage?

(I was thinking what he said to Neji in the Chuunin fight)

17. Mizura Meh

It could turn out to be a politically very interesting situation if Hokage-dom, heck kage-dom and shinobi-dom (thus war-dom, yay for made-up words!) are removed entirely, but somehow I doubt that'd happen. :huh Sure, it'd be interesting if Naruto were to remove the dictatorial Hokage situation to replace it with say... a democratic system, but I doubt that'd happen. :S

He did tell Neji that he'd change the Hyuugas though. But that said, I don't think he'll have to. If he's already properly done his job inspiring Hyuugas, then the Hyuugas will fix themselves (just like Naruto didn't need to tell Gaara to stop being a bloodthirsty psycho, nor did he need to tell the inhabitants of Sunagakure no Sato to start liking Gaara: he inspires people to get the work done themselves). In fact, unless the Hyuugas get a bijuu or something of the likes, I don't think Hyuuga politics will ever be explored again. :S It doesn't tie too well with the main plotlines. I even think that this was the true purpose of the tea scene in part 1: to provide closure on that aspect (everything seems fine with the Hyuugas now) so that it won't ever need to be re-explored again, bummer. >.>

... planned on re-starting work on it last weekend, caught a cold instead, now distracted by messy house fixing, will try to restart this weekend. >.>;

18. gabha GB's Norman

I have nothing to say except that I agree with you. Nice thread.

19. blazingshadow True Wind Rune

i do believe that oro is in the hidden grass and he will be a big part on the chuunin exam but not as much as the jinchuriki living there and the akatsuki will have some part in it as well. it's going to be chaos in that village when sasuke, the flytrap akatsuki (setsu is it?) and the jinchuriki get their turns to duke it out at full power.

20. TenshiOni Active Member

Great job, Miz. :amuse

The future of Naruto seems bright ------ and long. :knk

21. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

This dude just proved that everyone that says "plot hole" is a dumbass. GJ

22. crono220 Legendary in his own mind

Currently the manga is defently improving, with all this political influence going on. And is defently much less predictable now than bleach is...But I will not get into a argument about that right now. Their's so much too be explained and hopefully this next arc will be a set up for many new and great things too come, such as the revealing of the other jinchrukii's, and the other villages (we need to know more about the mist, rock, and especially the cloud villages) It will be neat to see what the grass village is all about.

23. Mizura Meh

Girl. :huh

But another thing I think about all this... is that the series has most probably shifted from a character-centered story to a plot-centered story. A character-centered story is one where the plot is specifically made to develop the character as much as possible. DBZ could be considered a character-centered story (there was hardly any significant plot...): plotlines are made up to power up the characters as much as possible. A plot-centered story on the other hand, is less used to power up the characters as much as possible.

During Part 1, Naruto seemed more like a character-centered story, as we see each of the ex-genins improve. But this might be attributed to the fact that the purpose of part 1 was to more or less introduce all the characters, so it took some time to focus on them. Since then, though, the plot has taken the upper hand. The plot no longer conforms to the character's development, on the contrary, the character development must conform to the plotlines.

I think this is why some fandoms have exaggerated expectations of their favourite characters: they still believe the story to be centered around characters, as such they believe the characters will max out their development potential. Some Ino fans for example, believe that she will have abilities to rival Sakura's to keep up with their rivalry (abilities like poison, for example). Hinata fans... I won't even get started. Heck even expecting an arc developing the romance between Shikamaru and Temari or any other two minor characters would be expectations of a character-centric story. Expecting an arc specifically about Hyuuga politics to see Hinata and Neji more developed is also something of character-centric expectations.

But because Kishimoto has long planned the major plotlines and cannot deviate from them, the character developments can only occur within the defined plotlines, and as such their potential might not be maximized. For the main characters: Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke, these three Are at the center of a number of major plotlines, so their development can be maximized within these, but other characters are not at the center of any plotlines so their development cannot be optimal either. This is why team Gai has been set aside for example. Something about Hyuuga politics would do best to bring out Neji and Hinata, and Ino's character development, through her rivalry with Sakura, can only be maxed out with the proper storylines that unfortunately aren't the focus here (for example, if she had to protect Sakura from Sasuke, but Kishimoto would Never let that happen), so her equal status with Sakura has probably been long dropped. No "plot-no-jutsu" so to say.

Ah well.

24. slumpy doesn't need a Custom title

what about the sasuke and naruto rival issue?

25. RockLee is no brethren unto Kaminae

Not really a plotline, more along the lines of character development.

Thanks, Miz, you just crushed my hopes and dreams for some of my beloved side-characters. Hoever, this opens up a great new world because the manga won't be following the traditional plot formula (scant background and as much powering up as you can fit into 19 pages and 60 panels) but will follow the course of politics and manipulations of power. Awesome!

*Wind blows* and there goes any Rock Lee or Hinata character development. :shakefist

26. Razgriez Banned

Well as long as he figures out to how sum it up it doesnt matter. Anyways, stories with complex plotlines are the best. Makes them seem more realistic.

27. Gallic Rush Why not?

The chuunin exams will probably be important... otherwise why bother mentioning it?

Not quite sure how it will tie into the overall plot... And I don't really want to know, the best surprises are left unknown until the very end :p

28. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

Lets start smexing :p

29. Mizura Meh

Hey, I'm the first disappointed about this... :( But at least we'd get a great story! And while the story won't specifically focus on Lee or Hinata to Maximize their character development, it'd still help them along some (like how the characters got developed in the rescue arc). There's also the possibility that all those characters will get bigger development potentials by being the ones to confront other Jinchuurikis etc. The problem is... that'd mean Naruto or other main characters not being around to do it instead, which is unlikely. >.> Ah well, it's still for the good of the plot. Otherwise we'd get segmented mini-stories with no relation to each other. A bit like the fillers. :huh

No thanks.

30. Chiru Naruto Forums Elitist

Mizura. The way you put it...this manga will never end. XD lol Awesome job! I love your threads.