1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Dare to Discuss - FullMetal Alchemist: Sub or Dub?

Discussion in 'Fullmetal Alchemist' started by Warsaint777, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Warsaint777

I seriously want to start talking about this, in the deepest detail, to the people that have seen the subtitled version and adult-swim dubbed version of FullMetal Alchemist. I want to know why people like it, why they don't, what they think is good, what they think is bad, and what their priorities are in the general presentation of FullMetal Alchemist. I have become a huge fan of FMA now that Funimation is actually not dicking around with it (even if there are some flaws here or there), and some of the voices I've just fallen in love with. I actually thought FMA was so-so after watching the entire subbed series, but once I became dedicated to watching the dub, I said "Omg, this is amazing. What was I missing?". Well, what I was missing with the sub was MY OWN LANGUAGE. But that's based on my personal opinion.

So yeah, I have to say what I do think, which is that I am extremely impressed with the FMA dub. Inspired, even. I am not joking. I admit that other dubs, like the current Naruto dub, are abominations to good American writing and voice-acting, but FMA's dub is a rare example of the amazing things adaption writers and voice actors can do to a Japanese cartoon.

There are alot of different subtopics branching off of the entire issue of whether FMA is better subbed than dubbed, and why one sucks or the other sucks and visa versa, (and I'd like to get to all of them) so I'm going to raise a good starter:

Edward's Voice. What do you think of Edward's voice-actor? What do you think of most of his lines? What lines have you heard that made you laugh? That you thought was awesome? That you thought was ridiculous? Say what you want but support what you say.

I live for this ****.

Tags:
  2. Dannyz

dude, why make 2 threads about FMA here when there is a whole subforum right above you? doesnt seem to make sense.

and for the record, FMA was one of the worst anime ever created. man that was horrible. jeez.

thats just my opinion though, but i think ive seen my fair share of anime.

3. Warsaint777

There is no Full Metal Alchemist dub vs. sub debate forum that is currently active.

Your opinion is appreciated. Might I inquire as to your opinion of anime dubs in general?

4. Amatsu

Personally when it comes to the voices I thought the dub voices were better personally. I didn't think the Japanese voices were fitting but the dub one's just seem to be perfect.

But I enjoy the manga more so than the anime so it makes no difference to me in any case.

5. Dannyz

im just saying that this belongs on the FMA forum, thats all. thats why it was created, i believe.

as a rule, most dubs arent very good. since they arent made with the cooperation with the original japanese cast, director, writers; they dont really know whats going on with the characters and cant really get any advice about how a certain character needs to sound. moreover, there are just certain things things that dont translate well from japanese to english. ie. honorifics, sempai, sensei etc. these make dubs sound really corny sometimes and doesnt express what the anime intended.

there are notable exceptions though. flcl, cowboy bebop, trigun, every ghibli film, and others seem to get most of the stuff right. the director of flcl in fact worked intimately with the english voice actors to assure that the dubs would be absolutely perfect.

i dont hate dubs, actually one of my all time favorite anime is dubbed really good and i am absolutely in love with it. the sub was just as good, and this is a rare case where the subs = dubs.

with FMA, i actually didnt even like the subbed version. i just didnt buy into the anime. i mean alchemy... come on. the dubbing didnt help though.

6. Megaharrison Retired Staff

They're really the exact same thing besides voices as there is no editing or such. I prefer the dub voices overall.

7. kawaii.sasuke

Personally, I like the original voices better (not that I'm offending anyone) it's just my opinion. I've bought fma goods and trust me, most of the audio stuff is in Japanese. I guess that I just got used to it, with the Japanese voices. I mean I do like the dubbed too but I prefer the original ones.

When I watched the series I noticed that there was more emotion in the Japanese version, therefore it made me get into the series more whiched I started to love very much. I want to watch the movie too! ^^ I think that the voices suit them pretty well too (besides from whatever other people think) even though that some of them can get too feminin to much, but it's okay with me.

In my Newtype magazine I think that it said that for the English that they were going to make Roy have a younger voice but they wanted him to be more mature or something therefore, in the Enlgish version he sounds I dunno, grown up. Well that's my opinion.

8. TheVileOne

Not sure what the hell Newtype is talking about. I thought he sounded mature and grown-up in both versions.

Though in the English versions his voice is a little raspier and more hardened by life. So maybe that's what they meant.

9. kawaii.sasuke

I like dub a little better.not that much though.

11. Kira Yamato Retired Staff

Well, I'm more attached to the dub, because well, I started watching it on Adultswim first. I believe the FMA was one of the better anime dubbed, because believe me, there have been some pretty bad dubs done and FMA avoids most of those pitfalls.

12. Taxman Retired Staff

I still prefer the sub; however, the dub does an awesome job...well...compared to most english dubbed animes. There are some voices that don't really fit but they are still passable. I was introduced to the sub first so it's understandable why I like that one more, but the dub is definitely worht watching as well.

