1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Did Byakuya suffer brain damage at some point, or what?

Discussion in 'Bleach' started by Kimi Sama, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Kimi Sama A sphincter says what?

*edit* Shit, forgot to say, 247 spoilers abounds. Don't read on if you haven't seen the latest chapter.

....ok?

Good.

Ok, so Byakuya cared so much about his beloved adopted sister/sister in law (always did find that slightly confusing...does Rukia even know?) that he used his influence in SS to insure she was kept out of the higher ranks and thus only given crappy missions that wouldnt be too dangerous (not that that worked out too well for her anyway...).

Wee little nee-san Rukia's well being is the most important thing to him ever, aside from his self imposed inability to ever break rules ever again. Which we all know clashed later on, with hilarious results.

So anyway. Have I missed a chapter where Byakuya suffered severe head trauma, or was given a frontal lobotamy or something?

Because there is no way in hell that Byakuya should be comfortable with the idea of sending Rukia to Hueceo Mundo.

It is the origin of all Hollows in the entire world. The known dwelling of Vastlords, who make Captain class Shinigami look like trash. An ever expanding army of Arrancar. The ten Espada. Kaname Tousen, Ichimaru Gin.... oh, and Aizen Sousuke, quite possibly the most poweful being in existence

Quite clearly this is a suicidal level of danger. Even if all of the Gotei 13 10 went with her, she woud be in a huge amount of danger.

And of the two brief encounters she's had with Arrancar so far, she got a hand in her guts, and then later nearly got her head blown clean off.

And even if she makes it back, she is directly going against Yama-ji's orders. SS seem to be pretty freaking harsh with punishments (didnt she get that death sentence last time even before Aizen pulled strings?) so her future is not looking too bright.

And yet Byakuya not only is ok with her going, he actively helped her?

What. The. Smegging. Hell!?

Tags:
  2. omg laser pew pew! is feeling greedy

Kimi

I am appalled, if you've truly been up to date with the manga then someone of your considerable intellect should at least notice that Kubo seemingly climaxes whenever a character does a personality twist

3. Otherside ?????

I'm sure he'll rush to her rescue when things get tough.

Like, 100% sure.

4. ShuiMei Member

Obviously Byakuya's old method of showing his brotherly concern by not letting Rukia progress and do want she wanted didn't bode too well for his relationship with Rukia as they were distant and she was unhappy. I think his letting Rukia go off to Hueco Mundo shows how their relationship has progressed and how he's changed.

Keeping Rukia safe from harm won't necessarily make Rukia happy, or be what's best for Rukia, by letting her do what she wants and allowing her to grow without closing her off from the risk of harm makes theirs a relationship that is more open and honest. By letting her go Byakuya's still looking out for her, he's looking out for her wants and needs, by not letting her go, what would that do? It certainly wouldn't improve their relationship, and she certainly wouldn't be happy. It's better for him to trust and believe in her than to keep her at an arm's length.

I don't think Byakuya is thrilled about Rukia going to Hueco Mundo but he knows it's something she feels she has to do, and opposing her won't help their relationship, and it won't help her. Honestly, even if he did forbid her to go, she'd still go, better she go off with his (indirect) support than her go off without it. He's being a good brother.

Furthermore, who is she going off with? She's going with Renji to go meet with Ichigo, two individuals who have proven to Byakuya that they would go to the ends of the earth to save Rukia, two individuals who swore to their souls to protect her, she's in good hands. He may not admit to it, but he couldn't have left her in better care than in the company of Renji and Ichigo.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  5. Parell Sushi = love

No, that whole order was a fake one from aizen from the beginning, which was why many captains were confused and fought over it. Do you really think Aizen, planning for centuries, would leave his plans up in the hands of 46old men?

6. Hat Hair Back in Black

Fan service for the ladies and how Kubo likes to keep the ladies satisfied. It's the whole romance-rebellion thing Ichigo has going on.

"Oh, Byakuya is so sweet*, he cares so much about his sister; he's even willing to bend/break rules to help her out ! It's so romantic !"

*In real life, if a girl ever refers to you as "sweet", it means that she is not going to sleep with you. :p

7. ShuiMei Member

Byakuya's ultimate swoon moment was when he jumped infront of Rukia to take Gin's attack and then revealed that he actually wasn't a huge prick and really wanted to protect her deep down. It's that cold, aloof attitude with his secret soft-spot that makes Byakuya so appealing ;P

Honestly, I think people are making this into too much of a big deal. He wants to be a good brother to her, he wants a relationship with Rukia that is different and more supportive than their nonrelationship from before.

