1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Discworld and Terry Pratchett

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Kimi Sama, May 25, 2005.

1. Kimi Sama

Anyone here a fan of the good Mr Pratchett and his amazing Discworld series?

I am! I've read all of the Discworld novels and am currently finishing his latest, Going Postal. I've also read (and loved) Good Omens.

How about y'all?

Tags:
  2. Catatonik

I could wax poetic about my love of Mr Pratchetts writing. I could compare it to the light of the sun, or I could do an inteprtive mime dace to show it...

But I don't want to end up hanging upside in a scorpion pit.

But yes, I am a huge fan of Pratchetts writing, and not just his Discworld books...infact, I usually surprise people when I say that's how I first got into Neil gaiman was through Terry pratchett.

I have a special soft spot in my heart for the Nightwatch books...Vimes owns.

3. jkingler

I love The Truth and Mort. Between Otto and Binky, I was laughing for days XD

4. Kimi Sama

Tsk, a few days and only two replies? Shame on you, rest of the board!

Possibly my favourite series as well. Vimes does indeed > all.
    Oh and do feel to wax poetic about Pratchett all you like Catatonic, there wont be a scorpian pit for you.

And yeah jKingler Otto rocks. He's got a cameo in Going Postal, which I much appreciated.

I think I'll rep you both for being the only two replies so far....

Yey boredom!

5. Catatonik

Thank you.

On that note, even Pratchetts kids books are brilliant, and I have to say he is possibly my single favourite author of all time.

Sharp, witty, vicious, insightful and emotion tugging.

6. TriSal

I love Pratchetts books and the best character is the Wizzard Rencwind he always make me laugth alot

7. Voynich

They're awesome! I love Terry Pratchett's writing so much. Too bad our library doesn't have all his books..and my cashflow doesn't allow excessive bookshopping. I read about 5 or 6 from the Discworld series... I prefer to read them in English, but sometimes (for a non native speaker) they're kind of hard to follow. <3333333 footnotes.

8. Catatonik

Yeah, the footnotes can really overwhelm you, but they add so much to the story. ;)

9. TriSal

If you haven?t read "Intersting times" then do it quickly because it?s the best ever book written by Pratchett

10. Literally Exaggerated

hardly. the best by Pratchett would be either Men at Arms or the Hogfather.

the Hogfather has Pratchett's best villain of all time, Mr. Teatime. Plus, it features Death, Pratchett's second best character after Vimes.

on the other hand, Men at Arms is the best story of the Watch. It has all the major players in the Watch (Carrot, Vimes, Angua, Detritus, Nobby, Fred), and you can tell Pratchett's really got a handle on them, but the watch hasn't yet becomes the insanely advanced organization it becomes later in the series.

after those, there are a bunch that are truly brilliant, including:

The Last Continent
    Night Watch
    Soul Music

11. Catatonik

Ever notice how each series has a theme to it.

I mean the Rincewind series feels almost cartoony/Looney Tunes in it's humour, with scenes like a horse that can go up vertical cliffs and will walk away from under Rincewind if he lets his feet touch the ground.

The Witches series is generally very psychological humour, with a lot of comments on human nature.

The Death series is very based in philosophy and respective theology.

:D

12. Kimi Sama

Yeah good point Catotonic, there definatly is a theme to all the series.

Adding on to the ones you said, I'd say that the Watch is also very psycological in it's humour, with lots of insight into human nature, and also character studies for Vimes and co since the story very much revolves around thier personalities.

Then we have all the random one off books, who tend to each do thier own thing. Small Gods did organised religion (and very well it did too), The Truth did the media, and Going Postal has been another excellent study into human nature, and also the Royal Mail lol.

And yeah LitteralyExaggerated, Teatime is definatly the best Pratchett villain that comes to mind right now. He's just so...intense

13. Catatonik

Pyramids does a pretty good look at religion and the people who follow it, and te Monstrous regiment is all about women in the army and equal rights.

Then there's Moving Pictures. ;)

14. Nost

I loved Thief of Time, man those history monks were cool.
    When I read a discworld book its like watching a movie, the way he describes scenes unfolding is way more visual than a typical book. Also he creates some of the most real characters and places all set in a unrealistic (or is it?) world.

15. Catatonik

There's no arguing that Pratchetts ability to bring his characters to life is what really drives the stories..even if the character is a footnote blurb who really has nothing to do with the story.

Interesting note...Listening to Primus while reading Discworld works disturbingly well.

16. SofaKing

I've just started reading the Disk World series. I read the "The Coulor of Magic" last week and read "The Lights Fantastic" yesterday.

