1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Did bleach seem overwhelming (first impressions?)

Discussion in 'Society TV' started by 勇いさむ, May 30, 2007.

1. 勇いさむ Detective of The Daybreak

When I first saw bleach, it seemed overwhelming.
    It was the 2nd opening on tv with the fast paced song
    It seemed like it was about super fast strong samurais and other people individuals with weird powers.
    There were too many characters to keep track of o.0
    Keep in mind I was so tired from jet lag and could barely keep my eyes open:laugh

what were your first impressions?

Tags:
  2. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

when i first saw it on commercials on cartoon network it had awesome soundtrack theme music but seemed pretty lame like just another stereotypical boring story about a boring teenage male who meets a magic teenage female and gets magic powers and fights demons called hollows. but when i started watcing it then watching all the other episodes on youtube then reading the manga chapters, i totally realized it was a lot more and a lot better than that

3. Sena Kobayakawa Girls are: Yoona, HyunA

It didnt seem overwhelming to me. It just seemed like another anime that I would like lol.

4. Hellion loves Laura

The whole Ichigo and his dad interaction turned me off at first.

5. Kri aegrescit medendo

I had a friend recommend Bleach to me around half-way through the SS arc, but I paced myself (or, tried to) to keep it from being overwhelming. I watched 2 episodes a day to keep me from catching up too fast, but around 14 or 16 I sprinted all the way to where the anime was at the time (right before Hitsugaya found out about the Central 46 Chambers).

It wasn't overwhelming at all, though. I sucked it all up like a sponge. Actually, it was more like a leech, and I needed more blood Bleach, and I've been a manga reader ever since. :laugh

6. Lord Ishi Member

Not Overwhelming to me. I just was interested because I saw swords... All the overwhelmingness you talked about are what originally hooked me.

7. Catterix is a super awesome

At first it seemed really simple.

Then I bought into the sappyness.

And then I realised that its really a mediocre anime, but a nice one at that.

However, I was kind of... overwhlemed? at the amount of people. During the conclusion to the SS arc I was like; "So who betrayed who?"

8. Magoichi Original way of the Gun

Not at first. To be honest at a first glance I didn't think Bleach would be great. A story about a boy who goes to school, and can see ghosts. Thats what I basically thought it would be. But then I watched the story progress into the SS Arc. Thats when it became 'overwhelming'.

9. lagus New Member

I hadn't watched many animes before it.

I thought it started out with a good pace and good humor. I got bored of ichigo fighting hollows after a bit, but towards the end before the SS arc i was really getting into an ichigo/rukia relationship, then that ended and the rest was history; i got addicted and watched the rest in a weekend or two.

Nothing overwhelming i'd say; unfortunately I read about someone on these forums which ruined a plot twist, but i couldn't really help how into it i was.

10. delirium thyme

Quite the opposite. It was too slow for me. But luckily, I started Bleach with the Ichigo vs. Renji fight and that was just how I liked it. So when I caught myself up with the earlier episodes, even though they were kinda of boring to me, I knew what was coming up so I kept watching.

11. Maydrid Member

Not really. When I first came across it, I thought I wouldn't like it. So I didn't bother with it. Till a few months back when I was bored and looking for a new animie to watch. I started to download the first 50 eps. After the first few I was hooked..

12. SiSL The Hun

I like complex stories, with so many characters that actually has individual characters, stories and background. Bleach got me that way, rather than plotting on a single hero.

13. Xell ヽ(#`Д?)ノ

Waaay back in 2004 when it first aired in October, I heard it was good and there was a direct download so I thought "Hell I'm only watching Naruto at the moment (This was when I'd only seen 2 animes.. DBZ and Naruto, and of course that stuff on TV such as Pokemon, Digimon..). Saw episode 1 and found it rather.. "Meh", stuck with it and didn't really like it, so no, I didn't find it 'Overwhelming' but I have to admit I did enjoy Gin vs Hitsugaya and Renji vs Ichigo. But damn, this Vaizard Storyline is kickass, I'm loving it at the moment.

14. Morati Deez Nuts

I was about to drop the show after two eps until I read something about a Soul Society arc that presumably kicked ass. So I decided to endure the 20 ep horror and I'm glad I did.

15. bluewolf mostly lurking

it seemed a bit campy to me at first. like some kind of flower power hippy ninja show from the start creddits.

I started watching it during the naruto chunin exams because of seeing peoples sigs on this site but to be honest i was bored with it for the first 10 episodes or so... then between 10 and 15 i got hooked. curretnly it ranks higher than naruto for me.

16. Broleta Well-Known Member

I liked the into; the animation and song were very cool. That's about it besides good animation in the early eps though. It keeps me interested to the point where I want to watch the next ep and I like the current arc but Soul Society (and the intro arc) was pretty boring imo.

