1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come enter in the Contest Central Drawing Contest!
    Deadline for entries is Sunday, September the 15th at 10pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Did Naruto seem overwhelming

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Rokudou Taichō, May 31, 2007.

1. Rokudou Taichō

When I first saw Naruto, it seemed overwhelming.
    There were too many characters to keep track of o.0
    Keep in mind I was so tired from jet lag and could barely keep my eyes open:laugh
    what were your first impressions?

Tags:
  2. mootz

well i didnt have jet lag so i kinda didnt get overwhelmed... plus i can read at a fifth grade level so.... im totally kidding.

naruto is not a complicated story and most of the main characters have very simple names. keeping up with captains and vice captains of bleach was much harder.

3. ♠Mr.Nibbles♠

It took me like a month to learn how to spell Konohamaru and even to this day I does second guess myself.

Yes I was overwhelmed when it comes to various spelling of characters names but in general the story is pretty simple to follow

4. Midomaru

Yes Naruto is way easier to understand if you compare it with Bleach.

With the 12 divisions, the humans, the hollows, the arrancar, the espada etc etc.

The whole Narutoverse fits in Bleach two times atleast.

5. AbnormallyNormal

yeah naruto is pretty intense at first its a very big like society of personalities interacting and evolving

6. ♠Mr.Nibbles♠

7. bloodstains

you obviously dont watch other anime. Compared to others, naruto is simple.

someone negged me and took about 4 points off. Way to fail. who was it?

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  8. Super-Scoop

Wasn't overwhelming for me. But I started reading it when it was at volume 2 in the manga, so to me, the characters were introduced gradually. :amuse

9. halfhearted

Same here. I started reading (Volume 2) and then watching Naruto (learned they'd made an anime around ep. 8) right when it was first coming out, so much fewer characters and plotlines when I started.

Although, people are right, in that Naruto is pretty straightforward compared to a lot of another anime out there, character numbers and plotwise. Especially compared to other shonen manga out there.

10. crossface

Before I started reading/watching Naruto I overheard friends talk about matchups between characters on the show and it seemed overwhelming. But after following the storyline from the start it didn't appear to be overwhelming as I had thought. It especially helps that characters are in teams. It's kinda like memorizing a string of numbers in chunks rather than number by number.

11. Vanillin

Actually, it was pretty easy for me to get use to. I would get Sasuke and Sakura's names mixed up at first, though. :p

Bleach though, it took me forever to remember names. I still have trouble with it.

12. Lemonade

I didn't find it overwhelming, it intrigued me, I kept on wanting to know more and more.

13. Canute87

It's sad but i'm at episode 127 in bleach and i only know a few characters.

It never took me so long to learn the names in naruto.Although at first i use to pronounce sasuke's name "SA-SUS-Kay

14. 9th

Hm, well for me I think i was kinda happy to read because i liked the concept of fighting, and the rule that it wasn't only power based.

I liked the sharingan, the kyuubified naruto, puppet jutsu, i thought they where original and liked how they fought. So i mostly enjoyed everything but i was never really found of the humour in Naruto or the actually storyline (except chunnin exam & the wave country arc which got me hooked).

15. Tri-Chan

Naruto was a little confusing for me at first but that was mainly because I kept mixing up mis-read information from reviews of it, with the actual series itself. Though a little far out, eveything else is a breeze though because luckily, Kishi does stop to explain the Naruto-verse when a complicated subject comes up.
    That's something that Bleach really suffers from unfortunately.

Comparing from when I started reading/watching it though, I just naturally accept everything. It's amazing what seems normal after 200+ episodes. :oh

16. Psallo a Cappella

No, I don't think it was confusing, I just hated when they threw new characters in...and they still are...and I dislike that...

17. Vandal Savage Supporting Staff

Flag:
    Sweden, United States
    I didn't get overwhelmed because Naruto is painfully simple. It was basically like other Shounen titles so it was easy to understand.

18. ~ Son of SPARDA ~

Naruto didn't seem overwhelming to me... how could it when there were only three main characters (Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura) to keep track of starting out, four if you include Kakashi??

19. orange-kun

in the past, i saw naruto in a banzai magazine and thought "what a crap", but after watching the first episode i got more and more into it and at that time it became like the best anime i watched

20. Yakushi Kabuto

I have yet to find a series that had me confused with the cast of characters as much as Angel Sanctuary did. But that aside, first impression of the series. I honestly thought it was a fairly shallow story about a boy who wants to become the best he could despite whatever barriers were placed in his way.

21. Larisha

I read the first few pages of the manga, and simply said: "WTF? Is that Mount Rushmore? What is a hokage?"

Once I got past the first chapter, I was fine, however. I was mildly interested, watched the anime...

AND THEN, Kabuto appeared. And later, Orochimaru. First image of him I ever saw was the one Anko showed us of him- Standing in the night, with the red outline. All I said was: "Wow. That is one awesome looking mofo." and I've been hooked ever since.

22. Circe

Bleach on the other hand...

23. Namicho

Nope. There are manga much more complicated than this one.

24. FFLN

The characters each had their own look or style, so they were easy to discern from one another. It's annoying when characters or their names are so similar that you get them confused with each other.

Anyway, "overwhelming" in Naruto is the amount that can happen in the Naruto-verse setting. It's quite large and the organizations and power structure are explained well enough that just about anything can happen in the story and at any place. In short, there's alot of room for adventure.

25. chaosakita

Naruto seemed overwhelming to me at first, but that's because I read the Wikipedia articles first before actually watching a single episode... :p