1. Halloween Drawing Contest is happening now!
    drawing contest 04
    Click [HERE] to join up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

D. Gray-man

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by YamazakiSusumu, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YamazakiSusumu

ヂィー・グレイマン
    D. Gray-man

Recently, I've been trying new manga series. Last month I started reading Death Note (absolutely love it), last week I started Gintama (love it), and today I began reading D. Gray-man (love it).

It's about a 15 year-old boy named Allen Walker who was born with a devil-killing weapon in his arm. Because of this he chose to become an exorcist who travels around pursuing Akuma (devils) and Earl (the guy in charge of the Akuma).

So I've only read 3 chapters of this manga so far, but I can already tell that I'm getting hooked. Anyone else read it?

Tags:
  2. pakku

I've read all 18 chapters that have been scanlated and for some reason I absolutely love it. The premise kinda reminds me of Bleach, but with more of a FMA feeling in it.

I think it has great potential. I love the Earl, the captain guy is hilariously great, Rinali is super cute, Allen's giant crazy arm thing looks awesome, and plus the end of the first mission-kinda-thingy was pretty freaking sad ;_; It just seems like it'll definitely be a great, popular manga soon enough. Go read it.

Edit: And yeah, I have to add in that both Death Note and Gintama kick all kinds of ass too. Damn good new manga in Shounen Jump, says I.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  3. Cinnabon

If you liked that you should read Eden, you will go Apeshit.

That or Blame.

Last one by Marcman2020@hotmail.com

4. YamazakiSusumu

Oooooooo, recommendations. Thanks! I'll try them both. ^_^

5. Orihime

One of my good friends translate D. Grayman for Yanime and she's been bugging me to read it. x-x The art looks purdiful, from what I've seen... but lately I've been so focused with other manga, and duties in scanlation that I hae no time. *sigh* I'll probably get the tankubon tho. That usually motivates me to read XD;

Did you see the Valentine's day poster? :3 the D. Grayman one looked hot... and so did the Misa (death note) behind it. XD;;; Too bad it wasn't a poster of male characters, I could have posted it in my room. rawr.

6. silent_speech

i've recently started to read d.grayman, and yes, it's really getting me hooked to it right now. i must thank you, yamazakisusumu, for introducing such a great new manga... i'm sure this is going to get popular after a while.

7. Kiba-kun

D.Gray-Man

Apologies if there's already a thread on this; I couldn't find it, so yeah...

DISCUSS!

Get it at if you haven't come across it before. It's the next big shonen! Best described as a cross between Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach, but really it's something entirely its own. Love it! Yeshyesh!

8. mow

your sig is the cutest thing ever :p. Ill check it out, thanks for sharing with us :amuse

9. Tsali

Yay! Another DGM fan! DGM is becoming my favorite manga period. It's just as good as Naruto, Bleach, HxH, all that huge stuff. It's a really great story, and it's only on chapter 51 (being released this week). I can't wait to see where the story is at in a year or so. It gets better and better with each chapter.

Kiba-kun is correct about it being the next big shounen manga. A month or so ago, the latest volume of DGM (Volume 4) actually outsold the latest volume of One Piece (Volume 38 I think) for a week, making it the highest selling manga that week! Yup, One Piece being the number on most popular manga in Japan. Of course, a week later, OP took back the number 1 spot, and DGM fell to 3, but still!

The story is dark and serious, but still lighthearted. The characters are all very fascinating and realistic. There's no major stereotypes that tend to annoy many readers, and the battles and adventures aren't so formulaic and "scripted" as those in say, Naruto. The main character doesn't intellectualise every little fight he's in, dragging the action down. No, he gets in there, does his job with no drama or teenage angst, and makes it look good. The supporting cast are really fun, also. Rinali is as cute as anyone who's come outta Bleach, and she kicks just as much demon butt as the boys (thank Heavens for strong female characters). Rabi and Komui are hilarious to watch, but also have serious sides. Heck, I even like Khanda, a character who's "type" I really hate in manga. You'd think he's the next Sasuke clone when you first see him, but he rises above the petty rival stereotype, and is a real fleshed out character, Even the overarching villains such as Rhode and her family are interesting to watch. The art is also really good, the mangaka has a really nice kinda retro-gothic style going which really stands out and adds to the feel. Religious symbolism and meaningful arcs abound for anyone who wants a thought-provoking read.

This manga has just about anything a reader could want. It rises above the typical shounen manga formulas to provide a much more original and facsinating read. I highly recommend it. I rarely collect manga that's only in Japan, but I went out of my way to order the first four tanks, and I'm looking for a cheap site from which to order the recent novel. I also own the really sexy RinaliXRhode Valentine's Day poster that was included in Jump a few months back (actually got it by accident while ordering Death Note posters, another stand out shounen manga, and was pleasently surprised).

So yeah, I guess I'm a biased DGM freak, but I really hope I've helped convince a few people to check out this oustanding manga. It really is gonna be the next big thing (just you wait for the anime which is sure to come out in two years or so!)

