• Come enter in this week's GotW and PotW!
    Deadline for both contests is February 28 at 9 pm UTC.

• Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Diablo II: the 20th Anniversary

DemonDragonJ

you can't hurry love
This year is the 20th anniversary of Diablo II, the second installment in Blizzard Entertainment’s Diablo video game series, and certainly one of the greatest video games ever made.

First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of making such a thread, because I did not realize that that game was so old.

If Nintendo and DOS games were the games of my childhood, Blizzard games, especially this one, were the games of my adolescence; I cannot recall how many hours I spent playing this game, but they were hours that were well-spent, since this game never failed to provide an exciting and novel experience. Very few other games that I have played have ever had such great replay value.

I would not say that Diablo II is my favorite video game, ever, but it is definitely in my top ten, because it simply contains such a great amount of awesome content and helps the player to feel immersed in the game world.

The original Diablo was certainly an excellent game, in its own right, but its controls and gameplay could be slow and unwieldy, at times; however, Diablo II definitely improved upon the original with gameplay that was far smoother and easier to understand, and even more impressive was the fact that even one of Diablo II’s five acts was nearly as large as the entire game of the original. However, there was also a contrast between the atmosphere of the two games; the original game was very dark and grim, and made the player feel as if they were exploring a small town with a dark secret and truly descending into hell, but the sequel was more of an epic fantasy quest, as the player traveled across five different realms in pursuit of the titular character; the sequel certainly had dark and grim moments, but none as dark as the original, although that is not to say that the sequel is in any way inferior to the original; it simply is different.

Of the seven classes in the game, my favorite is likely the assassin, since I was a student of the martial arts, at one time, and her playing style most appeals to me.

For the 20th anniversary of this game, it would have been great if Blizzard had remastered it, as they did for both Starcraft and Warcraft III, but it seems that they are not interested in that, unfortunately.

What does everyone else say about this? What are your thoughts about this year being the 20th anniversary of Diablo II?

AgentAAA

The Emperor's will
its definitely pretty good. I'm honestly happy remastering did not happen with how Ballzard handled WC3 remastered so very badly, so I'm pretty neutral on that, but I am glad people remember this little loot simulator. Diablo 1 is my favorite, but this is a close second for very different reasons.

DemonDragonJ

you can't hurry love
its definitely pretty good. I'm honestly happy remastering did not happen with how Ballzard handled WC3 remastered so very badly, so I'm pretty neutral on that, but I am glad people remember this little loot simulator. Diablo 1 is my favorite, but this is a close second for very different reasons.

Yes, many players seem to have that opinion, as well; in their early days, when they were still underdogs, Blizzard was dark and edgy (in a good way), but, now that they are mainstream, their games are largely composed of in-jokes, memes, and pop culture references.

MarF

Ostarrichi
Even if the remaster will be done badly, which it won't from what I've seen and heard, mods will allegedly still be allowed and in some ways even made easier and SP still won't require a battle.net connection. Worst case the community will just adapt the good stuff, like the new graphics and fix the rest with plugy and co.

Seeing the light and shadow effects from the trailer when the sorc used her Lightning, I can't wait to play a LF Javazon.

Fuck, I haven't felt this hyped up for a game in well over a decade. Looks like I'm gonna be playing D2 for at least another 18 years or so.

Wolfarus

Mrgrgr
I'm going to wait and see how the reviews pan out. I absolutely loved the original, and spent a cple years playing it, but I have plenty of other games to keep me preoccupied in the meantime. (7dtd, grim dawn, valheim..and hytale might turn out to be awesome)

Nemesis

The Sith Lord

Wc3 was pretty much an out of house project that got messed about and listened to too many whiners. It was never going to work when you had them trying to say yes to both those that wanted new cinematic to fit the theme and those that were #nochanges group that pushed classic.

With D2 I have 0 worries. This game is being developed by the same team that did crash trilogy remaster/remake (not sure which it actually is) and the Tony Hawks rebuild a few months back. They were moved to blizzard especially for D2 rebirth.