13. guiltyspark7750

sub, I can't stand the voices of the dub, but im really picky, the only dub I ever liked was Princess Mononoke

14. Taxman Retired Staff

yes...Monoke Hime was an awesome dub...but that got big name actors to do some of those voices.

I actually enjoy the dub...however, I've had a problem with Hawkeye's, sloth's, envy's and izumi's voices...took awhile for me to get used to mustangs but his is ok...same with scar...

15. guiltyspark7750

scar's got a really deep voice which fits it,i mostly have a problem with gluttony, ed and al's voice...even though I think Barry the chopper had the best voice, oddly enough!

16. Taxman Retired Staff

yeah...that is odd...but it was done right..now if only he had a bigger role like he does in the manga...xD

I just said it took some time for me to get used to scar's voice...but I got used to it and I'm ok with it. I've never really had a problem with ed or al's voices...but that is my opinion.

17. Ryoma Echizen

I began watching the dubbed version, which I thought was done pretty well. Then I went and watched the Japanese version, which I personally think is some of the best voice acting in the history of anime. ^^ A little comparative list. A 'x' goes under which did the voice better, and a little why after.
    Character - Japanese - American
    Ed-------------x----tie----x------ While I'm more used to the Japanese voice, the American one is good too.
    Al--------------x----------------- Not sure why, but Al's American voice just really ticks me off whenever I hear it.
    Roy------------x------------------ Japanese voice fits perfectly, American voice is only mediocre.... meh.
    Hughes--------x------------------- The most dissapointing American voice, seriously, Hughes is my favorite character and his voice is just a total let down in the American version.
    Winry----------------------x------- I never really liked Winry's Japanese voice, and her American VA is quite good.
    Five Ebil Homunculus-x-------- The Japanese voices fit perfectly, while in the American version, Gluttony's voice is way off, Lust's is okay, Pride's makes me cringe, Wrath is meh-able, and Envy sounds icky.
    Scar-----------x----tie----x------- Both fit pretty well.

18. TheVileOne

So far I've like all the sets of voice actors pretty equally. Honestly though I prefer Japanese Wrath and Envy, but I still like the English versions. That's it though.

19. Chamcham Trigger

Both seem to be on par with eachother at the present imo. I only give the japanese voices the edge due to my blind nostalgia of hearing it in those voices first, but I simply can't deny the fact that they put some hard work into dubbing this series.

20. Taxman Retired Staff

if you listen to the commentary on episode 25 (which included the director of the episode, the actor who does the voice of hughes, and mustang's voice actor), they kind of go through the process of making an episode. It's kind of on the fly since the VAs don't see the script until they start recording, yet they put a lot of effort into it...I think the director said that they made winry's voice actor go through 40 takes of one part just to get something right. However, it's somewhat at the director's discretion since this director mentioned how special this episode and episode 3 were and so he tried extra hard on them to make them perfect and they do turn out very well.

I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore...I just felt it was interesting that they added a commentary track on the vol. 7 DVD and the process of making an episode.

21. RodMack

I've only seen the first 12 episodes of the dub and I like how it sounds. It's almost as good as with the Japanese voices.

22. Taxman Retired Staff

dub episode 43 airs tonight on AS...we'll finally here what Hoenheim's voice sounds like in the dub....:spaz

23. RodMack

There's no chance in hell that Canada's ever gonna get FMA. YTV doesn't know shit about anime and Teletoon thinks it's too good for it. >.<

24. Taxman Retired Staff

wow...that sucks.....but once you get the money to get the DVDs...you can watch the dub whenever you want, and you will eventually have the money for them.

25. TheVileOne

Scott McNeil is the voice of Hohenheim. To give you an idea, he's a Canadian voice actor and does a lot of anime English dubs for the Ocean Group studio.

He's played Duo Maxwell in Gundam Wing, Kouga in Inuyasha, and Piccolo in Dragon Ball Z.

26. RodMack

Yeah, it does suck. Getting the DVDs is the only way I can hear the dub.

27. Taxman Retired Staff

well...I would have to say after watching the episode that his voice was actually pretty good for hoenheim...

28. stab-o-tron5000

I actually haven't watched the series subbed yet. I've just been watching it on CN and buying the DVD's, so I can't really make comparisson's as of yet. I will say though, I really haven't had mutch urge to watch the subs, which is a testament to just how good the dub is on this show. Especially since I usually don't like dubs. I'm not one of those anti-dubs types either, I'm just very picky about it and a good dub is hard to find. Fullmetal is easily one of the best I've seen. right up there with Cowboy Bebop and R.O.D. the T.V. (which I actually rate as the best dub I've seen).

I do plan on watching the sub, but I'm wating to finish watching the dub first. Which is now only 8 more episodes, so I'll start on it soon.

Also, once I have all the DVD's My Freinds and I plan on taking a weekend and watching the whole series straight through.