10. Windy

DGM is gooood. I just love the style, a gothic shounen manga lol. The art is really pretty, my favorite art style in shounen jump next to Bleach. :p
    I also like the Noah family (Those we've seen at least) and the count, they're pretty cool/funny. I wanna see more of that new guy who was introduced. And I wanna see less of that giant flying torso. It's disturbing. >_<

Too bad the author didn't keep Kanda as Allen's partner though, watching the relationship between them develop could have been interesting, while the relationship between Rinali and Allen is boring and kinda unestablished (First time we see them as partners, they're already best friends. huh?) I really like that whiny vampire guy though. XD

I think I'm gonna order some of the volumes in japanese... Once I know from where. >_<

11. pakku

Agreed on all accounts, except I want to point out that Bookman and Timcanpi are the ultimate duo, as shown here:

12. Norb

hehe DRG!!! XD

Have to agree with you Tsali, Rinali is cute... and awesome and... list goes on =)

13. narutorulez

where on the site can i download it?

14. Code

You can find the latest release on yanime.com You can find earlier chapters on Naruto Cental Link

I read a few chapters and it was quite interesting, plan to catchup soon (might just end up reading all that's released today...).

The main character reminded me of Ed from FMA at first... I'm sure that's been said many times before...

15. CABLE

thats funny because i was thinking the same thing i really feel alot of FMA going on in it but the hollows are like Akuma so i guess thats where they get the Bleach from. Ive only read the first volume but its great and it has a lot of potential.

16. YamazakiSusumu

17. TenshiOni

Merging threads...

18. Kiba-kun

Wowee, just caught up! Thank for merging the threads, the search function came up with nothing for some reason and I wasn't gonna keep going back looking (four months since someone posted in the last one, y'know ^_^;)

Any news on chapter 51? And how fast are Yanime at scanslating? Are they more like Manga-rain or more like Shannaro? :p Another question, anyone know anythign about an anime being released?

Discussion....favourite characters, anyone? At the moment, mine'd have to be either Rabi or Crow-chan ^_^ Anyone got any good pics/coloured pages of them to post?

19. narutorulez

thx for the link! reps

DGray man is great!

20. pakku

From what I remember, months ago they started scanlating chapters on a daily basis to catch up to Japan, so it seems they're capable of releasing quickly... plus, from what I can tell DGM is one of their higher priorities. We can probably expect 51 to be done by them this weekend, although last time they just waited for two new raws before scanlating and releasing both.

Err, in other words, they're fast when they wanna be.

21. YamazakiSusumu

I've read chapter 51 already a couple of days ago. It's quite boring, actually. You can get it from a group called Timcanpi here. I know that the Yanime team get their raws every Friday, but their actual releases are varied. If they really want to get the chapter out, we can see it by Saturday or even Friday night. Lately they've been taking longer, though. This other group, Timcanpi, also has varied releases, but sometimes they are out before Yanime, sometimes not. The best thing to do is check Manganews.net everyday to find out who's released what. I prefer Yanime because I'm used to their name translations (ex: Ravi vs. Rabi, Linali vs. Rinali, Rhode vs. Rodo, etc.)

My favorite characters so far are Rabi and Allen. I also kinda like Rhode for some reason. Here's a great picture of Rabi and Allen that was drawn by pika from DeviantART:

22. Kiba-kun

Chapter 51 released scanslated at . Enjoy! A great chapter to look at, but not a hell of a lot happens XD

23. pakku

They really should wrap this fault thing up soon; I don't think I'm the only getting a bit bored with the struggles against the all-powerful torso.

24. Kiba-kun

Chapter 52 up at . More stuff about the innocence revealed; quite interesting.

25. YamazakiSusumu

Chapter 53 is out by Yanime. There is also a re-release of the entire volume 3 which has been scanned from the actual D. Gray-man volume instead of from Weekly Shounen Jump. The only thing is... the file size is a massive 1GB. O_O'

Spoiler:
    This chapter still covers stuff about Soman Dark. I think the next chapter will be the end of the Soman story since it looks like he's either gonna die real soon or Allen will save him.

26. Tsali

The file is actually 33 Mb. The 1 Gig you saw was how much was transferred totally. Why would a single volume of manga be a gig? The volume looks really good, and of course includes all the bonus materials.

The Soman Dark storyline should be finished in a chapter or two. I really wanna see what comes next.

27. YamazakiSusumu

Hehehe. You're right. I saw the 1GB and was like "O_O how is that possible???" I should have thought about it for more than a half-second. LOL

28. CABLE

wow, I'm a fag. i just found out Kanda was a guy.

29. Crowe

Yeah, at the Kanda first appereance i thought it was the girl with the boots. -_-

30. endgame

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Kanda was a girl -.- he is indeed girly.

I only started reading last week, and I'm already through all the released chapters and officially hooked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.