1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

DB's stupid joke

Discussion in 'Society TV' started by MF NaruSimpson, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MF NaruSimpson

First off, I didn't watch the episode cause I don't d/l there episodes. But hearing about it I find it offensive. I'll add some of my previous post to this one and you guys can discuss it if you want. I don't want to dominate the topic either, so if there's comments for me I will see them later on, thanks

my previous posts:

Tags:
  2. Shogun

umm, for those of us who aren't in the know, can you please say what the joke was?

3. A3-kun

4. Fenix

A. If people are offended, they have the right to complain.

B. Those who are not offended have no place to comment on the matter at all, it does not concern them so ignore it.

Either way, it's so stupid to see type A being all sensitive about it but also adding in "even though i'm not race/religion X" or type B saying "it's not offensive because X and Y".

-_- Kids

5. Key

what was the joke? If it's an insult to asian than screw DB, always liked
    hell-sub..

Is that their sub lags/freeze? I kinda notice when I watch the image kinda freeze for 1 sec.

6. A3-kun

Apparently it was something about Jewish people and/or gay people, whatever. It didn't have that in the file I downloaded. But seeing as I generally find religious and racial jokes amusing, I can safely say I wouldn't really care.

7. Kojiro Ganryu Sasaki

GNAA is an "actual" organization. They spam forums. DB probably has nothing to do with them.

8. Code

As far as I know, when their irc channel used to be open, they seem to be pretty much asian supremecist... at least one of the ops or hops back then... (who knows if he/she is/are actually asian...)...

But basically it's their regular Jew-bashing which I find very annoying in general.
    I believe it was basically "Looking for a translator blah blah jews need not apply."

9. T2004

Jew joke on Bleach 59: "Now recruiting female translators living in the area of DB headquarters. Must send naked pictures. Jews need not apply."

Continued in Naruto 161: "567,249,867 Jews argree this week's special message on Bleach was offensive."

10. Gelantious

This is the Internet, if you takes stuff like this seriously you should really cancel your subscription with your ISP and sell your computer.

You all care about this stuff way to much, your like a frelling soccer mom in the US. As soon as she see's a nipple on TV she freaks (Like Kyle's mom in South Park). For Fuck Sake, lighten up !

11. Niabingi

^im not jewish and im not one to take offence easily... I just think that the joke sound stupid! it makes little sense its not even funny, so then it just becomes lame and totally un-called for...

12. Code

So simpy becuase it's not a physical medium of interacting you can't take anything serious? And if you do take something serious you shouldn't really be using it? Because I'm sure everything related to the internet is one big joke. Every single threatening, degrading, and insulting messages are never to be taken seriously...

It's called pointing out someone's stupidity in making a joke. Especially if it offends someone, by being insulting towards those who 'take it serously'(or as I think, use a brain and iknow that it doesn't matter if its jokingly or not) it's nearly as annoying as the joke itself. There's only so many times before you can use "it's the internet" as an excuse before it gets old.

13. Bobcat1

by the sound of the 2nd message, they obviously meant to offend people, just how South Park and Family Guy does so well. By this thread, they succeeded greatly and are probably laughing at you all now getting all uptight (Don't flame me, because they blatantly are). And as I said in the other thread, they do us a favour that they don't have to do, they most probably don't care for our respect, because, well lets face it, most "Narutard" people demand their subs so quickly they don't deserve it. Let this thread die.

14. kataimiko

ha! I was wondering what the message on the naruto opening meant. I must have completely missed the message at the beginning of Bleach. hmmmm...*goes back to re-watch it* :shifty

People need to calm down and not let DB get to them.

[edit:]

Ok, to everyone who is still a bit lost, here you go:

Bleach episode 59 message:

Spoiler:

Naruto episode 161 message:
    Spoiler:

15. Yamato (Inactive)

It looks like that people are way to nervous, something so small and they are already getting so imposibly angry.

16. Ssj3_Goku

ROFLMAO DB scored again by ticking people off lmao.

seriously if people get offened by this but can watch shows like family guy and what not then thats just basically ignorant.....

DB STILL RULES AND ALLWAYS WILL!

17. Mori`

I didn't notice those because I don't generally watch the opening more than the first few times a new one shows.

The thing is this isn't family guy or south park, you know what you are getting when you watch those shows and everyone knows the whole thing is done in humour.

Here however it carries no relation to the show, its not what people would expect to see here and you can't really tell if its a lame attempt at humour or something serious.

it doesn't affect me but it will affect some people, those who say it won't and is 'only a joke' are those who are 'basically ignorant'

18. MF NaruSimpson

DB is not Family Guy or South Park, people who have watched alot of those show's already understand the sense of humor, and if they don't like it stopped watching cause it's low brow or whatever.

As far as I know it's the second time they made a joke like this and just taking a jab at people, just isn't really cool cause nobody

And for people who say well it's the internet, i can make the argument that it's even worse because it's on the internet. How many Naruto watchers can actually comprehend what makes a joke like that funny? Most Naruto watchers are pretty young, I doubt they can understand it so easily as you say.

Finally, what was so funny about that joke, like I asked before? Who is it aimed at? Is it making fun of the holocaust or ...racism? are the subbers jewish? what's the story? there's no CONTEXT for that joke. Clearly they are making fun of otherjewish or are poking fun at themselves. Don't even get me started on what's wrong with GNAA

edit: while I was typing I got distracted! Moridin you stole my thoughts :laugh

19. Khemical

I could be wrong, but I believe that was what is called a joke. Something said that wasnt meant to be taken literally, rather, said only to make someone laugh. It wasnt a funny joke, but a joke regardless. I really really really hope none of you watch Stand Up Comedy if you found THAT offensive. "Jews need not apply". Thats all that was said, there was no reason given as to why they shouldnt apply, or anything else said that could take that phrase as being negative. "Get real, you know it was meant to be racist" Is that what you're thinking? Remember, it's just a word (in this case phrase), it only means what you make it mean.