I actually got into it after having read Good Omens a while back too, actually.

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like there are sub series in the Disk World, should I try reading the books in the order they were written or go for all of the rest of the ones with Rincewind in them first (I loved his character, especailly with Twoflower).

17. komrade_smith

words cannot describe my love for Prattchet. What a guy. My English teacher doesn't like him. Fool

I've actually been to a talk that Terry Pratchet held in my local library, there was only room for about 60 people. It was absolutely fantastic. I couldn't quite beleive it when I saw that Prattchet was coming to my crappy town :D

18. Catatonik

sofaking, do all the Rincewind series first, then the Guards series, then Death, and then the Witches, followed by the miscellanious books, the kids books and the graphic novels ;)

19. Aternox

I love Pratchett, I really do. I must admit that Pratchett books are the reason why I improved my Engrish. I badly wanted to read those books =3
    My favourite serie is the NightWatch one, I love Carrot, and Death, of course. I have a really soft spot for Rincewind, and I was really ouched by the Monstrous Regiment.
    I'm currently patiently waiting for " Thud!" to be out ( yay! another Vimes' book!)
    And I am secretly in love with "the Amazing Maurice and his Educated rodents"

X3

20. Bshj

I'm another huge terry pratchett fan, ive read all his books (i think, all the discworld ones anyway) at least twice. Definitely my favourite series of books. He did a book signing in my town for the launch of "A hat full of sky" so ive got a signed copy of that.
    He is just a machine, its incredible how he can write such quality books so quickly.

My favourite book is "the truth"

"He's a vampire!"

"I object most stronkly," said the hidden Otto. "It iss such an easy assumption to believe that everyvun with an Uberwald accent is a vampire, is it not? There are many thousand of people from Uberwald who are not vampires!"

William waved his hand aimlessly, trying to shrug off the embarassment.

"All right, I'm sorry, but--"

"I am a vampire, as it happens," Otto went on. "But if I had said 'Hello my cheeky cock sparrow mate old boy by crikey,' what vould you have said zen, eh?"

"We'd have been completely taken in," said William.

Mr. Tulip is one of my favourite chacters ever, its a shame he dies, i'd have liked to see more of him.

Mr. Tulip: "That ---ing zombie is ging to end up on the end o a couple of ---ing handy and versatile kebab skewers. An' then I'm gonna put an edge on this ---ing spatula. An' then ... then I'm gonna get medieval on his arse."
    Mr. Pin: "How, exactly?"
    Mr. Tulip: "I thought maybe a maypole. An' then a display of country dancing, land tillage under the three-field system, several plagues, and, if my ---ing hand ain't too tired, the invention of the ---ing horse collar."

For anyone who hasnt read it, i didnt edit that, its how he actually speaks.

I'm currently re-reading "the last continent" and "the last hero".

21. Catatonik

Currently gearing up to buy Going Postal the Almanack and a copy of the Last Hero

Oh yeah.

In honour of that, I just read the Witches books through again.

My god but does Granny terrify me.

22. Voynich

Just finished Mort, Pyramids and Reaper Man last week. It sucks they are fairly hard to get over here. =/

23. Catatonik

That does suck.

I have almost the entire collection.

Icluding the RPG and Nanny Oggs Cookbook :D

24. Vikrat

I love Pratchett,ahrd to choose a facourite among them tough,there' so many of them.Mort is really good, and i really like most of the watch books too and then there's Good OMens that he wrote together with Neil Gaiman,i loved that one.

25. moer

my god, so pratchett isn't only my favaurite? i don't have much friends that are interested reading so i don't really discuss books with anyone, this is nice to know, up untill now i have two of his books, the amazing maurice and his educated rodents, and reaper man, even though the first book i mentioned is for kids i still love, i hope to get more of his books, but i'm broke now, and there isn't a good library around me, but at least i know what to look for

26. Catatonik

Maurice rocks.

I recommend looking for Guards, Guards next. It's a really good (re-)starting place.

27. Yue Ryong

I used to really like the discworld series, but I've gotten a little behind of late and the last one I looked at was Theif of Time

28. Catatonik

Yue need to catch up (punintended)

:)

Goig Postal rocks.

So does the Monstrous Regiment

29. jkingler

Having read some of the Night Watch books (namely Night Watch) about a month ago, I can now safely say that Vimes is among my favorite Discworld characters :thumbs

And I still have my pristine, signed, hardcover copy of Thud! to look forward to :drool

*will get to it after A Feast For Crows :dance*

30. abfluvver

Death is my favourite character <3
    Especially when he is Bill Door.

And then Nanny (and Greebo) after that.