17. Metric Jay Chou tard

The first arc was fine to me, but once the SS arc started, i did notice how all the Captains were introduced in one go, along with VCs.

But i did race through the SS arc at about 8 episode a day :)

18. moonflowers And the rain stopped...

For me, Bleach was love at first sight. :) I needed something to procrastinate with since I'd watched all (that includes fillers!) of Naruto up to that point, and I wanted something a bit edgier than Naruto.

I'd read about Bleach on Wiki and wondered how a bunch of people in kimonos related in any way to a high school guy running around purifying spirits. Didn't seem interesting. When I finally did watch it on YouTube, the Asterisk opening impressed me immediately, and from there on it was a matter of willpower not to zoom through the whole thing in a day. :)

I do admit to a bit of wtf-spaz when all the shinigami were introduced in the span of three eps, but Wiki was immensely helpful in straightening them all out.

19. Metric Jay Chou tard

Yeah problem with Wiki is that you can read spoilers if you're not careful.

20. FrostXian Messiah With An Attitude

Trias: Read Bleach read Bleach read Bleach read Bleach read Bleach read Bleach read Bleach.
    That's my first impression.
    I can also edit it to write all characters are fags and walk away with it. It's not valid at all.

21. ☆Indigo☆ totally high on PoT

It wasn't really overwhelming at first. I originally just bought the first two or three volumes of the manga, then downloaded the entire anime...it took me forever to watch. xD;; I didn't seriously get into it until I watched through the middle of the SS arc...
    The amount of characters in the SS arc was kinda overwhelming, though. xD I couldn't keep track of them all...

22. November 11 Member

I pretty much got instantly into Bleach, since i hadn't really watched many anime from the shonen genre at that time.
    But i still really like.

23. Yondaime77 New Member

yeah it became overwhelming the first episode espicially when the hollows showed up and the contrast went brighter, man i miss that but im one of few that loved the beggining episodes.

24. Barry Overkooled

Yeah it is a bit overwhelming with so many characters, ranks, and the Zanpakutous.

25. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

when i watched the first few episodes dubbed, i thought it was ok, good quality i thought, and somewhat "hip" but then when i saw episode 16 when renji shows up he fights ichigo, and episode 17 when ichigo unleashed his inner power, i was 100% in love and i immediately watched all the way up to then-current episode 113 online

26. moonflowers And the rain stopped...

Then it's good that I actually *enjoy* spoilers. They make me want to really see something more. :)

@ LackingLack - I agree on the "hip" part. That was what really drew me in - Kubo's got such an amazing sense of style.

27. behelit Member

Bleach wasn't overwhelming at first. It was my second anime or maybe third and I had seen only Naruto at that time. And whereever I downloaded or read about Naruto (fanpages and forums) there were always sections about Bleach. The character design looked very cool and the opening was great, the story about a boy who can see spirits and shinigamis who kill evil spirits was also decent. But for me Bleach started to get exciting when Renji and Byakuya showed up because until then I had seen only Sado's and Orihime's lame powers (Ishida on the other hand was cool from the beginning) and Hollows who didn't look very cool, so when suddenly some really strong mofos turn up I really got anxious to see the rest and I watched it pretty fast to the end of canon material. It got cooler by the minute and though there were a lot of characters, they all were awesome (with only some exceptions).

Bleach is overwhelmingly good, that's true, but imo the latest episodes (the beginning of arrancar arc) aren't so good. Now there are really too much characters and I hope it gets better but I'll be honest - I haven't seen Kyouraku's, Gin's or Ukitake's bankai so I couldn't care less about new characters. I've seen the vaizards and some of the arrancars and I doubt there's a new Zaraki or Byakuya among them. :(

28. Akatora Active Member

Not overwhelming, since i startet from episode 1.

But i can imagine someone that just startet the show at ep 50 or something like that would be cofused.

Even though i've followed Bleach for 2? years by now i can't remeber every spelling nor can i remeber every name weve had.
    It's more complicated yet more realistic with the amount of characters involved.

But that is also one of Bleach strong sides it's just wow, thats alot.
    Just the incations for stuff, leaves you :oh cool, but could you say that again?

29. burning jazz hat Is a pretty shitty

I'm pissed at how I got into bleach-
    By watching an AMV of Aizen in action.
    FUCK.
    Ruined the biggest and best surprise in bleach. It would have been 10 times better if I hadnt known.

30. saprobe Let me see your pixels, Baby.

Hooked

I didn't find it overwhelming at first. The beginning in the human world was interesting but small in scope. I think once Gin showed up and blasted them out of the Soul Society the first time I knew that there was some kind of conspiracy going on and I just had to keep watching. Then once I saw the Soul Society Renji/Ichigo fight I was made into a complete addict.