1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

Denis Villenueve's "Dune"

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by Stunna, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Stunna Fix your hearts or die Retired Staff

Some excellent news for sci-fi fans: director Denis Villeneuve, of Arrival and Sicario fame, is officially signed up to direct the upcoming Dune reboot. The news was by Brian Herbert, son of Frank Herbert, who wrote the original 1965 Dune novel. The news was rumored , but not confirmed until this morning.

Legendary Pictures bought the TV and film rights to Dune from the Herbert estate last year, but details about either project are pretty thin. Dune’s last adaptation on film was in 1984, with a title directed by David Lynch and featuring Kyle MacLachlan as Paul Atreides (MacLachlan would later go on to star in Lynch’s Twin Peaks).

The 1984 film was critically panned and lost money at the box office, but the source material has never lost its allure to fans. Having Villeneuve on board to direct the reboot certainly bodes well following the smash-hit that was Arrival. And there’ll be more from the French-Canadian director this year too — he’s behind the Blade Runner reboot starring Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling, out this October.

Tags:
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Stringer ◤ prƟsperity ◢

Villenneuve is someone you can always count on to deliver something that won't leave you indifferent

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. Ae Well-Known Member

I knew this would happen sooner or later

4. Stunna Fix your hearts or die Retired Staff

5. Stringer ◤ prƟsperity ◢

nice save :handshake

6. RAGING BONER Rape Culture Enthusiast

i liked Sicario and even Arrival despite being chick flicks so i'll give this the benefit of the doubt...

let's pray it doesn't end up like John Carter of Mars

7. Unicornsilovethem They're so fluffy!

I must not fear, the spice must flow, long live the fighters, etc.

I've no idea who this guy is or what to expect, so wake me up when there's actual solid stuff to get excited about.

8. Ceria Chessie System

I just hope it ends up being more like the Sci-fi miniseries and less like the original movie. That sound attack as the weirding way was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

9. Bubyrd Ratcatcher absolute Jushin

Dune is really hard to adapt into a movie. It does have a tricky religion and politics arent simple to explain.
    With the current crisis in Syria, Harkonnen Trump as murika president.. it won't be easy to stay politically correct without spoling the harsh tone of the books.
    Good luck to Villeneuve tho, he is a great choice.

10. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish Moderator

12. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish Moderator

13. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

It will probably bomb, but I'm excited. I know jack shit about "Dune", as I've never read the book or even seen the movie, but I know about it and it sounds interesting. Denis Villeneuve is probably the most talented director in Hollywood.

14. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

A very nice choice indeed. If it is as good as some of his previous movies, then we are in for a treat. But unfortunately I will agree with MartialHorror that it won't do that well commercially.