8. Jh1stgen Active Member

Kinda hard to see him like this bc it would've meant that he wuold've had to disobey the "LAW" which is absolute from his perspective

9. Oskar von Reuental ?ロ?

Actually, I'd be quite surprised if Byakuya didn't help them at all. He already cast off his old, obstinate, rule-following persona (shounen life lesson teaching him that following the rules is folly) in favor of something more given to sympathy.

10. Mori` <blink><font color="#DAA520">Sunshine.</font></bli

I thought it was fairly clear from the time Rukia went to earth and shikaifucked d-roy that Byakuya had eased up/let go of his overprotectiveness. Seemed like when her mod soul was talking that it was talking about events in the past.

Maybe thats just me though.

11. Zack_Strife Banana Samurai

The mod soul was talking about the past. When Rukia went to introduce herself she began to give her division, which probably would have been followed by a seat had D-Roy not cut her off. The first introduction she gave to Ichigo mentioned nothing about her division, which I suspect is because she was unseated.

12. khaos Member

ichigo just beat some sense into byakuya, thats all.. perhaps he now understands that no rule-set is perfect and sometimes to break a rule is the right thing to do, this was made painfully obvious to him when his loyalty to the law was harshly abused by aizen & co..

13. HugeGuy ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

That's the only explaination good enough for me. I myself was also wondering what the heck was wrong with Byakuya?

Honestly, the chapters have been subpar ever since they entered Hueco Mundo. Nothing's excited me save for Chad and Ishida Ownage. Nell is cute and all but the trio ain't doing it for me.

14. Trias For in the sleep of death...

Another thing that could've been great if Kubo had pulled it out properly. But, yes, only suitable reason for this to happen like that is brain damage. Let's try virtualizing it...

What the fuck? Holy shit, is Kubo dead and someone's trying to take on his position in disguise or something? Just what the fuck, he is trying to make some "plot twist" or "surprising news" at the last chapters, but the way he pulls out them all is just lame, sucking fucking lame...

That's it, dammit, where is my Naruto now, huh?!?!

15. Lurker Delurking Hiding in the Shadows

It's all very simple. He knows Rukis is his weakness and logic says that weakness is bad and must be dealt with. So he sends her to Hueco Mundo which just happens to be the most dangerous place in existance. If she makes it, he is just a good brother, if not no more Rukia, no more weakness. It's a win-win situation

16. FrostXian Messiah With An Attitude

PS: Aizen pulled strings all the way, Rukia wouldn't take a death penalty in normal situations.

17. Dr.Douchebag Terry Wrist

didnt byakuya break two promises?
    one to protect rukia:
    rukia: nii-sama i know u promised your wife to protect me but can i go the dimension full of hollows,espada who can break me in half w/o breaking a sweat , two captains who sneeze and i die and one handsome captain who can literally anally rape me with a thought?
    byakuya: sure!! ^^

two: isnt whatever yama says rules? and he promised to never break them to his parents

i know kubo wants to show that ichigo had an affect on byakuya which is fine but making him not care so much about rules anymore is kinda lame imo not "vintage byakuya"

18. lyrs_amv One lemonade too many

No, Byakuya rediscovered some braincells that had gone dormant after his wife died.

19. Sakura Kaijuu There is only the inevitable

Hmm. The plot is wearing a little thin, I'll admit that, but I'm not entirely surprised by Byakuya's actions.

He owes Rukia for keeping her in the dark for so long, and for letting her almost get executed. He probably wouldn't let her leave alone, and sending Renji, a shinigami who went up against him and survived his bankai, is a decent choice for a companion. Plus she was going to meet up with Ichigo, who kind of beat him.

Basically I think if you look at it from a character point of view, Byakuya is loosening up a little because his sister and his vice captain have proved that they can take care of themselves. Plus, if Byakuya was the one in charge of it, then he'd know they wouldn't mess up getting to Hueco Mundo.

20. nyce456 Heavenly Chain Moon Cutter

Where did he break the Law? Yamamoto told him to bring them back SS, he didn't say watch over them and make sure that they don't leave. Byakuka did his job and he followed the rules. It's like he said, " I didn't recieve orders
    on what to do after I brought you back." He didn' t break any rules. Truth be told, Byakuka never was cold hearted, it was his up bringing and his station in Soul Society that forced him to set a standard in which all people should follow, since he is the head of the 1 of the 4 noble families in SS.

21. Urahara Banned

B-e-a-utifully said.

