1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Dhampir

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by martryn, Nov 9, 2005.

1. martryn Dick in hand

Thought I'd make a thread about a series of books I have recently gotten into at my friend's recommendation.

I believe the series is called the Noble Dead, which is what the authors, Barb and J.C. Hendee (a husband a wife, or wife and husband in this case, duo) call intelligent undead like vampires, ghosts, wraiths, and stuff like that.

Curently the series has three books, Dhampir, Thief of Life, and Sister of the Dead. The books are being hailed as a cross between Lord of the Rings and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They are definately fantasy genre, but come off with a darker feel to them than most fantasy, since the books do revolve around a trio of vampire hunters. The world is surprisingly complex and much is hinted at, making me very much anticipate the release of the fourth novel in the series.

The books follow the story of Magiere, Leesil, and Chap. Magiere is a half-Vampire created for the sole purpose of hunting undead, a calling she neither likes or, at first, is apparently any good at. In fact, the books start out with her and her half-elf partner, Leesil, who was trained as an assassin by his elven mother, traveling the country side preying on the weak-minded villagers who think that they are hunting "vampires", when in fact its just a bunch of ritual and flare of Magiere "killing" Leesil. Chap, Leesil's wolfhound, who seems at times to be smarter than either of the two, rounds out the trio.

The first book, Dhampir, has Magiere buying an inn to settle down, as she no longer wants to play the game and fool villagers. Leesil and Chap tag along to the small coastal village of Miiska where things start off well. But little do they know the three actually bought an inn in the only town that also houses three vampire business men, a fact that becomes much less coincidental as the story goes on. Now forced to hunt vampires for real, something she's never done before, Magiere must also come face to face with the reality that she's got some bad blood in her as well.

The second book, Thief of Lives, takes Magiere, Leesil, and Chap out of Miiska and to the capitol city to hunt a vampire killer who targets noble families. None of the three much want to go, but the money is too good to refuse. This book concentrates more on Leesil's own past.

The third book, Sister of the Dead, has Magiere searching for her past and the events that led up to her rather unusual birth as the offspring of vampire and human.

Tags:
  2. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

This sounds rather interesting. I love LOTR, I love Buffy (up until Dawn appears, that is), and Dhampirs have intrigued me ever since I saw Vampire Hunter D almost 10 years ago.

I may just have to pick this up along with A Feast For Crows when I head over to B&N this week :D

3. martryn Dick in hand

Definately a good recommendation for you, j, as my friend also liked Buffy and Vampire Hunter D.

The books read like traditional paperback fantasy, but they have a real gothic feel to them. It starts out feeling like the novel is set in medieval Romania or something. And although it looks like elves and dwarves and other "fantasy" creatures exist in the world, not only do they not play much of a part in the story (yet), it even seems like some people don't think they exist.

And while there is magic and sorcery, it isn't what you would expect in a fantasy novel, and isn't flashy, being much more akin to Gandalf's use of magic in the Lord of the Rings.

And another real cool thing is the way the authors make reference to the various abilities and weaknesses of a vampire. Even the vampires themselves are unsure of what their abilities are. Just because the novel focuses on the trio of hunters doesn't mean that there aren't whole chapters devoted to seeing things through the eyes of the vampires, and it starts to become really hard to distinguish between who is good and who is evil. The way the vampires view themselves and their world makes the reader really sympathetic to them. They aren't monsters at all, despite the brutality they are capable of inflicting.

4. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

The parts bolded here remind me of A Song of Ice and Fire, a series which I honestly think you would love, Marty. Tell you what: I promise to buy book one of this series this month. You should try to lay hands on A Game of Thrones (A Song og Fire and Ice, Book I)--I promise you will enjoy it :D

5. martryn Dick in hand

Its a deal. I've heard alot about those recently, and came across them in my search for a book a few weeks ago. I'll pick those up the weekend of the 18th.

6. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

:hi5

I will post my review of the first book from this series once I've read it, and if it is particularly good (and I can somehow put it down :p), I will post chapter reactions along the way to my full review.

I am stoked! /book nerd mode initiated

7. acidzerox On a mission from God...

Hey Martryn, you know that the next book is due out this January. You can read a sample of it at their website. I think it's nobeldead.com. These are really cool books. I get totally involved with the characters. I read the last one in two days. I even considered skipping class to finish it.

8. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

Well, I now have Dhampir in my possession. I've only read the Prologue and part of Chapter 1 thus far, but Magiere seems to be quite an interesting character. She apparently starts out at a serious disadvantage (hint: the creature from the prologue has more acute senses, it seems), but like all heroes, she will definitely have some tricks up her sleeves and get stronger as these stories progress. I can't wait to see how she handles things. :spaz

9. martryn Dick in hand

Its cool in that she never really becomes uber powerful. You never become afraid for her because she's the main character, but at the same time she's always slightly awkward with what she's doing, as if she's unaccustomed to it. She struggles as much with the current foes as she did with the first.

And another thing that's cool is that the enemies are totally relatable. You never hate them and sometimes you're rooting for them to live.

10. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I am on chapter 7 now, and I am still liking it a whole lot. Chap is awesome, Leesil is cool as hell, and all in all, I look forward to what is going to happen with Magiere's "new life" which is, of course, bound to not go as planned. XD

11. martryn Dick in hand

Reading that really made me want to buy a tavern. I really liked the feel of the place they had. I think some places I know could use an old fashion tavern.