Deathbringerpt

Dreamer of Possibilities
Not a fan of the in-game visuals *at all* but at least this team seems to have a clear idea what they want instead of your typical modern Blizzard wishy washy aimless direction where nothing they do feels like they trust themselves. Plus they're not trying to erase the original like they did with WC3 AND they let you switch between the original and updated visuals. Not only aren't they greedy shits, they're also giving you options. It was literally the easiest thing in the world rip a wet fart better than WC3 Reforged but that's the way to do it.

Diablo 2's cinematics are still my favorite to this day. They have the best atmosphere, voice acting and sound/music. It was completely distinct from Blizzard's Warcraft side. Since they're remaking them from the ground-up, I'm mildly curious to see how they turn out. LoD's final cinematic is the exception, it kinda looks like shit and it's mostly "rule of cool" so a remade version wouldn't be bad.

Last edited:

Pilaf

The Man in the Rain
Imagine giving money for a slick, modern Diablo II

This post brought to you by Path of Exile gang.

AgentAAA

The Emperor's will
Wc3 was pretty much an out of house project that got messed about and listened to too many whiners. It was never going to work when you had them trying to say yes to both those that wanted new cinematic to fit the theme and those that were #nochanges group that pushed classic.

With D2 I have 0 worries. This game is being developed by the same team that did crash trilogy remaster/remake (not sure which it actually is) and the Tony Hawks rebuild a few months back. They were moved to blizzard especially for D2 rebirth.
The original classic team is out, you've got people who've never developed in blizz before, And for all the things of 'it's too many whiners'...

You had a menu literally built in chrome. you had an aggressive set of rules added into battle.net. YOu had numerous features just gone that are in classic warcraft 3. There are a bunch of problems with warcraft 3 remastered and a lot of them have nothing to do with the classic vs. remastered.

MarF

Ostarrichi
tried playing the og d2
fucks up the computer resolution heavy

That's a fairly common bug. Installing Sven's Glide Wrapper usually fixes these kind of issues, running the game in windowed mode can also help.

Running the game in compatibility mode(windows xp) and as administrator is also recommended.

TYPE-Rey

No, not that Rey.
Not a fan of the in-game visuals
Tbh, i think this is a problem for the ARPG sub genre as a whole.

Aside from the OG Diablo and 2 which had a clear aesthetic which got integrated really well in the game with the limited tech at the time but aside from that ... i can't really name any ARPG that looks good...

Grim Dawn ? Awesome game but it looks like ass .
Path of Exile ? It looks like a failed attempt to simulate the aesthetics of D2.
Diablo 3 ? I don't think i need to say anything about that..i mean if you're into the cartoony WOW graphics that's one thing, but i don't think you could say that Diablo 3 was a good looking game even at release , not to mention the contrast with the first two games and its own cinematics.
Torchilight ? Bleah...

Titan Quest looks alright i guess but they never went ham with the architecture or designs...

In any case D2 Rebirth kinda looks like PoE imo which is funny considering the context of "who's copying who " .

Deathbringerpt

Dreamer of Possibilities
Tbh, i think this is a problem for the ARPG sub genre as a whole.

Aside from the OG Diablo and 2 which had a clear aesthetic which got integrated really well in the game with the limited tech at the time but aside from that ... i can't really name any ARPG that looks good...

Grim Dawn ? Awesome game but it looks like ass .
Path of Exile ? It looks like a failed attempt to simulate the aesthetics of D2.
Diablo 3 ? I don't think i need to say anything about that..i mean if you're into the cartoony WOW graphics that's one thing, but i don't think you could say that Diablo 3 was a good looking game even at release , not to mention the contrast with the first two games and its own cinematics.
Torchilight ? Bleah...

Titan Quest looks alright i guess but they never went ham with the architecture or designs...

In any case D2 Rebirth kinda looks like PoE imo which is funny considering the context of "who's copying who " .

ARPGs overall needs to have a low enough fidelity since they want the broadest playerbase possible so art direction needs to carry the game. I admit I didn't play much of the genre beyond Diablo and Titan Quest so I'm not really opinionated on this.

What I do know is that this realistic take on the one aspect that was extremely stylized in world of Diablo, the classes, is fucking horrid. The Assassin, Amazon, Paladin and Necromancer all look like middle aged cosplayers trying to look badass. It's baffling. How hard is it to make something grounded yet cool?