Then again I'm the kind of person who never finds anything offensive. Meh.

20. MF NaruSimpson

I watch lots of stand-up, sitcoms, comedy etc..clearly you know what a joke is, and know that wasn't a good joke, if it even was one, which you say but I don't think you can't say with 100% confidence.

Look at the phrase clearly "jews need not apply". You say you don't find things offensive, but have you ever been denied something you wanted, or even denied some respect just for being who you are, and I say this not know ing who you are. That can be very hurtful to people who have been treated badly for being jewish, black,gay,etc.

I'm not saying DB shouldn't make jokes, some of those things were funny when I used to watch. But they should learn what a joke is when you are telling it to, 200,000 or however many d/l there ep now.

21. Mori`

@khemical - the difference is that with stand up comedy you know what your getting, you can tell that everything is going to be done in humour and its generally done well.

However you don;t expect to see that sort of thing in the credits section of an anime where you can;t even be sure that its a joke.

I have no problem with humour, even that which is (in moderation) racially based when its used in the right place/time.

The problem is I think for those who take offence to it, that it is used in a completely wrong place and is being irresponsible.

"Get real, you know it was meant to be racist" is exactly what I'm thinking, I don't see how you can even attempt to defend that it might not have been meant to be offensive, especially considering the follow up message on naruto 161.

22. Code

What annoys me more is people saying "Don't get so uptight over it" or "DB succeeds with pissing people off." In fact the posts here annoy me a lot more than what they put by now.

Pointing out the stupidity of a bunch if immature idiots does not mean you're getting all upset over something.

So I'm sure anything even murder if passed off as a joke is alright to ignore. Or even praise as some people seem to be doing. "Only a Joke" is another excuse ontop of "Only the Internet."

23. Near

That black gai pic or sig is funny, but this isnt? why because one is indirectly making fun of something, and the other is being direct?

24. Amaterasu

It shouldn't be taken seriously, seeing as,

they aren't recruting.
    girls wanting to work with DB don't have to send in nude pictures.

And if you're upset about the jew comment, you should be upset about,

not recruting ugly girls.
    not recruting boys.

25. ChickenPotPie

I find that the fact that you can't tell the difference between pop culture humor and a completely unrelated statement on an anime sub funnier than DB's joke.

Besides, I remember that you defended DB on that whole "Sasuke, Amazing" debate on the subbed versions of 133, even though you were like...proved wrong, so I can probably imagine you defending anything DB does...

26. Khemical

The difference to your little theory here is the worst case scenario is if someone takes that joke the wrong way (which people obviously are) then feel offended. It's just words, like I said, you yourself determine how you feel after reading those words. Comparing reading words as a joke (and it clearly is a joke, even though a racist one at that) vs comparing murder passed off as a joke are 2 things that arent even in the same ballpark. A person can just as easily be offended reading the word bitch, damn, hell, or any other curse word, yet people dont flip out over it. DB makes a joke (again, a terrible one at that) that does imply racism but clearly doesnt direclty state anything).

The please send in naked pictures part alone obviously means it's a joke, no one, NO ONE can honestly read that and think they are being serious. That still doesnt mean it's appropriate to throw in that comment, no doubt. I'm not defneding DB in anyway. One, they could have put a joke up that was actually funny. And two, a joke can be perfectly funny without any swearing or racist comments. Still, I can't help but question how much people would care if that same exact phrase was used with a different gender and or race.

I understand that, and you are right, in a place where it's totally unexpected it would raise the question of whether they were being serious or not. But in all honesty, reading please send in naked pics should instantly be a dead giveaway that it's a joke. I didnt watch Naruto 161, I have no clue what was said, that could totally change my viewpoint depending on what was said. However, what was said was without a doubt clearly a joke, the Jews need not apply was directly reffering to sending in naked pics for a job which was a joke, which raises the question how serious should we take that comment?

I'll butt out of this one, I'm the kind of person who can get called every racial slur in the book and I would laugh at it, I've never heard a joke that has made me felt uneasy or offended. I've always seen it as it's nothing but words, it means only what you make it mean. Theres no point in me trying to argue against or defend something I cannot understand.

27. Code

Rregardless of if they're being serious or not, doesn't take out their display of a certain hate and very very annoying "popular" bashing of Jews. (They constnatly due it as I've noted when their irc channel used to be open and I was on there. As I also pointed out another form of racism present in the people of the groups in a earlier post. Racists would obviously joke about whatever they hate in an offending way....). So it doesn' tmatter if it's a joke or not. Jews need not apply was obviously poking fun at Jews.

So regardless of if its serious or wheter they're racist or not(I couldn't care less), it was still a stupid joke. Of course by labelling an offensive joke as stupid, people who may share their opinion on that matter will obviously insult those who "Take it seriously." (Or in other words, not find it funny, because we all know we all have to share the same tasteless humor as you.)

28. Feri

well this makes DB the coolest Fansubing group out there. Coz i dont know any other group who makes jokes like that in there fansubs.

ps. DB is not nazi...

29. Khemical

Yep, thats my tasteless humor, not only did I state several times their joke was not funny and hinted racism, but you apparantly arent bright enough to read that, and in turn toss in a nice comment at the end. Bravo, I applaud you. Free tip, if you're going to insult someone, at least make sure you dont contradict yourself doing it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  30. Shogun

how many jews have actually complained on this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.