12. acidzerox On a mission from God...

We shall open a tavern Martryn. Come on, it'll be fun.
    On topic though. I can't wait for the next in the series. I loved the first one and think it was done wonderfully. You like all the characters, evil or not, and pull for the good guys but only because they're just a little bit cooler. The fact the Magiere's not really sure what she is or what Leesil is or what Chap is. It's great. It gets better and better.

13. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I finished book 1, and I am definitely going to buy book 2 sooner or later.

I need to know more about Leesil. I need to know more about Chap. I need to know more about Giles Welstiel!!! O_O

@Marty: I was thinking...is there any way that we could trade books? I think it would be cheaper to just ship you all the Ice and Fire books, and for you to send me the Dhampir series.

I don't know if that is feasible, since we would eventually want our books back, but it would work for me. :D Something to think about, I guess. :p

/probably won't happen, since we are both too lazy.

14. martryn Dick in hand

Yes, let's. Maybe now you'll let me show you my plans for the bar I was drawing up.

Leesil and Chap become awesome in the second book. The second book really starts describing more of who Leesil is and we get our first definative look at the coolness of Chap, who is indeed much more than he seems.

How much does it cost to send things to California? There are only two books in the series you haven't read. How many books are in the Ice and Fire series? I'm game if you are.

15. acidzerox On a mission from God...

I think the third book is my favorite so far...it's all about Chap and margiere. I read it in like two days I just couldn't put it down.

To martryn: You have plans and you've never shown me! I feel so, so....well, now you can show me. I still think that Pizza Hut on Rodgers would be perfect.

16. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

No idea. Go to your local UPS store or whatever shipping store you have out there and ask them.

That's fine. As long as shipping it back to you costs less than the actual books will, I am game, too. I guess I should look into this XD

There are 5 in the series so far, and they're all long. So that might be a pretty penny to ship back and forth. Again. We should figure out how much this will cost before we finalize this transaction xD

17. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I'm about 150 pages into the second book, Thief of Lives. It is getting very interesting now :-O.

I really want to see a picture of Leesil's blades. They sound badass!

Thanks again for the recommend, guys. :-)

18. martryn Dick in hand

j, here's a pic from the authors themselves.

19. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

Wow. Those winged blades would be like a whirlwind. O_O

I can't say how effective they would be in real life, against trained swordsmen, but they sure are cool to think about XD

*envisions a Star Wars Kid scenario with those winged blades*

20. martryn Dick in hand

No damnit! The image!

Actually, I don't know about the width of the punching dagger part, but the wings themselves is a great idea. In the knife fighting seminars I've been to we were told to fight with blades pointing toward the forearm. Great blocking tool, and you can attack and defend in one movement. I'm actually toying around with my sword and drawing it with an inverted grip with the blade pointing the opposite direction and I think I'd be more comfortable with it that way.

21. AyameKitsune Beginner Kunoichi

Hello...I'm kinda lost...-_-

22. martryn Dick in hand

7 hours later and what can I help you with?

23. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I've now finished Thief of Lives a little over a week ago and I loved it. Aside from the obvious intrigue involving Chap and his story, and Leesil his various elf-related drama, I must say, Welstiel is quite an interesting character! O_O

I can't wait to get to book 3 and learn more about Chap and Leesil! And maybe Welstiel, too? :hopeful

Note: I went to a Barnes and Nobles to get book 3 a while back. They were out! :cry

24. martryn Dick in hand

Book four is out in hardcover. I'm going to wait until it comes out in paperback before I buy it. I'm finally ready to buy those fire/ice whatever books you were recommending. I should have them within the week.

I don't think book III was as good as book two, but its a good stepping stone book. It sorta brings alot of things together and answers some questions. Still a good read. I'm just hoping they'll end it by book 6. I'd hate the series to get windy and start losing momentum. It happens with the best of series, *cough* *cough* Wheel of Time *cough*

25. Spooky_Bunny ...

Dhampirn is a good book indeed

26. Spooky_Bunny ...

...Dhampir...typo sorry

27. acidzerox On a mission from God...

Martryn...I wouldn't wait. I'm almost done with the fourth one. It freak'n rocks. I can't tell if Traitor to the Blood is for Leesil, Chap or Margiere? It is really, really good. There are new characters that belong to a mountian people that can i think maybe shapshift into cats. See Martryn, aren't you glad I told you about these books?....and you never even thanked me..... sadness. I think the third book was really good. It tied up some questions about Margiere and told us about the old creatures of their world. The fourth one kinda fills us in on what Welstiel is looking for. Chain is like borderline crazy now as well but I have no clue if it lasts or when or if he'll change back. I liked his character.

I need to get a new book series once I finish this book. I was thinking The Crimson Sword or Something. What do you guys recomend?

28. acidzerox On a mission from God...

Just finished Traitor to the Blood a few days ago......awesome. I don't want to ruin anything but um....yeah....it's getting good.

29. Nakor Active Member

i finished Dhampir the other day and i really liked it. I like how there are so many secrets that the characters and the reader don't know. it keeps things interesting. i've already ordered the 2nd book to the series.

30. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

@AZX: I recommend George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire. Trust me on this one, you'll LOVE it! :love