22. Dr.Douchebag Terry Wrist

even if he didnt break the rules what about the promise to his wife to protect rukia not letting her proceed to higher seated positions and then all of a sudden letting rukia go to such a dangerous place?

like i said i know kubo wants to show that he has changed since SS arc but this is a tad too much

23. Trias For in the sleep of death...

Yes, it lacks foreshadowing, or proper rate of development, or whatever fuck it is... One second, it's like "There is no such thing. Period." and one second later "OMFG!!!" ... Kubo pulls out things out of his ass, instantly, and well...

24. Sakura Kaijuu There is only the inevitable

I think the issue Kimi's trying to bring up isn't the law itself but that it seems really odd for Byakuya to be the one to break it.

People are complaining because they didn't think Byakuya had it in himself to bend the rules as far as he did. But I agree with you about Byakuya's upbringing. Hell, Rukia was a lot colder when we first met her just because she was expected to be distant because of her rank as a noble.

25. ~Shin~ Spectacular Insanity

Quoted for the truth

26. Kimi Sama A sphincter says what?

Lots of common replies here, so I'll address themes rather than individuals;

-On the fact Byakuya didn't technically break any rules himself;

So there's nothing wrong with helping others to break rules, as long as you don't do it yourself? What Byakuya did is the equivalent of myself walking past a burglar and shouting him some encouragement rather than stopping him.

Yamamoto should still be totally pissed off. I've never liked this whole 'lol, but you worded the order wrong!' loophole cliche anyway. If I were Yama-ji I'd tell Byakuya no one likes a smart arse, and then make him scrub some toliets with a toothbrush or something.

-On the idea he's changed and is just being supportive;
    Being supportive is nice and all, but not the fact that in doing so he's letting her march off to her death.
    If I had a sister who really really wanted to go over Niagra Falls in a barrell, I wouldn't be a good brother if I let her.

Aside from which, it's not even a self imposed rule that he's breaking here. His beloved wife on her death bed made him promise to protect Rukia with all his strength.
    He's pissing all over that by letting her go.

Actualy I noticed something when I was rereading that whole scene. Hisana also made him promise never to tell Rukia the truth about her background. Which he has now done.

I don't think deathbed-side promises from Byakuya are worth a whole lot. Especially as he even broke the promise to keep Rukia safe earlier on in favour of his promise to his parents to keep the clan's honour, which apparently over ruled all previous promises to anyone.

Also as few people have pointed out, there was almost no forshadowing for this at all. Yes, Ichigo beating him with his 'free spirit' seems to have made Byaku change his mind about having to rules, but that doesnt excuse his lack of concern for Rukia's safety.

I mean, over all I wouldnt have been too fussed with this set up, had it been dealt with better. A scene with Rukia and Renji arguing with Byaku, and him eventualy deciding to let them go affter thinking about Ichigo and stuff would have worked. Something needed to be there.

As it is, it's a case of Byakuya up and deciding to let them go out of nowhere, and that doesn't sit well at all.

The Naruto equivalent would perhaps be Gaara not only saving Rock Lee from Kimimaro, but later suggesting that they throw a tea party to celebrate friendship and sunshine and kittens.

27. omg laser pew pew! is feeling greedy

Do not compare Pimp no Gaara to Byakuya, Wearer of Funny Hair Things

28. ShuiMei Member

Byakuya didn't seem to have any problems with allowing Rukia to go with Renji, Matsumoto, Hitsugaya, Ikkaku and Yumichika to Kakuraka Town. The way some of you are talking we should expect him to basically lock up Rukia in a room where she should never have the risk of being in danger.

Do people honestly think Byakuya should have told her not to go? Forbid her from going? Alienate her during this criticial time where she's worried about her well-being of her companion? A companion who came to Soul Society to save her, but now this companion's in danger, that he should have Rukia sit still in Soul Society, risking further alienation and creating more distance in their relationship after finally opening up to her for the first time since her adoption not too long ago?

When someone swears to protect someone, it doesn't only mean physically, Byakuya protected Rukia from physical harm for 40-50 years(?) but he didn't make her happy and their relationship was cold and distant. Why is it hard to believe after finally opening up to her that he's now looking out for her emotional well-being as well?

Byakuya understood that this was something Rukia had to do, something she would do no matter what or who said otherwise. Supporting her in this situation is better than antagonizing her and being unsupportive.

Part of growing up as an older brother is learning when and how to let go when necessary, this is one of those times.

29. khaos Member

sending rukia & renji to the real world (thats what he did), while not in literal violation of his orders, is (considering the situation) not something a captain should do and its going to get him in serious trouble with yama, if he finds out..

30. Dr.Douchebag Terry Wrist

rukia was ordered to go along with the gang to karakura

i get what u mean but what most people cant get is why send rukia to such a dangerous place? i mean care about her emotions fine but care about her emotional well being by sending her somehwhere where she could be seriously or even fatally be injured?