1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

Deku actually worked for it

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Izuku, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Izuku Wild Weeaboo

Been seeing some people say Deku was a lazy fanboi in some threads. :C Makes me 99% sure the people saying this either forgot the first five episodes or have not read / watched My Hero Academia at all.

I'm just waiting for somebody to say the screeching protag from Black Clover did more than Deku.

But anyway. This is a small essay of what Deku actually did to try and achieve his goal before ever meeting All Might or getting a quirk. Just to prove he wasn't entirely just a fanboy waiting to get superpowers.

What Deku did was: Research.

One of the core things that set Izuku aside from his classmates is the fact he understands quirks from a superior mental perspective. Before he got a quirk, our small protag was keeping a detailed book that listed Hero's, their quirks, and how they worked. This gave Deku a prior knowledge into the hero world before even entering U.A; though from a fanboy outlook.

But what makes this actually a decent effort that paid off for Deku is the fact that he developed an analytical mind when it came to studying quirks. He is able to decipher their strengths, weaknesses, and some applications sooner and better than any of his classmates due to this.

We learn that Izuku did this in order to help himself in the only way he couldn't due to his quirklessness. Mentally instead of physically. This is because unlike Black Clover's main, doing tons of exercise won't give you the power to smash brick walls and floors apart.

Inevitably. Izuku focused on increasing his book smarts over physical strength since that was all he could do without a quirk to what was drilled into him.

So. I propose that Izuku is a closer to home character this way. Cause not everybody has a chance of being great through athletics. Just look at how many people make it to the NBA or MLB.

But what everybody can be; is intelligent.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Tags:
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Studying is important, that will certainly help.

While its needed to make the series as good as it is, I have actively suppressed the thoughts of Deku not really preparing to be a hero. Being a hero is a incredible physical position, even doing patrol can be tiring, let alone saving people or fighting villains. Deku was trying to get into the most elite hero academy and he was so out of shape before All Might came along. I don't understand what he was trying to accomplish by being so out of shape. To put into perspective, he was the lowest scoring person out of the entire class physically, and he got a decent score on the ball tossing.

The people who got higher then him, Invisable, Kirishima, Koda, Kaminari, and Jirou, all of them wouldn't have had quirks to make them score super well in general, this is after All Might trained him for 10 months. Every other person in the class was in better shape physically, they had been preparing for this.

Of course I think the story is way more compelling with Deku being so weak in the beginning, but the implications of him not having done any training can sour a mood, so I actively suppress it.

3. Izuku Wild Weeaboo

I understand your point. But I propose an alternative.

It wasn't exactly that Deku was physically weak. But the fact he was entirely new to his quirk, and had no understanding of how to apply it; unlike his peers.

He was out of shape at the start. But by the time the entrance exam came around.. he was in top physical condition. But thats not enough, since the test was designed for people with quirks and ones they could actively use.

4. Tayimus Number One

Where exactly were you seeing these criticisms of Deku? Can you quote them?

5. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Yeah, but the thing is, that there are people who didn't have quirks that would help them on the test. Invisable girl, what advantage did her invisibility give her? Kirishima just hardens himself, Kaminari's just shoots electricity, Koda could probably summon a animal to help him, but I don't think he could have called anything but maybe some birds to help him. I can't think of any application of Jirou's quirk that would help her out physically. All of them scored higher then Deku and Deku still managed a decent score on the ball throw.

I mean mineta has physical uses for his quirk, he bounces off of his hair balls. Could be used to jump higher or move faster, we saw what he did for side steps. Momo got first place because she kept building machines to help her, everyone mentioned above doesn't have those kinds of uses for their quirk.

6. Izuku Wild Weeaboo

I kind've wonder if some of their numbers were just sort of thrown in for enhancing the drama of Deku scoring the worst. Toru couldn't have taken any of them out with strength, most likely just with avoiding them and somehow managing to disable a few.

But I don't understand where you're coming from though. I actually doubt any of the students other than maybe Bakugou, Iida, and or Kirishima did any training as rigorous as the one All Might assigned Izuku. Physically alone you would fail. None of them could deal anything strong enough to damage those steel robots without a quirk enhancement.

There just wasn't anything Deku could have done in terms of physical training to get himself on their level without a quirk

Izuku used his quirk on the ball throw tho. Which is why he did decently on it.

7. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

I'm not talking about the robots, its probably easy to forget, but all the 1-a students took a physical exam on the first day at U.A. It was a series of physical tests, between sprinting, long jumps, ball throwing, grip strength, they were all allowed to use their quirks. Deku started at the bottom, even below Mineta and the other people who had quirks that wouldn't help them in these tests.

8. Tayimus Number One

He's talking about the physical exam in the very first line of the post you quoted, though...

EDIT: Ah, never mind.

9. Fry J Vigilant

Deku had a late start. He had to build himself up from ground zero and I like that. Even if he was physically stronger BOS he'd still be handicapped and blowing up limbs.
    Didn't Deku blow up his finger first then had to go through the rest of the exam?

10. Tayimus Number One

The ball-throw was either the last or second-to-last exercise.

11. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

For the record, I don't think anyone trained harder then Deku did during the 10 months, but Deku only has 10 months to his name. Everyone else has likely been training for a lot longer.