TYPE-Rey

No, not that Rey.
What I do know is that this realistic take on the one aspect that was extremely stylized in world of Diablo, the classes, is fucking horrid. The Assassin, Amazon, Paladin and Necromancer all look like middle aged cosplayers trying to look badass. It's baffling. How hard is it to make something grounded yet cool?
Yep, the Barb literally looks like a less muscle bound Dave Batista ffs.

Someone fucked up bad.

KBD

Fucking hell yes, dont really care for the New graphics from what I have seen, but a widerscreen version of the original d2 with some quality of life improvements, better servers and Hopefully some attempts to stop botting, never mind an active trading and pvp community if this takes off...

Cant wait!

Naruto

Jinchūriki
Advisor
I commented on my discord channel as we were watching the live presentation that I would have preferred HD 2D over 3D for a remaster, but honestly the fact that this will be on Switch is the sole reason I will buy, and it's a good enough reason for me.

Replaying D3 on Switch felt extremely fresh, the game runs well and looks very good on portable mode. The ability to play D2 on Switch is worth the purchase.

Simon

‏‏‎Resetera User
I commented on my discord channel as we were watching the live presentation that I would have preferred HD 2D over 3D for a remaster, but honestly the fact that this will be on Switch is the sole reason I will buy, and it's a good enough reason for me.

Replaying D3 on Switch felt extremely fresh, the game runs well and looks very good on portable mode. The ability to play D2 on Switch is worth the purchase.
As someone who played D3 on PC and then PlayStation, I have no doubt the console versions will be top notch, those versions, specially controller wise, are amazing.

I've always felt weird playing Diablo on anything but PC though, not sure why but it feels almost wrong.

Naruto

Jinchūriki
Advisor
As someone who played D3 on PC and then PlayStation, I have no doubt the console versions will be top notch, those versions, specially controller wise, are amazing.

I've always felt weird playing Diablo on anything but PC though, not sure why but it feels almost wrong.
It literally changes how you play the game, the most basic aspects of controlling your character in Diablo are different and honestly, the changes feel very good.

I've played Diablo on PC for two decades and it never felt more natural than it does on the Switch for me.

PlacidSanity

Unknown
Hmm, mixed feelings about this. :hmm. Would be interesting to see how this plays on consoles and it would be very entertaining to get back into that world again. But then you remember this is current Blizzard and loot boxes and such come to mind.:huh.

Probably will check this one out to see if co op will be big. Currently have D2 and expansion on my laptop and online co op is technically been a ghost town. I'm guessing that might have change with the announcement of this coming out and player might be back brushing on their skills until that game is released.:hmm

DemonDragonJ

you can't hurry love

That is very awesome news, and I am glad that Blizzard is finally remastering what is, in my mind, their best game, ever, but I rarely ever play video games, any more, so I shall likely not purchase this, and, even if I did still play video games, I wonder if they could maintain the same tone and atmosphere of that game. I read that the remastered version of StarCraft was very well-received, but that players were divided about the remastered version of WarCraft III, so I shall wait until I read reviews of Diablo II: Resurrected before I make any judgement about it.

I wonder if the remaster shall have any new content, or merely only what was in the original game (I cannot understand why the game never had rare charms; would those be too powerful)? It would be nice if some of the online-exclusive content could be made available in the single-player mode (most notably the unique charms and certain runewords). One thing that I did not like was that too many items granted abilities that were exclusive to specific classes; some instances of cross-class skills are acceptable, but I feel that there were too many instances of those in the original game.

Diablo 2's cinematics are still my favorite to this day. They have the best atmosphere, voice acting and sound/music. It was completely distinct from Blizzard's Warcraft side. Since they're remaking them from the ground-up, I'm mildly curious to see how they turn out. LoD's final cinematic is the exception, it kinda looks like shit and it's mostly "rule of cool" so a remade version wouldn't be bad.

Diablo II is still my favorite Blizzard game, to this day, but have you played the original Diablo? D2 has better gameplay, but, for atmosphere and sheer terror, nothing comes close to the original. Actually, I think that it would be awesome if Blizzard would remaster the original Diablo, but, given that they seem to have all but forgotten WarCraft and WarCraft II, it is not likely that they shall remember the original Diablo, either.

Top Bottom