1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

devil may cry manga

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by isanon, Nov 16, 2005.

1. isanon

does anyone know where i can find it ??i realy want to read it and i know it exists cus i saw it in a comercial newspaper but i have to order it from uk if i want to buy it and that would be a bit expensive :(

Tags:
  2. Lord Yu

I've seen the american comic but never the manga. I am curious

3. isanon

well the wrighters name is Suguro Chayamachi (dam that took a looooong time to wright) and it doesnt sound very american to me :p besides the volume on the pic (nr1) was in the manga section of the newspaper (wich displayes mostly fantasy books so it can be wrong)

4. Kaki

I saw in in my local Barns and Nobels about a week ago, and I don't live in a large city....
    It was rather violent.......

5. isanon

i live in a smal city in a smle country where manga is hard to find if you dont whant that crappy manga there they play with cards :/

6. Lord Yu

There's an american comic realeased by Udon comics I think. I dont know if its still going on.

7. isanon

hmm where can i get it ?? its not like i can afford to order it from us :p

8. Windy

I bought it a while ago... Beautiful art, not-so-great plot (But I guess it's because I never played the game), and there's something seriously weird about the text... Very wordy... I'm suspecting it got overly adapted, kinda like Viz's translation of Naruto. XD
    If anyone knows where I can download the RAW for comparision, I'd appreciate it. XP

(BTW, I searched for other works by the artist, Chayamachi, and apparently she's primarily a yaoi artist. XDD)

9. Mukuro

Okay... You guys have probably found out about this by now: Sidoro

I think you can get some of the Japanese raw from this location.

Devil May Cry 3, I bought it as soon as I saw it in the shop and got straight into it.

I've played the PS2 games DMC and DMC2 (clocking both) but haven't had the time to do the same for DMC3 so I decided to read the manga instead.

Quite a confusing story to me, but then again I've only read it like twice.

I intend to collect all the volumes that come out.

Volume 2 is code 2: "Vergil" and I'm still waiting for that to be released.

It's very graphic.

I recommend it! :)

EDIT:
    Don't knock Yu-Gi-Oh! The game is excellent:amuse

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  10. Windy

HA, I KNEW IT!!
    I just hate it when comics companies adapt the translation like that!!
    Example: (The examples are from the scanlation, guessing that the translation there is more direct)

Scanlation: H-help me already!
    Tokyopop version: I wish I were drunk right now! But these creeps showed up before I could even start!

Scanlation: Hahahahahaha!!
    Tokyopop: Stock up on the proteins girls! The three of us got a long night comin'!

Scanlation: Like I'd know!
    Tokyopop: Since when did the guy packin' heat become the one that has to spill the beans huh?!

Scanlation: Ask the client yourself or continue staying obedient ike that.
    Tokyopop: Maybe you should ask the psychotic demon you set me up with! Either that, or close that cavity factory you call a mouth! Yeah, that's relax my trigger. Finger a bunch.
    (That was one of the most obvious adaptaions. it was a pretty small word bubble, and all this text was crammmed in. Also, in a manga, this kind of text wouldn't be in one word bubble, but in several... Well actually, you don't see this kind of text in a manga at all XD )

Also, the plot was altered a bit at some point (The whole demons valuing purity and giving the girl what she wants bit), but that would be just too much to write. >_>

And there's A LOT more like that.... :S
    It's not that it's THAT annoying, not as much as with the Naruto translation, but I believe a translator's job is to translate, not write whatever the hell he thinks the text should be or try to make it more 'witty'.
    And besides, they made it really obvious, with large amounts of text being crammed into small word-baloons... :oh

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  11. Mukuro

Lol... I never noticed this... Interesting...

The adaptations aren't that bad though.

It does make the story slightly more interesting in my opinion...

The only bad thing would be if they were to mess with the plot.

12. Kaki

13. Rinali

wow, I'm off yo that site

or maybe not...:sad

14. RodMack

i've played every DMC game. DMC was good, DMC2 was a disappointment, and DMC3 totally kicked ass. when i heard that a manga for DMC3 was being released, i decided to get the manga. i really liked it after reading reading it. looks a bit different from the game, but there are familiar characters.

15. GeniusShikamaru

Seems people that read it havent played 3. and people that played 3 havent found this. The story makes perfect sense if you you have played DMC 1 and 3 at least the beginning parts. I just bought the volume yesterday. And I do not think its "too wordy". If anything scanlations are done by fans not pros. So they try to simplify things cuz trying to write in the sense it was made would be to confusing for them. Dante in DMC3 is very wordy talkin' alot of smack usually to demons that dont even respond. And Arkham does talk all weird and in riddles if you played DMC3 you'd know that. I guess being used to scanlations have rotten minds.