Sprint, grip strength, long jumps, side steps had already been tested before the ball toss, upper body strength, endurance run and seated toe touch had not been tested yet. Upper body strength is the only one that would have required Deku's finger, I guess the toe touch but its inconsequential.

12. KingofNone A leader with no followers

It was trial 5/8. I think it's really weird he did so poorly considering how in shape he is.

13. Fry J Vigilant

I mean he was still injured in comparison to everyone else and Aizawa wanted to force him to finish. We don't really know how Aizawa graded them in the end. I mean wasn't he testing quirk control? Physically I doubt Momo is even the strongest girl.

14. luffy no haki 1st seat

My intake in this was that a part of himself had already given up on being a hero until he met all might. AMs answer was gonna be the deciding factor between him keeping the struggle or abandon himself. And then what we all know happened.

I mean as much as research helps, how did he plan on being a hero without having anything in his arsenal? no quirk, no physical condition, no martial arts. Heck, he didnt even go out jogging before that.

15. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

I don't think it was that weird, 10 months is still newbie, he was on a hardcore workout but he still only had only been working on it for less then a year. The story isn't really saying Deku was lazy before he started training, but the implications of having not trained before All Might do not look very good. Its like saying "I'm going to Harvard, I'm going to cram for 10 months straight and get a scholarship".

16. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

No, it as a clear cut quirk practicality test. Momo wasn't physically the strongest, but she was allowed to build what ever she wanted, for the ball throw she could make a canon, for the long jump she could jump with her poll for the sprint she could have made a bicycle.

The point I am making is that the kids with quirks that wouldn't help them in these tests still scored higher, even the girls like Jirou and invisible girl. Deku is behind physically, he is starting from the bottom, everyone else had been training.

U.A. isn't just some highschool, its the most elite Hero Academy, everyone had been training to get in. There were 40 spots, they were competing among thousands of other students to get in, you had to be competitive to get in.

17. Fry J Vigilant

My point is Aizawa's final rankings didn't make any sense. You could practically cheat. Aoyoma who is trash athletics placed 14th. He didn't even run. lol
    The test was clearly skewed against Deku for tension. We don't know how hard the others students trained pre-entrance exams but I can't see Kaminari or Mineta putting in more effort or sacrificing more than Deku.

18. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

The cheating was the point, he wanted to see how well you could do with your quirks, you know, practicality. For the people who didn't have quirks that let them cheat, they had to compete with their own physical strength. I don't think Mineta was physically stronger then Deku, he has actual physical uses for his quirk, he still scored low.

I don't think anyone trained harder then Deku during the 10 months, not even Shouto or Bakugo, however these guys have been training it for way longer, Deku is still a newbie at this point and he is competing with the most motivated and talented students his age.

19. luffy no haki 1st seat

Lol cheating, aizawa especifically told them to use their quirks if possible. Theres no point in wasting time running when you can reach it with a single leap in less time.

20. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

There are a lot of people out there that think any plot hole or contrivance makes a series bad and I disagree. Deku could have been training all his life for it, Bakugo could have hated Deku thinking he could get into U.A. without a quirk by training physically and One For All could have required a greater deal of physical strength and control and the series would not be any better then it currently is.

People like this are like the people who during a "would you rather x or x" question and would come up with the most elaborate way to negate the downsides, they completely ruin the fun of the original question.

21. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

Deku and his cousin Asta are hard workers :iria

22. Fry J Vigilant

I think the Aizawa test is bullshit. It doesn't make much sense looking back on the results and where the kids are now:kanyeshrug
    --
    Thinking about it Deku definitely came in last because he injured himself. In comparison to Hagakure and Mineta who can casually use their quirks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  23. Extravlad Well-Known Member

France
    Deku is a beta male protagonist.
    The only good thing about him is when he goes ham and wreck his body with OfA

24. Superman Well-Known Member

I just do not get what people are not getting what Xiammes is saying or are arguing about. He did not do anything to physically get himself ready. People in the exams also had quirks that could not have helped them with any of the exams. He was weaker then all of them. And by the next time they tried their exams we know that their quirk power hardly went up.

I mean damn look at Stein. In order for his quirk to be be great he had to get into great shape.

25. Fry J Vigilant

Yeah Deku got last place because he was the only one to injure himself. I don't see how Aoyoma, Mineta, and Hagakure were physically above Deku at any point. Everybody only excelled at one event each and the ball throw Deku did better than most. He failed because the whole test was about quirk control was my point.

26. Tayimus Number One

That's why I wasn't gonna waste my time. You either see the logical argument, or you don't.

27. Fry J Vigilant

Some of you think BOS Deku was weaker than Mineta :wow

28. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

He reminds me a lot of Tsuna from Hitman Reborn

29. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

He did tho, Deku only picked up AFTER he had an option presented to him.

30. Tayimus Number One

Hmmm to be completely honest, Deku and Aster did one-half of what they could have done to prepare themselves. Deku did research, Aster did physical training. It just makes less sense for Deku not to do physical training for what is a physical career.

A caveat with Aster, though, is that since he was dirt poor and out in West Bubblefuck, he most likely did not have access to knowledge of different forms of magic...